Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Discussions 17th January 2013 onwards

The watcher

Posted

whatever low level snow we had is gone. temp up to 1.9c today. took a spin out to corcaghan [200mts] earlier and fantastic wintry scene. must be 6 - 8 inches snow on the grass. no thaw at all and nicely froze now. my 2 yr old loved it! will put up pics in a while.

Posted

Someone correct me if im wrong but i think another problem could be the fact that we have had a slack airflow which means many of the showers that have developed over the irish sea have been given more time to take some heat from the sea when they are developing. A stronger airflow would mean less modification.

You're not wrong at all, and an increased flow means more precip generally speaking, and moves it more inland, spreading the joy!

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Some showers here of rain,temp 2.3,a much differant morning to yesterday. Yesterday morning was frosty and a few degrees below zero,this morning just a blanket of cloud,no frost last night due to the cloud cover.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Rain for me again today. Greenland high where art thou.

If any of you are having problems uploading pictures, email them to me and I'll post them for you.

Or, as a quick and easy guide, click on attachments in the more reply option, add them, then click on add to post beside the attachment.

P.S. New thread on Friday as we start the hunt again.

Edited by The watcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Er, Watcher, the last cold spell hasn't finished yet. It's snowing again in Four Winds. Very grey skies.

I know, but the coast is unlikely to see snowfall this late in the game as the mix in the uppers makes the attempts weaker for me. Alright for inland areas but a sleety mix here. Don't expect anything more for my area now basically (hopes reverse psychology works).

Posted

It's raining here skywatcher .. Few mins up the road and it's snowing with you :( it's still sort of lying on paths and gardens but roads have a lot I grit on them so they are clearing up. Just slushy.

Posted

It's raining here skywatcher .. Few mins up the road and it's snowing with you sad.png it's still sort of lying on paths and gardens but roads have a lot I grit on them so they are clearing up. Just slushy.

It's raining here skywatcher .. Few mins up the road and it's snowing with you sad.png it's still sort of lying on paths and gardens but roads have a lot I grit on them so they are clearing up. Just slushy.

We've just had to dig the car out!

Posted

We've just had to dig the car out!

Wow! Nice! (although obviously not the inconvenience) .. we're just rainy/sleety here .. so localised then

Posted

I'm not too despondent with the pending westerlies inbound. We have had at least 5 inches on the ground since fri and all still here. Been abetter cold spell than last one in 2010-11 which was colder but less snowy for me. Having said that hope more snow middle feb! Would be icing on the cake for me

Posted

Meto now dropped cold period with snow in mid feb! Thank god Iv seen snow in that case otherwise this would have been a dreadful winter for us ! Sorry to the ones that have missed last 5 days though. Snow has been brilliant inland and elevated areas!

Posted

it's been a non event for dublin this cold spell. so much promise that failed to deliver here. temps generally hovered betwwen 2-3c during the day so was too warm for any snow. here hoping for a huge north easterly outbreak in feb... not too convinced though but always hope :)

Posted

Well I feel your pain guys. I'm off to Chicago and boston for a week on 9th feb so have an eye on the charts for then. Hoping for brutal cold and snow though doesn't look like it presently though long time for that to change.

Posted

Looks like a large shower forming over the Isle of Man is about to hit the Ards Peninsula - it's producing sleet on the Isle of Man, so looks like something wintry is about to hit the coast?

Posted

Indeed, ppn on its way, but I would have thought it unlikely it would snow near the coast. However, the parts of Belfast with elevation might be hit again.

I've been sitting here trying to make sense of skew-t/w and e diagrams so this is perhaps a timely opportunity to post one and comment. Never ever stuck my neck out before like this so be kind to me, lol.

The comment is very brief: are the temps at the higher levels too high for snow? Temps above zero there. Feedback appreciated.

Oh dear. No diagram! It showed temps just above zero between 1000-850.

Edited by skywatcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

you're all alone... shhh, shhh... and so peaceful until!

Posted

out in corcaghan this evening and barely a bit of thaw yet. light graupel falling and lying when i was there. 6 days of snowcover and will take a bit of thawing i think.

Posted

Reasons why the cold snap in Dublin was utter rubbish

1. PPN was so light ,intensity would of brought temp down

2.South easterly winds are to warm off the Irish Sea, unlike easterly/northeasterly

3.If it was snowing in London at -1 what chance had we got when the ppn got here extremely modified

4.Temps were constantly on the wrong side of marginal

5.All the PPN that came across was from a low pressure , no conventional showers (we may of done better)

All in all very poor ,high ground done very well as you would expect ,maybe a slight adjustment to the wind direction would of helped

Edited by cold snap