Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Regional Discussion - January 18th 2013, 06z onwards

Coast

Posted

and yet we had quite a bit of snow in Pembrokeshire, strange, would of thought Carmarthen would of done well.

Drove to Carmarthen this morning - quite a dramatic difference to home near Cross Hands. A good few inches here, but just approaching Carmarthen the fields quickly turned greener and there was very little on the ground. My parents reported heavy rain in Carmarthen at 2am - think we must have had snow all night as I heard no rain here.

There's often a difference between Carmarthen and here, but never seen it as stark as today. On some occasions it has actually been worse there (the late 2005 northerly event for example) and I've driven along the A48 to find I can't get up the hill into town!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe disruptive snow or any other severe weather!

Not seen snow like this for my area. Radar shows prec standstill over my area.. stuck in talysarn and theres about 7-8 inches and drifts up to 3ft this is nuts and im stranded in a pub with no buses.taxis, or roads clear for moving..

sounds like a good place to be stranded?, all jokes aside hope you can get home safe, hoping for some more showers tonight, when does any one think our next chances will be i thought sunday but that seems like an eastern half of the country event?.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

I am guessing the parts of Pembrokeshire that did well with snow today are above 100m?

Nope, there was a dividing line however. I am in haverfordwest, 17m asl and we had 3 to 4 inches this morning but areas to our North are still chaos, power cuts for 5,000 homes, lots of downed trees and powerlines. Crymych (which is quite high up), is basically cut off. Places in south pembrokeshire like tenby saw very little Edited by bradythemole

Posted

Temp has been well below freezing here all day, which means the snow is staying soft and fluffy, rather than melting and refreezing into a hard layer. The wind has blown it around like crazy though, all sorts fo shapes, some patches are bare and others a couple of feet deep, it's like a desert made up of snow dunes instead of sand dunes. -2.7c currently, looks like we will keep cloud/light snow through the night so shouldn't get too cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer

I've just spoken to my parents in Penreol (nr gorsienon) and it sounds like they are well and truly plastered with the snow still falling, I'm hoping to get there tomorrow weather permittingbiggrin.png

I live in penyrheol and it's been snowing all day off and on but no radar support so I'm bewildered tbh

Posted

On a serious note, all of the cables around here have doubled or tripled in circumference due to the sticky snow coating them, this has now frozen solid so it won't fall off in a bit of wind. Doesn't seem very safe at the moment..

Posted

this is starting to 'smell' a bit like 79/82 to me

anyone that old agree?

Long way to go to repeat 1982 we had ice burgs on Swansea bay down by the mumbles!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Nope, there was a dividing line however. I am in haverfordwest, 17m asl and we had 3 to 4 inches this morning but areas to our North are still chaos, power cuts for 5,000 homes, lots of downed trees and powerlines. Crymych (which is quite high up), is basically cut off. Places in south pembrokeshire like tenby saw very little

The above images suggests Haverfordwest benefitted from heavy precipitation and evaporative cooling in such marginal conditions, I also think wind direction is a factor, Tenby escaping due to SE winds off the sea.

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: red hot lead hail

lot of bunching up of showers going on in the channel. is something developing out there?

Long way to go to repeat 1982 we had ice burgs on Swansea bay down by the mumbles!

this is only day one

Posted

lot of bunching up of showers going on in the channel. is something developing out there?

this is only day one

It would then be more like a (much) watered down version of 1947 as 81/ 82 was just about over by now.

Edited by TonyH

Posted

Fascinating weather for Sunday /Monday light snow drifting from the east possible snow moving in from the west ,hoping for another undercut brilliant fun with the models GFS doesen"t understand cold weather and is always given us a mild breakdown in 3 days time !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

After 7 hours of trekking in the snowy landscape, my love for snow has increased! Snowing since 5.30am and hasnt stopped since however the heavy stuff came down in the morning/midday, with the afternoon/now seeing light snow. Now its dark but the snow makes everything look lighter than it is, very nice!

