Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion - January 18th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

When you say most of us, are you suggesting that it wont even reach west yorkshire?, looking at the radar its not far from huddersfield

I have a feeling it's stalled in it's current position and won't move much for a good few hours.

Posted

Anybody expecting large snowfalls between now and this time tomorrow - away from the peaks of course - (in inland areas anyway) should prepare for disappointment, because the band will break up and give only light flurries over our region by the time it gets here. Unless convection really kicks into gear, which seems unlikely for those of us in West Yorkshire for example, anything more than 1/2cms would surpass my expectations. (based on NAE, GFS, UKMO, METO, BBC etc etc).

Sunday-Tuesday looks very promising at this stage and a completely different ball game to today's weather.

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

Defo looks like its slowed down and is breaking up a bit on the front, just need to it to keep pushing.

Posted

Metoffice now shows snow for barnsley at 4pm and not midday so it seems it has stalled a little and may take a while longer to reach but they have us down for snow throughout the night ahd heavy snow into saturday

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Front pulling away from us now as it moves back and forth. Like being at the dentist waiting for a tooth extraction and you're fifth in line.

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Ok, this is odd. Just checked latest Met office local forecast and they are now saying heavy snow for all of Saturday afternoon and Evening, as well as Heavy snow for Sunday. This has changed since this morning. It cant be from the current band as that would be well out the way by then, so I wonder what data / run its coming from as I haven't seen any run suggesting snow around those times, never mind heavy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

Looks like the muddafuddas rolled us.

Posted

When you say most of us, are you suggesting that it wont even reach west yorkshire?, looking at the radar its not far from huddersfield

Look on the 'rain today radar' in the last 2 hours the band has pretty much stayed stationary a few miles south west of sheffield, if anything is retreating/dying. So I think it's not looking great for south yorkshire now. There is still movement closer to west yorkshire (as most of what energy becomes left is expected anyway to move up the western side of the pennines.) I think western fringes of west yorkshire could see something but amounts now look like being small.

Posted

Guys I doubt that front will reach most of us now, it seems to have ground to a halt.

Yep - the front seems to be dying a death on the West and South Yorkshire border. It has stalled and is losing intensity all the time. A shame, but to be fair, it was forecast to be a pretty pathetic affair last night for the region. We have a covering of 1-2cm from last nights unexpected falls and there does appear to be opportunities for further falls later this weekend so cannot be disheartened at this stage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.

I,m beginning to wonder if the snow will ever reach us on the lincs coast. looking at rain today radar that snow is really struggling at the mo!

Posted
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL

Look on the 'rain today radar' in the last 2 hours the band has pretty much stayed stationary a few miles south west of sheffield, if anything is retreating/dying. So I think it's not looking great for south yorkshire now. There is still movement closer to west yorkshire (as most of what energy becomes left is expected anyway to move up the western side of the pennines.) I think western fringes of west yorkshire could see something but amounts now look like being small.

Thanks

Posted

Very light snow. I still reckon i could squeeze a cm or two (like yesterdays surprise snowfall) by tomorrow morning. Not great but every little helps. As noted, Sunday to Monday is looking interesting for a possible region wide snow event.

Posted

I know they say you shouldn't take these charts as gospel on these but its still looking good by 6pm this evening

At this stage I cannot see this chart verifying as the energy in the front is ebbing away slowly. However, if the winds pick-up later today from the east, could this pep up the front similar to last nights falls?

Posted

ITSY says it all, Sunday-Tuesday is looking better, although i remember that being said at the beginning of the week about today. wallbash.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

What a nightmare lol. Let see if any of those north sea convective showers push inland?

Posted

ITSY says it all, Sunday-Tuesday is looking better, although i remember that being said at the beginning of the week about today. wallbash.gif

It was always looking likely that the band may struggle to reach us, apart from a few days where the runs seemed quite progressive about it. It was always going to struggle given the set up.

Posted

At this stage I cannot see this chart verifying as the energy in the front is ebbing away slowly. However, if the winds pick-up later today from the east, could this pep up the front similar to last nights falls?

It could yes , yesterday afternoon came out of the blue no one expected it

Posted

How quickly the radar went bomb.gif BOOOOM

Light snow here, nothing to sell your soul for though.diablo.gif