Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion - January 18th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

Is the main band of snow heading to north lincs , scunny or am I totally been a tool and seeing what I want to see and not what's actually happening.

Posted

Does any one believe all that feed from the north sea will pep up the band of snow???!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

We've had it in Boston for about an hour now. Very light and being blown about everywhere.

yeah that winds bitter esp as were by sea brrrrr

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Hi SB (or anyone more knowledgeable than me!)

What was the reason behind the front fizzling out earlier. Was it the Pennines, was it meeting colder air, was it the wind direction from the east or something different entirely?

The cold air in place and high pressure have made the front stall pretty much however within the front we see that because it is angled NW/SE the western part of the front has hit the Pennines and just failed to jump them however in the past few hours what we have seen is the front begin to try and level out and so we have precipitation surging from the flat East Midlands northward.

At any rate the radar assures me that the GFS output (still showing just 3 hours of very light snowfall now) will be an epic fail.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold.

Those of you in Sheffield, Doncaster, Barnsley and Rotherham should prepare to leave work or pick up the kids now, moderate to heavy snow is inbound within the hour.

METO weren't that far off in their reckoning of 3pm then.

I've got me walking boots on, and a nice thick jacket so think I'll have a nice wander back home in the dark... hopefully it doesn't stop the trams though. Depends if work even let us go early rofl.gif

Edited by al_13

Posted

Is the main band of snow heading to north lincs , scunny or am I totally been a tool and seeing what I want to see and not what's actually happening.

its moving north. pivoting on its self

Posted

Snow really coming down now, although still smallish flakes. Could be quite good if all that over Northampton, Leicester, Nottingham makes it this way, which it seems to be doing!

Posted

Does any one believe all that feed from the north sea will pep up the band of snow???!!!

It does look like they are connecting north of East Anglia so its possible as the front pivots and levels out with a more easterly wind that this link so to speak will keep the showers alive overnight.

Posted

The radar is now showing the front almost tearing apart to the west of Stoke. The good news is that the Northward march is much faster than this mornings asthmatic hobble! Scarborough and the North York Moors look like the place to be with continual heavy showers peppering the coastline. Hopefully the wind will change direction and send the showers further inland.

Posted

Snow really coming down now, although still smallish flakes. Could be quite good if all that over Northampton, Leicester, Nottingham makes it this way, which it seems to be doing!

It may be a little out on timing but the NAE looks to have forecast the frontal movement perfectly in recent days.

Posted

still left trouser leg poor in outibridge sheffield?

Should hit Sheffield soon going by the radar. I should be doing revision for uni exams next week, however keep getting distracted, dam snow blum.gif

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Indeed, you gotta give credit to NAE, it's been the best model by far and I should never underestimate it.

Posted

The radar is now showing the front almost tearing apart to the west of Stoke. The good news is that the Northward march is much faster than this mornings asthmatic hobble! Scarborough and the North York Moors look like the place to be with continual heavy showers peppering the coastline. Hopefully the wind will change direction and send the showers further inland.

Looks fine to me west of Stoke, where it looks weak is North of Stoke as it really looks like it can't handle the Pennines.

Posted

Moderate snow fall here in Kyme and due to the dryness of all surfaces the snow is readily settling, some of the back lanes to Ruskington are already white and its only been snowing about 45mins

LO

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in Winter!

Light snow just started in Market Rasen!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Hammering it down here right now again. Visibility down to about 300m :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild Spring , hot summer , crisp autumn and snowy cold winters

first flakes starting here , if you can call it that but its a start!! :)

Posted

first flakes starting here , if you can call it that but its a start!! smile.png

Thats just the crappy bit, you want the heavy batch an hour behind.

Posted

Damn Right,

It's awesome at the moment. continuous heavy snow for about an hour now. :)

Posted

south yorkshire is in the perfect firing line now as its swinging to the north west! what a lovely surprise!

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL

What you seem to be getting is a stray outer edge to the front as it does'nt seem to be able to jump the Pennines however looking at the radar you will get the main batch in an hour or so.

Thanks SB, we've had this fine snow for a few hours now so will be good to see something more substantial.

I enjoy reading your posts in the model thread, theres a lot of confusing posts in there which make it difficult for newbies like myself but theres a few members (yourself included)

that make it possible to learn by making level headed posts on what the models are showing, so thankyou, its appreciated.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Definitely would have preferred these snow showers. They'd have given way more snow than this decaying front will.