Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 17th Januray 2013, 12z Onwards

Brad lough

Posted

I have circled a growth in ppn behind the front....is this a sign of more ppn developing, ready to join the front?? next 20 minutes will tell us yes or no....

post-9222-0-97664100-1358465784_thumb.pn

Yeah, noticed that too Paul - reinforcements from the backlines :)

Posted

All going to plan. Timing excellent from NAE as is current wet bias before snow signal suddenly becomes more pronounced by 03z onwards:

Looking great Ian. Glad it's all going to plan.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

I was 13 back then, was really the only time I remember it snowing as a kid.

And I was teaching at Thomas Hardye in Dorchester, and it was absolute chaos all week! Loved it - apart from the power lines going down the day of the biggest snow fall. Kinda took the edge off the fun of having no work to go to...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter and summer

I think its on the cards mate.

it is. Been too long .

I know it's not snowing here but it's very interesting watching it all fall into place.

Have fun!

Posted

All drinking copious amounts as well!! rofl.gifrofl.gif What does that say about the state of our education system?? laugh.pnglaugh.png

It says that we are well rounded individuals that bring fun into teaching :D

Actually what it says is that every night that isn't a school night is a drinking night as we are so bleedin' stressed we need alcohol to numb the pain.

Posted

All going to plan. Timing excellent from NAE as is current wet bias before snow signal suddenly becomes more pronounced by 03z onwards:

I've just looked at raintoday radar and the precipitation from the incoming front is really pepping up just off SW tip of cornwall.

Looks like things will develop to give some heavy pulses of precip in a few hours time and into rush hour!

Posted

Rain starting to pep up here now - was wondering where it had got to! Quite gusty at times too. Not particularly exciting - wind and rain are par for the course down here. Still, at least it is moving along - brace yourselves.

'Tis Coming.

Posted

Yes - the SE feed hasnt quite kicked in yet, so frontal boundary at around Plymouth is rain or sleet at present on a mainly southerly feed. However this will change soon I would think. Look like the Met have it about spot on for 3am to be widespread frontal snow across Devon and into Somerset with slow progression eastwards.

Slower the better as far as I am concerned - even holding out a slight hope that the front may slide and pivot a little more than forecast and hold the main precipitation to the south. Those in the north and east need to realise that we get sick to death of watching streamers off the north sea while we usually bathe in cold rain off the atlantic. Time for the SW to have its revenge for the first time since the famous Dorset Snow Dump of February 1996. !!!

The last NAE had a shift west a little, hopefully again on next one :)

Posted

Hey Ian .F

hows the PPN amounts coming on?

Noticed for my are has increased for friday from 12mm to around 15mm, not a major change but an increase.

other areas still the same?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Does anyone have a link to the rough snow times please? I probably should go to bed but I want to see the snow start.

In about 3 hours time the snow should be setting in. Depends where you are in Somerset a bit though... I'm reckoning on 3am into the Taunton Deane area.

Posted

I've just looked at raintoday radar and the precipitation from the incoming front is really pepping up just off SW tip of cornwall.

Looks like things will develop to give some heavy pulses of precip in a few hours time and into rush hour!

We anticipate light rain spreading E ahead of WBFL and DP drop maybe even to N Somerset before full transfer to snow. Panic ye not. All as expected thus far.

Posted

Hi guys just popped in from the EA thread I'm based in Norwich and have already taken quite a hit the last week. Just popped in to see if the fun and games have started for you guys yet and to see if its on the right side of marginality for you ? Fingers crossed for you

Posted

In about 3 hours time the snow should be setting in. Depends where you are in Somerset a bit though... I'm reckoning on 3am into the Taunton Deane area.

Thanks. :)

Once I am asleep waking up will be a problem lol. Maybe I should crack the blackberry vodka and go for gold.

Posted

Now snowing on West Dartmoor, started off with a bit of drizzle, then sleet and now snow, even though its light. Winds really picked up and is currently around 2 degrees, lowering by half a degree every hour. Bring it on! !

Posted

Now snowing on West Dartmoor, started off with a bit of drizzle, then sleet and now snow, even though its light. Winds really picked up and is currently around 2 degrees, lowering by half a degree every hour. Bring it on! !

Whoop whoop! Enjoy dear

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

You should see how much is sunk on a staff night out, especially Xmas!! drinks.gif

I use to be an LSA, Xmas dos were absolute riots! back o/t dp -2 temp 3.1c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: what's the bloody point when you live in Britain

Right, I've just arrived near the brecon beacons. My w.end walking and camping begins! Hoping to get a few snow pics. Just hope my tent doesn't leak!

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Same here Enforcer though has eased of in last hour. Temperature here is 0.9c Dewpoint -2c

Managed to get max/min thermometer working to give a dew point reading. Temp 1C Dewpoint -0.2C.

Posted

@marknealweather on Twitter has the most beautiful radar image on his timeline, seriously gorgeous.

I have added his name as don't want to steal his grab, it seems rude. But if you have twitter then go and look. smile.png

Edit> Doh! Just seen that he is a member on here. If he made his twitter name and netweather name clearer then I may have made the connection ;) lol

Edited by dancing daisy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

We anticipate light rain spreading E ahead of WBFL and DP drop maybe even to N Somerset before full transfer to snow. Panic ye not. All as expected thus far.

Is the snow still forecast as far west do you know Ian?