Stll snowing here, another cm or so in the past half hour suprising! wonder if them showers will hit near here?

Maybe/hopefully!

Posted

I would not go that far yet, especially as when I checked the models yesterday it looked like getting less cold next week. NIce though.

Tony is there agreement on the models for less cold or are they arguing again lol? and guy across road from me told me a few hrs ago that Monday/tues could be very snowy as well, any truth in that or is it too early to say? I have seen charts for snow but they was for east uk mostly and very far eastern areas of Wales but not south.

Posted

Those poor shops on the highstreets luv'em, moaning about the lovely snow on the news because the foot-traffic has dropped off a cliff...........I say fook'em, we aren't alive just to shop for "stuff we don't really need" all the time, bloody morons.

More snow squire?clapping.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: red hot lead hail

It would then be more like a (much) watered down version of 1947 as 81/ 82 was just about over by now.

all i'm saying is it FEELS like back then to me. I haven't seen the things going on now since then. Normally we have a snowfall, and it thaws away. that hasn't happened this time. the icicles, the wind, the FEEL of it, know what I mean? Perhaps I'm miles out, but i think we might just see something out of the ordinary when this event is all said and done.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

It's been snowing lightly pretty much since lunchtime in Cardiff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Tony is there agreement on the models for less cold or are they arguing again lol? and guy across road from me told me a few hrs ago that Monday/tues could be very snowy as well, any truth in that or is it too early to say? I have seen charts for snow but they was for east uk mostly and very far eastern areas of Wales but not south.

Quite possibly we will know for sure Sunday.

Posted

all i'm saying is it FEELS like back then to me. I haven't seen the things going on now since then. Normally we have a snowfall, and it thaws away. that hasn't happened this time. the icicles, the wind, the FEEL of it, know what I mean? Perhaps I'm miles out, but i think we might just see something out of the ordinary when this event is all said and done.

I know exactly what you mean and it was brought home to me when I was walking the dog just know and heard that fantastic sound of kids dragging a sledge over snow cover that has now frozen over, took me right to 82 when I was a lad with my own sledge wishing it would carry on for months

Posted

A dual zone attack would be out of this world, one from the low from france and one from SW like today that would be epic, but just a hunch tells me thats nto going to travel far enough west for us but you never know

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I know what you mean. Reminds me of 2010 personally, when the snow would fall and end up becoming thick ice on the floor due to not much or no thaw. Being 21 years old that is probably the winter I most remember in terms of lengthy cold spells and snowfall, just a week or two like that and I'd be happy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and warm summers

There's a photo in the netweather gallery of a bloke sitting on a garden bench in the snow, in his pants. My wife noticed it earlier on, and after half an hour I had to ask her to get off my laptop - got a bit embarrassing tbh. He's called Steve apparently. Anyone care to confess?

Still got "snizzle" in my patch. Pretty much all afternoon. Maybe the chance of a few light showers in the night, and agree with some other posters - could be here for a while (hopecasting in a big way!!).

Edited by ourson

Posted

Two clumps of showers with moderate PPN over the Bristol Channel and Devon that may start moving slightly northeast. They could hit Somerset and Bristol or they could hit southeast Wales. They may dissipate on the next radar run, but if they don't then they're something to watch.

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted

There's a photo in the netweather gallery of a bloke sitting on a garden bench in the snow, in his pants. My wife noticed it earlier on, and after half an hour I had to ask her to get off my laptop - got a bit embarrassing tbh. He's called Steve apparently. Anyone care to confess?

Still got "snizzle" in my patch. Pretty much all afternoon. Maybe the chance of a few light showers in the night, and agree with some other posters - could be here for a while (hopecasting in a big way!!).

It was a guy from the south southern thread......i have to confess to studying it for quite a while too rofl.gifrofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny

Finally snowing and sticking here now! Yay!