Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Regional Discussion - January 18th 2013, 06z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny

Its mental that you have that much and we have sod all, i have never been so disappointed in an event, i expected we wouldnt get much but what they were forecasting for days this is just a right smack in the face. Your one side of the mountains and we're the other, you get a foot of snow, we have 1 cm, lovely stuff, the snow shield has never been so effective

Exactly how I feel, can't believe how little snow we have had!!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Where I am ( just off A487 between Plwmp and Brynhoffnant) we have a good 4-5 inches, Ffrostrasol/Rhydlewis road is blocked, council using JCB's to clear the road. Temp rising and the sun is shining. My friend in Cennarth has nothing!

Will this white stuff be around for long, and why is it so localised? Appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks Guys good.gif

I think altitude was simply the difference, you are probably 100m above Cenarth

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Seems about right, It has just started snowing again in Brynmill, Swansea although nothing is stickingdoh.gif

there are some massive variations of snow across swansea, some low level areas have had little or no snow sticking, whilst other upland areas of swansea have seen at least 6 inches of lying snow

Posted

Commiserations to those who haven't had snow today. Must be painful to see everyone else losing their heads over it.

Still snowing lightly here too.

Overall about 7-8 inches level snow here, proper powdery snow too, (heads of valleys way), I would say the 3rd best snow event I can remember, behind Feb 1995 (10-12inches) and December 2010 (~8 inches).

Been walking the mountains and I would say around a foot up there, considering there was an inch or two from previous snow. One oak tree fell over due to the weight of the snow and many of the tree branches are hanging to the ground under the weight, some of the drifts are waist high. I'll get some pictures tomorrow, forgot camera pfffft. Big icicles forming on the house too. I love this stuff.

Posted

this is starting to 'smell' a bit like 79/82 to me

anyone that old agree?

I would not go that far yet, especially as when I checked the models yesterday it looked like getting less cold next week. NIce though.

Posted

Funny thing here in magor. Just been out to put bins out....and basically an excuse to go back out to my snow lol, and something is falling from the sky....thought it was very light rain, but everything is freezing, could hardly open the padlock on my back gate and it is absolutely freezing out their. Checked radar and absoluely nothing sorry.gif but deffinately something falling?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Wind seems to have picked up even more.

We've had a couple of cm's but I feel lucky compared to Carmarthen near by which had nothing at all. Bizarre!

Lets hope a few snow shows pop up tonight.

Posted

Ukmo looks good tonight lets hope the ecm follows, even if we dont get any more i want it to be around for as long as possible.

Ive been impressed with the temps today, since early this morning the temp as been either 0.3 or 0.4.

Edited by snowy36

Posted

Wind seems to have picked up even more.

We've had a couple of cm's but I feel lucky compared to Carmarthen near by which had nothing at all. Bizarre!

Lets hope a few snow shows pop up tonight.

I couldnt believe my eyes earlier as I dropped into Nantgaredig from the main road,.....not a sign of snow anywhere (apart from the surrounding hill tops of course),....Carmarthen seems to have missed out big time!!

Posted

Well not all that great where I am, couple cm at best so had to go to work :(. Trimsaran though close by to me was a winter wonderland thick snow and the trees still coated, no thaw there. Trees were bowed down low to the road so had to dodge a few branches. A tree had also fallen blocking the road this morning. Altitude made all the difference here. Hope everyone else is enjoying the snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: red hot lead hail

I would not go that far yet, especially as when I checked the models yesterday it looked like getting less cold next week. NIce though.

i think they've basically admitted they're flying by the seat of their pants, and the models up to a week are pretty much worthless in this situation

anything could happen

Posted

Still snowing in Mold. Snowed without stopping since 6.15 this morning. Still quite heavy now, having picked up again in the last half hour. 3 inches lying snow - better than I expected after yesterday's evenings doom and loom up in the north.

Posted

I couldnt believe my eyes earlier as I dropped into Nantgaredig from the main road,.....not a sign of snow anywhere (apart from the surrounding hill tops of course),....Carmarthen seems to have missed out big time!!

Another place that can miss out in slightly marginal conditions, Carmarthen is fairly low down, close to the sea and in SW Wales, always stood a chance of missing out.

i think they've basically admitted they're flying by the seat of their pants, and the models up to a week are pretty much worthless in this situation

anything could happen

I have not looked today but a warm up did look on towards the weekend, but as you say a long way off.

Posted

I've just spoken to my parents in Penreol (nr gorsienon) and it sounds like they are well and truly plastered with the snow still falling, I'm hoping to get there tomorrow weather permittingbiggrin.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Another place that can miss out in slightly marginal conditions, Carmarthen is fairly low down, close to the sea and in SW Wales, always stood a chance of missing out.

I have not looked today but a warm up did look on towards the weekend, but as you say a long way off.

and yet we had quite a bit of snow in Pembrokeshire, strange, would of thought Carmarthen would of done well.

Posted

Snow has frozen over and icicles formed, I can't see any of this defrosting and fully melting until it gets mild and that could be at least a week, maybe more.. It'll be an ice rink on the pavements and roads just like 2010!

Posted

Not seen snow like this for my area. Radar shows prec standstill over my area.. stuck in talysarn and theres about 7-8 inches and drifts up to 3ft this is nuts and im stranded in a pub with no buses.taxis, or roads clear for moving..

Posted

and yet we had quite a bit of snow in Pembrokeshire, strange, would of thought Carmarthen would of done well.

I am guessing the parts of Pembrokeshire that did well with snow today are above 100m? Checked radar accumulations and Pembrokeshire had over an inch today cf below half inch for Carmarthen so another factor was lack of evaporative cooling.

post-2595-0-15218100-1358531343_thumb.jp

Edited by TonyH

Posted

Snow has frozen over and icicles formed, I can't see any of this defrosting and fully melting until it gets mild and that could be at least a week, maybe more.. It'll be an ice rink on the pavements and roads just like 2010!

Snap. Got icicles outside my house, not seen them since that lovely december.