Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion - January 18th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Yes the front seems to be moving at a fair old rate. If it continues at the same rate, this front could be with us in about an hour and a half. Expecting it to start stalling soon though, so will probably take much longer.

Posted

Nice streamers developing in the north sea as well. Shame they don't seem to be coming onshore yet, but could be one to watch for later!

Posted

well, looking forward to another day of reading about the snow rather than having any here, not, met office local forecast have it arriving here at 3pm when i would think it will have pettered out to not alot, certainly not much forecast for the weekend either so another near miss like it was monday, have fun everyone

Posted

I think the predictions are slightly inaccurate. Snow was originally forecast to hit our region from about 3pm, but the front seems to be coming in at a much quicker rate. Unless it slows up massively in the next hour, we could be in on the action. Especially if it stalls over our region!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

I think the predictions are slightly inaccurate. Snow was originally forecast to hit our region from about 3pm, but the front seems to be coming in at a much quicker rate. Unless it slows up massively in the next hour, we could be in on the action. Especially if it stalls over our region!

yes 1-2 hours at this rate will see it over yorkshire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Yes it looks to be advancing quickly, good 5cm in my front garden after yesterday's Fall. Could get more than 10cm after today if NAE is accurate and so far it has.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...

This may be a daft question, but if the front is moving at quite a speed, then why would it stall over us? unsure.png

I have heard of fronts slowing down before, but what would actually make it stall? huh.png

Posted

The front should pivet and slow may even look like might not reach us n once the winds turn more of a easterly watch them showers move in. laters

Posted

Such a roller coaster ain't it? First we were told we'd get a pasting, en we were going to miss out, then looks like we're back on! Just goes to show when forecasting snow, the best thing to do is just wait for the event then look (obsessively) at the radar!

This may be a daft question, but if the front is moving at quite a speed, then why would it stall over us? unsure.png

I have heard of fronts slowing down before, but what would actually make it stall? huh.png

Cos there's a large block of cold air to our east. The milder Atlantic air tries to get in but hits the cold air like hitting a brick wall and slows and is forced sout east. Wait until later, and you'll see the front 'pivot' round as it starts to slow up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Colder denser air this side of the pennines along with a freshening easterly and the front should pivot somewhat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...

Colder denser air this side of the pennines along with a freshening easterly and the front should pivot somewhat.

Ah.Thanks! good.gif

Posted

Breakfast weather seems to be about 2 hours behind time. The front they show for 9am is what it looks like at the moment! Certainly seems to be moving quicker than expected this front.

Posted

A good sign of the main front approaching will be a big increase in the wind speed!!!

Posted

Breakfast weather seems to be about 2 hours behind time. The front they show for 9am is what it looks like at the moment! Certainly seems to be moving quicker than expected this front.

yes they had it crossing birmingham at 9-00 but its already there.deff moving quicker but may slow down as it starts to fizzle out slightly.looking ok tho

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold blasts, snowy Summer hot sultry thunderstorms

And just to add, nice area just moving in off the sea from the s/erofl.gif

post-16159-0-02833100-1358495492_thumb.j

Posted

One point when viewing your local bbc half hour update.These are recordings so be wary of what they show on the radar and outside show.they will i feel upgrade the snow post lunch time or before!!!

Edited by swfc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and really hot summers

front from the south west really gathering pace now!!

what about skeggy looks like we are to far from the west and too close for the north sea showers to have an impact to my untrained eye cheers fella Edited by Posh12

Posted

I'm still not confident in seeing anymore than a dusting here, but hopefully i will get a pleasant surprise.

im with you on this one, we will be in the gap between the front coming from the west and the showers comming from the east i feel