Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion - January 18th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well it's not far from us guess an hour away moving very slowly. The radar shows that the front isn't really very active nothing to make you go wow get the sledges out to get you home. The slowness of the front may make up for the lack of intensity so 2cm to 5cm is probably the correct figure. As ever activity can vary as time goes on so it's possible larger falls may appear later on the radar. Got to admit I'm wondering about the red warning for south west wales though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

what about skeggy looks like we are to far from the west and too close for the north sea showers to have an impact to my untrained eye cheers fella

The east coast including skegness will see some decent snow later today and over night.Also sat,sun,monday look great for all the eastern side of the uk.you will do well

Posted

Well it's not far from us guess an hour away moving very slowly. The radar shows that the front isn't really very active nothing to make you go wow get the sledges out to get you home. The slowness of the front may make up for the lack of intensity so 2cm to 5cm is probably the correct figure. As ever activity can vary as time goes on so it's possible larger falls may appear later on the radar. Got to admit I'm wondering about the red warning for south west wales though.

Yes pit unless the precipitation increases for the wales area i cant see 30cms falling.It may intensify tho?

Posted
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL

looks like the front has slowed in the last hour looking at the radar, hope it hasnt hit the block already

Posted

im with you on this one, we will be in the gap between the front coming from the west and the showers comming from the east i feel

overnight,sat and sunday will give you snow and snow showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: c'mon thunder

Meteosat 5min updates showing the band has more or less ceased it's current NE movement?

Anyone with net-extra see this?

Roughly seeing/showing ppn line from WLancs SEwards down to Derby Northampton to WLondon,,,

Posted

im with you on this one, we will be in the gap between the front coming from the west and the showers comming from the east i feel

Yep it's looking that way for us sadly.There is a chance of some snow later on sunday going by the GFS PPN charts, but it's a few days away yet and will no doubt change.I'm not really expecting much more than the odd cm here today and tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Yes, it does appear to be slowing down considerably, so may not make it here at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold.

Morning,

Coming from Worrall, was much colder there this morning than it is over at Airport, had very fine flakes in the air as well @ ~7am, the same cannot be said for SE Sheffield though, where it is just dark grey cloud and not as cold. Looks very purposeful though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

One point when viewing your local bbc half hour update.These are recordings so be wary of what they show on the radar and outside show.they will i feel upgrade the snow post lunch time or before!!!

Using netweather extra radar not the beeb stuff. Use the old netweather scaling which is easier to read and you get a fairly decent picture whats happening.

Posted

It does look like it's started to move NE very, very, very, very slowly, could start snowing in Sheffield soon. Met say light snow all day, all day tomorrow and most of Sunday, so I suspect we'll get 2 - 5 cm per the Me Office predictions, nothing to get giddy about.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms. Big ones.

We had about 5 hours of very fine, light snow in the western Dales last night. The temps are so low that it has pretty much stuck on all but the gritted roads. It is now trying to snow again by the looks of it, the sky seems full of the stuff. Current temps hovering between -1 and -2 in Skipton, colder the higher you go.

View from my back garden half an hour ago:

gSp5Mzrc.jpg

Posted

Matthew Hugo @MattHugo81

Section of latest TAF for Leeds #impressive BECMG 1812/1815 1200 SN BKN005 PROB40 1818/1824 13015G25KT 0300 +SN BLSN VV///

In summary: Moderate snow becoming heavy snow with blowing snow!...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms. Big ones.

Matthew Hugo @MattHugo81

Section of latest TAF for Leeds #impressive BECMG 1812/1815 1200 SN BKN005 PROB40 1818/1824 13015G25KT 0300 +SN BLSN VV///

In summary: Moderate snow becoming heavy snow with blowing snow!...

Doesn't that also include 'Probability at 40%'?

Posted

Yes the TAF for LBA mentions heavy and blowing snow - the front will need to hurry along if that is going to happen. NAE shows good amounts for W and S Yorks, as well as Craven/Harrogate. Less elsewhere, but we'll wait and see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

No sign of the front stalling and pivoting just yet. It is moving very slowly though, so very hard to predict how far NE it will continue to move before starting to stall/pivot/fragment. I reckon a line from Rochdale to Mansfield in the next hour or so, *if* it continues on a NE track then Burnley to Worksop by mid-morning, Keighley to Doncaster by late morning, and more widely across Yorkshire into this afternoon, but likely to be more fragmented and so a bit more hit and miss by then. So BBC/Met forecasts not too far off in fact.

Posted

Working from home today.

Showers starting to move in, having a light shower now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frost

The front has definitely pushed on in the last half hour or so. Not far away from the south east corner of South Yorkshire now.

Posted

From my eyes its not exactly "stalling" just yet.. and looking at the streamers out to sea when the wind direction does change theres going to be plenty pushing in land..

Edited by Clark3e