Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion - January 18th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Its trying its hardest to move north isnt it. Finger crossed. Gonna pull myself away from the radar for an hour or two

Edited by John1990

Posted

I cant believe Im sat in a gap between the heavy snow showers to the North and the band to the south. Very irritating as the showers are literally 10 miles away!

Its just cold and overcast at the moment with a temperature of 0.9C after an earlier max of 1.1C.

Posted

Had a number of heavy showers moving through which have added 4-5 cm of additional snow today.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well some snow could be briefly seen going past my webcams but very light once more. heaviest stuff seems to be stuck over the irsh sea. is there a red warning for that?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

All these whining posts about non-events, no snow here and no snow there just crack me up! The 'event' is still in progress as we speak...the main band may reach us it may not. It matters not though as there is nothing we can do to change things.

All I will say is that those showers that are currently in and around the Yorkshire coast will only move further and further inland as we go through tonight and into tomorrow, so I am fully expecting quite a snowy night tonight in my area.

Later on Sunday is also looking VERY interesting for our region with a period of snow moving up from the South East looking to bring us further accumulations. So just chill out people and enjoy the weekend. I have a feeling it will be pretty special if you are a cold and snow lover living in Yorkshire / Lincs (except for Adam LUFC's heat island of course where all the snow will have melted, the sun will be shining and the temperature will reach 30c...only joking Adam!) rofl.gif

Edited by Kentish Snowman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.

Well that will just be incredibly unfair and unlucky again if we miss the potential for sun night! Why is this area finding it so hard for snow!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

I think a few people should remain calm because there's a bit too much pessimism.

Firstly we should note that Ian Ferguson's forecast last night showed snow arriving over our region between 12-3, as i look to the south i see very dark cloud and we have had reports of light snow as north as Huddersfield (although it looks to be struggling to breach the Pennines on radar) and to top that off the front is now aiding vorcity over the north sea with some hefty showers.

Now i think its a given that the 12-3 prediction looks to be wrong however the NAE does show moderate to heavy snowfall over our region by midnight and still there at 06:00 as the front moves north and seems to combine with the shower activity off the coast (if anything it looks to me like everything is 6 hours early). We see this in the charts below..

http://expert-images...011818_1806.gif

Pretty much the picture now but the forecast is for 18:00.

http://expert-images...011900_1806.gif

It's almost like the stuff over London just surges north and combines with the showers.

http://expert-images...011906_1806.gif

Still giving the goods for Yorkshire at 06:00.

http://expert-images...012006_1806.gif

Snow to the SE approaching (needs to drift west if its for us though) on Sunday.

hi SB What do you think to this animation, do you think it will come off?

http://europa.buienr...nl/3daagse.aspx

Posted

So what you are saying is he radar images the bbc use or more the computer predictions and not actual live or recorded footage. That's shocking. Like you stated last nights snow was not and has still not really been mentioned by the bbc or met

Not exactly. The BBC weather presenters do sometimes use "real" radar but I find that they tend to use the projected model tracks of weather too much. The radar images are clearly defined and are easily identifiable compared to the BBC model graphics. Paul Hudson's forecasts are sometimes good with radar images and discussion, but the graphics last night were terrible with general grey murk and flakes of snow everywhere without definition or reasoning behind what was going on. I've not seen the lunchtime forecast as I'm at work, but I would imagine that there will be the usual snowflakes everywhere with minimal detail as to what is happening now and in teh next few hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold blasts, snowy Summer hot sultry thunderstorms

just started lightly snowing just north of scunny, this is off the front not come in from the coast definate pivot

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

TAF for LBA now shows 'light snow', 'blowing snow', and 'heavy snow with freezing fog'.

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

The METO have changed the weekend forecast for my location 3 times today since this morning, that includes todays forecast also.

Think i'll stick with the radar, window and lamp post as its obvious that anything can happen. Forecasters nightmare this past week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow snow snow !!!!

Woohoo its started in mosborough (sheffield ) can't wait to pick my daughter up from school to do a spot of sledging! fingers crossed for more heavier snow :)

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Well that will just be incredibly unfair and unlucky again if we miss the potential for sun night! Why is this area finding it so hard for snow!!

Adam.

Great news is that i am now certain - snow is inbound from the main front and it does not look like breaking up yet.

Look at the radar below, zoom in and look between Nottingham and Leeds, that is the direction its coming from.

http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/home/maps?bg=0

hi SB What do you think to this animation, do you think it will come off?

http://europa.buienr...nl/3daagse.aspx

Model runs are fickle so i really have no clue however with the NAE looking good on its final frame i'm inclined to be positive.

Posted

Those of you in Sheffield, Doncaster, Barnsley and Rotherham should prepare to leave work or pick up the kids now, moderate to heavy snow is inbound within the hour.

TAF for LBA now shows 'light snow', 'blowing snow', and 'heavy snow with freezing fog'.

I'm inclined to say that the earlier forecast for LBA will now be the correct one with moderate to heavy snow, the only change is timing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

Still only fine snow but getting heavier and -2.1C, just been out to feed the birds again as the greedy buggers cleared the first lot in an hour, its

absolutely freezing, the windchill is unbearable.cold.gif

Posted

Still only fine snow but getting heavier and -2.1C, just been out to feed the birds again as the greedy buggers cleared the first lot in an hour, its

absolutely freezing, the windchill is unbearable.cold.gif

What you seem to be getting is a stray outer edge to the front as it does'nt seem to be able to jump the Pennines however looking at the radar you will get the main batch in an hour or so.

Posted

Those of you in Sheffield, Doncaster, Barnsley and Rotherham should prepare to leave work or pick up the kids now, moderate to heavy snow is inbound within the hour.

I'm inclined to say that the earlier forecast for LBA will now be the correct one with moderate to heavy snow, the only change is timing.

Hi SB (or anyone more knowledgeable than me!)

What was the reason behind the front fizzling out earlier. Was it the Pennines, was it meeting colder air, was it the wind direction from the east or something different entirely?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

During summer we had a rash of fronts from the SW which delivered copious amounts of rainfall here and they had no issue making it this far north, in fact they deliver our biggest rainfall totals. The cold block is what prevented it from marching along here. If there was no cold block, the front would have reached here with no difficulty, and there would have been a big dry gap over east Manchester.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

whilst heavier falls are expected across southern, central and western areas, with 10-15 cm or more possible in some areas.