Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion - January 18th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Now snowing lighlty in chesterfield. Definatly some northwards movement on the radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

Yes, I have noticed this change in the front. The initial SW-NE movement stalled and died back just before it reached Yorkshire. However the pivot is now clearly visible with a more Northerly movement to the front. Not sure if it is just an error on rain today, but the last frame of the animation (12.45) shows darker echoes re-appearing which if true can only be a good thing!

that darkening is also on the netweather radar

very strange indeed! clapping.gif

Edited by Gumbo Briggs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold.

http://www.meteorada.../home/maps?bg=0

A larger field of view for the radar. Look where the only clear skies are..... a line from the wash up through Lincolnshire and Yorkshire to the west of Scotland. Everyone else has snow!

From looking at it though, should it continue on it's current course, it would pass the main body right over all of the Yorkshire region as it pivots round back towards the W side of the UK, or have I read this wrong?

Posted

Who knows maybe something will spark off in that gap between the showers and main band?? Obviously a lot of unstability out there, maybe something to watch out for, kind of like yesterday where precipitation just sprang up over the midlands.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: hot, Winter: cold, Anytime: thunderstorms

Matt Hugo's latest tweet should cheer a fair few of us up!

Link please ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

Without getting too excited it seems to be even heading to north lincs unless it stalls slows or just bloody vanishes in to thin air lol

As I said it really does not look like what the bbc has just broadcast at 13:30

Am I wrong to be getting a little bit excited or am I just expecting something that will just not happen.

Meant to be working but can not take my eyes off rain today lol

Posted

There confident already

for Met Office.

Yellow Alert of Snow for Yorkshire & Humber

Yellow Alert of Snow for Yorkshire & Humber : North Yorkshire, East Riding of Yorkshire, Kingston upon Hull, North East Lincolnshire & North Lincolnshire valid from 0005 Mon 21 Jan to 2359 Mon 21 Jan

Posted

Why does the bbc image of the potential snow look nothing like what can be seen on rain today?

Might just be my lack of knowledge or misinterpretation but it looks totally different!!

I think that the BBC and other organisations that provide weather bulletins could learn from forecasters in the USA. The US forecasters generally start with the current radar image and then review its trajectory and intensity to provide a short term forecast for an area (even down to street level for serious events!). For snowfall and heavy rain the forecasters in Britain seem too reliant on what the computer says should be happening rather than what is currently happening.

Yesterdays fall was pretty much ignored by all organisations even though it was obvious from around 3pm that the area was expanding and intensifying.

Posted

Our local schools are shutting at 2 so they must have been advised to do so!

Posted

Well its snowing quite fast in the wind, fine flakes and settling as well, location at the moment Thurlby near Bourne.

would sooner see this get heavier, still underwhelmed with it so far, lol

Posted

Wow, That was an impressive shower! They've really intensified over the last hour or so. Roads really well gritted after Monday's nightmare so it's melting after each shower but still white over each time! The front can stay away! These showers are ace! :)

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I think a few people should remain calm because there's a bit too much pessimism.

Firstly we should note that Ian Ferguson's forecast last night showed snow arriving over our region between 12-3, as i look to the south i see very dark cloud and we have had reports of light snow as north as Huddersfield (although it looks to be struggling to breach the Pennines on radar) and to top that off the front is now aiding vorcity over the north sea with some hefty showers.

Now i think its a given that the 12-3 prediction looks to be wrong however the NAE does show moderate to heavy snowfall over our region by midnight and still there at 06:00 as the front moves north and seems to combine with the shower activity off the coast (if anything it looks to me like everything is 6 hours early). We see this in the charts below..

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2013/01/18/basis06/ukuk/prty/13011818_1806.gif

Pretty much the picture now but the forecast is for 18:00.

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2013/01/18/basis06/ukuk/prty/13011900_1806.gif

It's almost like the stuff over London just surges north and combines with the showers.

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2013/01/18/basis06/ukuk/prty/13011906_1806.gif

Still giving the goods for Yorkshire at 06:00.

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2013/01/18/basis06/ukuk/prty/13012006_1806.gif

Snow to the SE approaching (needs to drift west if its for us though) on Sunday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow!! lots of it

Link please ...

Matthew Hugo â€@MattHugo81

Latest unmodified UKMO MESO model clearly showing more substantial snow moving into N End mid-afternoon onwards.pic.twitter.com/rXhnps3Y

Edited by Skibaboo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

I think that the BBC and other organisations that provide weather bulletins could learn from forecasters in the USA. The US forecasters generally start with the current radar image and then review its trajectory and intensity to provide a short term forecast for an area (even down to street level for serious events!). For snowfall and heavy rain the forecasters in Britain seem too reliant on what the computer says should be happening rather than what is currently happening.

Yesterdays fall was pretty much ignored by all organisations even though it was obvious from around 3pm that the area was expanding and intensifying.

So what you are saying is he radar images the bbc use or more the computer predictions and not actual live or recorded footage. That's shocking. Like you stated last nights snow was not and has still not really been mentioned by the bbc or met

Posted

Not looking great for West Yorkshire for the Sunday/Monday event.

Given its a world a way in weather terms i wouldn't take to much notice. The GFS and UKMO both give a region wide spell of snow. This will change, for better or for worse.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Torn between two wishes at the moment- if that front pivots and spreads significantly northwards I may get some frontal snow, if it stays south I may get snow showers off the North Sea, but if it drifts just slightly northwards I'll get neither, with the frontal snow just to the south and the veil of high cloud preventing convection from getting in from the North Sea. A patient afternoon needed here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

well thegap between the front is getting narrower by the min.also looks like the south east flow could drag some heavy showers into the mix

Posted

Yesterday i commented on the amount of moaning in this regional forum

Come on guys and girls we all want snow and maybe have to show a bit more patience

I for one will be looking South and East today and over the weekend