Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion - January 18th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

20cm?! We were never going to get that much, 10cm at best.

makes ya wonder if people just read the papers and take it as gospel

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

Its a total non event in West Yorkshire - where is the 20cm of snow going to come from!

The weather forecast forced me onto the train

Shall in invoice the met office £14 for the train i didnt need to catch!

I should have driven to work today!

It can only possibly be a non event if the event doesn't occur after its predicted window of opportunity. Unless you have a crystal ball that is.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

2cm to 5cm possible 10 cm on higher ground.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild Spring , hot summer , crisp autumn and snowy cold winters

ahh feels better in here now I have made use of that ignore button ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold.

Adam, please do us all a favor and stop your moaning. It isn't forecast to arrive yet, and the models are constantly changing, even I as a noob can tell that.

In other news, there is nowt yet at Sheff Airport, but still not due anything for another hour so I have faith in it arriving soon. good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild Spring , hot summer , crisp autumn and snowy cold winters

Clouds seem to be thickening before the expected arrival :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold blasts, snowy Summer hot sultry thunderstorms

Yes mark i saw this earlier and think sunday into monday is shaping up to be quite an event be interesting to see

the high-res models tomozz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

makes ya wonder if people just read the papers and take it as gospel

Exactly, a forecast is only a prediction, not a certainty. Some people must think the guys down at Exeter all sit around a crystal ball then add what its showing on the website.

I honestly think the METO will get a few emails today from people complaining that they only got 12cm instead of 20cm.

Posted

Clouds seem to be thickening before the expected arrival smile.png

I thought that to, clouds are gathering and getting thicker and checking radar snow should be arriving in sheffield within the nxt 45 mins - 1 hour possibly sooner :)

Posted

Well I have to say that the latest bbc forecast graphics were dreadful! A few light flurries on the Pennines! Showed no snow in the region and NO snow showers! A complete and utter non event. Whilst everyone else in the south and east can say remember jan 2013 -well no, was nothing here! Media are just as bad implying the midlands as the whole country!

Alright mate, its looking quite good for you at the minute, its reached Stamford, Peterborough and is swing up into Wisbech so it looks like its going to reach you swinging up from the south too.

Its in your neighborhood.

Posted

Yes mark i saw this earlier and think sunday into monday is shaping up to be quite an event be interesting to see

Yes, i should point out the ensembles run at a lower resolution. However, both the GFS and UKMO show a period of snow in that time-frame and have improved it. Will see what the 12z's say!

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

Nothing on the last NAE for Sunday Morning.

But it does show that South Yorkshire could be in for a lot of snow in the next 24 hours. The accumulations (don't believe the amounts, but its a guide) say 15 cm's for South Yorkshire by Midday tomorrow. Although given they have it wrong even at T3 hours, with it saying snow should be over most of Yorkshire when its not even reached here yet, never mind 2 and half hours ago.

Edited by cowdog

Posted

Some areas in midlands etc were on yellow alert this morning they are now on orange so as you see its changing all the time and still time for us to be upgraded but alot of snow will still fall 2-5cm locally 10-15cm higher ground but the weather will decide what it wants to do not the bbc forecast! enjoy everyone and be safe out there

Posted

Lol loving Adam lufcs' posts..

We got to keep bearing in mind, this type of set up of atlantic fronts hitting against NE blocking are notoriously difficult to forecast, usually don't know exactly what's gonna happen until T+12 or even to nowcasting (as likes of JH and others constantly tell us)...so everyone relax and see what the rest of the day offers for us....

Posted

Some areas in midlands etc were on yellow alert this morning they are now on orange so as you see its changing all the time and still time for us to be upgraded but alot of snow will still fall 2-5cm locally 10-15cm higher ground but the weather will decide what it wants to do not the bbc forecast! enjoy everyone and be safe out there

yep some people are worrying about something they can not control its pointless

Posted

Alright mate, its looking quite good for you at the minute, its reached Stamford, Peterborough and is swing up into Wisbech so it looks like its going to reach you swinging up from the south too.

Its in your neighborhood.

im 25 miles from peterborough so anytime within the next hour or 2 maybe

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Front seems to have slowed even more plus some minor weakening going on. Needs a boot up it jacks and some weetabix.

Posted

im 25 miles from peterborough so anytime within the next hour or 2 maybe

http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/Home/ZoomRadar?lat=48.7375&lon=17.954545454545453&z=7&x=1080&y=615

If you find the UK on this radar it shows the edge of the front pushing into your area, it may not deliver as of yet but it shows that its reaching you so anything can happen.

Posted
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL

Guys I doubt that front will reach most of us now, it seems to have ground to a halt.

But I expect snow showers this evening/overnight to give some areas a good covering.

When you say most of us, are you suggesting that it wont even reach west yorkshire?, looking at the radar its not far from huddersfield

Posted

Guys I doubt that front will reach most of us now, it seems to have ground to a halt.

But I expect snow showers this evening/overnight to give some areas a good covering.

I'm not surprised to be honest HC, the cold block seems to be solid!.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

Its moved 10 miles since 8 am, and given the models got its current progress very wrong, the odds of it starting to move our way do not look good. Still all could change as after all its snow and nobody knows what its going to do, but the current observations don't look good for us.

Posted

Very light snow started so just the wait for it to beef up a bit. Could do with the MOD doing some cloud seeding experimentation, turn it into a frankenfront.