Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion - January 18th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

It was always looking likely that the band may struggle to reach us, apart from a few days where the runs seemed quite progressive about it. It was always going to struggle given the set up.

Spot on. I'm actually surprised it reached this far. But Monday's event is a different type of set up, different ball game altogether.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Certainly stalled NONE EVENT alert LEVEL 1 issued. There's 9 more to go so don't worry yet. It's my fault I took the boots to work.

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

ITSY says it all, Sunday-Tuesday is looking better, although i remember that being said at the beginning of the week about today. wallbash.gif

Honestly we are going to get something out of this weekend, and I think I now know why the Mets website is now saying Heavy snow for my location from Saturday evening yet its not on any of the models.

Think the convection is going to start about then. The positioning of the low will mean moderate easterly winds will start about then, and as soon as they do the North Sea train will begin. If the easterly's start by then would have some serious snow fall from the showers that get created.

Edited by cowdog

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL

It was always looking likely that the band may struggle to reach us, apart from a few days where the runs seemed quite progressive about it. It was always going to struggle given the set up.

I did honestly think it would have no trouble reaching us though Mark, although my basis was more on last nights surprise snowfall and also on weds, i have the feeling

of anything can happen at the minute but it seems we've surfed the wave of luck onto the beach.

Posted

Spot on. I'm actually surprised it reached this far. But Monday's event is a different type of set up, different ball game altogether.

in what way is the set up different?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

Yeah front has pretty much stalled now. Looks to my eye that it may be starting to pivot?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

The Met have light snow starting at 1800, lasting all day tomorrow, with heavy snow between 0300 and 0600, and light snow continuing into Monday.. where is this going to come from, exactly? The front has stalled and is weakening.

Posted

Looking at the band now, any appreciable precipitation is now west of manchester and south of nottingham. I think we might need to start looking east.

The Met have light snow starting at 1800, lasting all day tomorrow, with heavy snow between 0300 and 0600, and light snow continuing into Monday.. where is this going to come from, exactly? The front has stalled and is weakening.

I think it would be from showers coming in off the north sea. Already some starting to appear close to the wash now.

We would have been better if this band had never left wales, we would probably be in these showers by now.

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted

The only positive for here is that the temp is below freezing and it's cloudy,so the snow cover in the fields isn't going anywhere fast.

Posted

Quick one from me, expected snowfall totals over the next 48 hours

post-8968-0-83134400-1358510349_thumb.gi

Blue: 5-25cm of snowfall- Really dependant on orographic snowfall aiding intensity, a bit of a headache to see how much it will happen.

Yellow: 3-10cm of snow- Higher totals coming from showers pushing in during the early hours of Saturday morning

Orange: 5-20cm of snow- Showers should start pushing further inland later but will loose intensity in the early hours of Saturday morning due to a milder flow (relative).

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

People are stressing out the situation hasn't change at all!

Posted

Blue: 5-25cm of snowfall- Really dependant on orographic snowfall aiding intensity, a bit of a headache to see how much it will happen.

Yellow: 3-10cm of snow- Higher totals coming from showers pushing in during the early hours of Saturday morning

Orange: 5-20cm of snow- Showers should start pushing further inland later but will loose intensity in the early hours of Saturday morning due to a milder flow (relative).

I would be happy between 3-10cm its still looks good outside from yesterday and current temp is below freezing stil and alot of cloud cover getting darker and thicker

Posted

in what way is the set up different?

I maybe wrong but there is more of an organised band from the SE rather than SW? I've not had a chance to look at the charts today.....

Posted

Not sure I agree with that.

I would have your

orange area 0-10cm

yellow area: 0-7cm

blue area: 0-5cm.

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Quite bright here, I see a tinge of blue in the sky.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

Anyway, i still remain positive of a little later maybe. Let that that decaying mass of junk away down south and concentrate on these juicy showers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

V light snow in Huddersfield now, lets hope it's the start of something good!!!