Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion - January 18th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Yepp can see a few flakes falling now!

please forgive me, but i am still underwhelmed by what is falling, lol. its an insult to snow to call what is falling snow, lol Edited by sparky1972

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Just thought I'd post the Leeds forecast - they must be expecting something, but I'm lost at the moment. Not sure if the showers will affect here if this front manages to cross us (while being very light so effectively useless). Guess there's orographic snowfall, but not sure if it will affect this far east. Who knows.

f66b35e68c7d4ac38e244c3.png

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Showers are running SE-NW. York not going to see any yet unless wind changes direction to more of an easterly.

Showers just reached here in Malton, unexpected as the showers were missing us completely earlier, so the same could happen with York within the next few hours, the winds are slowly turning more to the East so it should become more favourable for areas further inland. Out in the van at work around York this afternoon so hoping to see some decent snow.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Just played the 2hr animation. The front is still pushing north but dying out as it comes and will eventually get back to the same position it was about two hours ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.

Anyone knowledgable posters out there understand why the snow is very slightly melting as you can see the wet patches next to it when the temp is still -1.3?? Thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

You can see the showers being forced northwards as the front tries to move north, especially in East Anglia. sad.png

Hornsea must be getting plastered.

Hi, I'm 7 miles inland from Hornsea, we're getting a few light to moderate snow showers.

Nothing much really so far.

B. :)

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

The METO have moved the light snow forward from 3pm to midday and it has been snowing for the past hour.

They give light snow all day so we shall see. Plenty of heavy snow through Sunday forecast now.

Posted

Just played the 2hr animation. The front is still pushing north but dying out as it comes and will eventually get back to the same position it was about two hours ago.

Yes, I have noticed this change in the front. The initial SW-NE movement stalled and died back just before it reached Yorkshire. However the pivot is now clearly visible with a more Northerly movement to the front. Not sure if it is just an error on rain today, but the last frame of the animation (12.45) shows darker echoes re-appearing which if true can only be a good thing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

It's definitely moving northwards again at a much faster pace - all I'd like is a few cm on top of the snow we already have, I'll be content then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Yesterday's evening snow was unexpected and unforecast but just gave about a centimetre here, topping up the covering to about where it was two days ago (2cm on the grass). I'm not hopeful about this frontal system as it is struggling to make much progress and is likely to keep weakening as it pushes north, but I should be in the firing line for snow showers off the North Sea over the weekend- I'm surprised at how many have got going near the coast today given that the winds aren't far east of south, and there are already some just a few miles to the NE of here.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

Wind seems to have picked up and changed direction to a more E/SE.

Posted

Anyone knowledgable posters out there understand why the snow is very slightly melting as you can see the wet patches next to it when the temp is still -1.3?? Thanks.

Even when it's cloudy the sun is capable of warming surfaces just above freezing.

Radiation energy penetrates the cloud layer for example solar panels still have an output especially under a 'bright' cloud layer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine! High humidity - clear blue skies. Heavy snow.

Just been walking around Leeds centre - very windy around Commercial Street and bitting easterly winds

It was snowing last night even when i could see the moon lol mega_shok.gif

Posted

Good day for a walk on the North Yorks Moors, i bet theres some nice showers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

Stalled front now pivoting and intensifying. South East edge moving quite quickly north in last 30 minutes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, torrential rain.

Matt Hugo's latest tweet should cheer a fair few of us up!

Edited by richjb78

Posted

http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/home/maps?bg=0

A larger field of view for the radar. Look where the only clear skies are..... a line from the wash up through Lincolnshire and Yorkshire to the west of Scotland. Everyone else has snow!

Posted

Matt Hugo's latest tweet should cheer a fair few of us up!

Indeed, and that would be a huge bonus. Looks like the front is doing its best to give something for everyone with EA getting some snow now as well. If that tweet is right could be very nice later on. Trecherous though, as if it isn't already!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

Why does the bbc image of the potential snow look nothing like what can be seen on rain today?

Might just be my lack of knowledge or misinterpretation but it looks totally different!!