Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Friday 18th >>

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Got such a fright,I thought it was raining ohmy.png never ran so fast to the window in my life lol. Just really fine snow.

I did that early on, the snow was so fine it made me look twice!

Posted

Getting ready to take kids sledging here as well !

Have a good day everyone cold.gif .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

I'll be at the other side of the hill(s) from you good.gif Moving to about five miles east of SS, probs 15 or 20 south of you at a total guess. I can't wait to get moved up there, 220m above sea level...will be a good test of weather warnings which give the snow line at 200m...I am tickled pink to be getting some reasonable altitude.

As for gritters and ploughs, can I just say that Borders council seem to be on the ball here. This morning I have seen big ploughs, JCB ploughs, pavement ploughs, van ploughs, the full works. The council have a skip day in the car park at the end of the road every couple of weeks for people to get rid of excess rubbish and recycling. The lorries were there bang on 9am ready to go this morning and they come from Duns. Good work Borders council good.gif

They even have winter tyres on the bus that picks up mini miss SS!

I can't help but wonder if it is partly due to SBC going from Blue led to Scottish Yellow led in the May 12 elections.... Scot Gov seem to be making big attempts to improve snow handling anyway, what with new equipment, salting strategies etc.

Edited by scottish skier

Northumberland must have gawd knows how much snaw

I work with a guy who lives down over the border and he was claiming a foot last night. Even with a little exaggeration it is probably at least eight or ten inches. And that was last night, dunno what happened overnight!! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Snow is still holding here, temp at 0.6/-1.8, dissapointed with the temp rise suprised it's affected this far inland hoping it's drop back a bit later :-(

Edited by Allyw12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Nice bright start here, snow cover in place as predicted around 2-3 cm so nothing extraordinary ! Skies looking quite active out East and cloud filtering in. Radar showing continued evolution of showers approaching the coast.

For today NAE shows snow chances for the Eastern half of the country for much of the next 48hrs with some marginal periods of sleet thrown in. Air thickness remaining at low values throughout the period.

Couple of charts out to 1800 this evening.

post-7292-0-10326000-1358588697_thumb.pn post-7292-0-05355400-1358588714_thumb.gi post-7292-0-71359900-1358588735_thumb.pn

On the UKMO run 850 temps show the Easterly cool down well, at 48 hrs a ball of -16 850 temps hits the Scandi Block disrupts and spills -12 uppers towards Scotland by 72 hrs. This is a trend would love to see continue , especially when there is a whole lot more cold where that lot is coming from in the shape of a chunk of vortex.

post-7292-0-70226800-1358588822_thumb.gipost-7292-0-66602300-1358588832_thumb.gi

So, snow chances continue for today, then tomorrow, then Monday.... you get the idea...

Where's my sledge !

Posted

Back online, hooray.

Snow here but not significant, 1-2cm, snowing lightly. Mediocre.

Interestingly temp since Wednesday has ranged between -1.3 and +1.7C, that's not very much!

Posted
  • Location: North Cumbria 160m asl overlooking the Solway coast.
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonally appropriate. Snow - not greedy - good above 1,500' fine
  • Location: North Cumbria 160m asl overlooking the Solway coast.

An overnight dusting of snow here mm. Was in Edinburgh early evening yesterday. Snowing very heavily in the city center, was wondering what the drive back would be like. Snow was light just past the Zoo and everything green at the M9 right back home. Think I'll look at the radar and see if there's anything to cheer me up. Double whammy of N Pennines not getting much either.

Not what I wanted to see when cheking possibilities for Pennine skiing

http://www.durham.gov.uk/pages/WeatherStationDetails.aspx?station=13

Edited by onemanmows

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

2cm here.Ok not great but it's a start.Should get a wee shower shortly.

Posted

The snow last night.............didn't lead to very much at all. The slightest covering but at least this time it's on the ground :p Still not very much though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

6" inches in parts of Newcastle- highly possible the Alnwick/Cheviots has area has around 1ft.

Any snow depths up here that you might want to share with us Englanders?

5 cm from last week + 15 cm this event = 20 cm or so. Still snawin!

That's just shy of 8" in old money.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

2cm of fresh snow overnight here, now up to 5cm in total :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

7cm here all form last night/yesterday evening. Snow showers this morning and looking like we are about to get some more snow soon.

Hoping the temps for coastal areas tomorrow are not going to allow sleetyness, other than that the outlook looks braw! Sledges ready.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Still nothing in Ayrshire. This is the worst cold spell ever!

Your not alone mate, crap aint it. sad.png

Enjoy the snow you guys in the east I am off to buy some sun tan lotion and return the sledgerofl.gif

Posted

Your not alone mate, crap aint it. sad.png

Enjoy the snow you guys in the east I am off to buy some sun tan lotion and return the sledgerofl.gif

Sure is. When is Greenland blocking going to make an appearance? Scandi Blocking is rubbish for snow in the West.

Posted

Back online, hooray.

Snow here but not significant, 1-2cm, snowing lightly. Mediocre.

Interestingly temp since Wednesday has ranged between -1.3 and +1.7C, that's not very much!

Still nothing in Ayrshire. This is the worst cold spell ever!

feeling it pain.I have cosmetic snow but better than nowt.There is a new t shirt by me to being made.it's got snow pictures on it and below it says anywhere but west central Scotland. Edited by November13

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Heehee. Princes St Yes stall cancelled due to weather so I'm off duty - #indyref can wait as I get down the basement and dig oot the sledges.

Probably heading up to The Braids, the runs should be in good shape after early sledgers have conditioned the piste !

Posted

Great to hear all the Scottish reports of snow this morning. Unfortunately for my location not much at all. We had some light flurries late on that never led to much other than a very light covering on the grass this morning.

Those in West Central Scotland looking for snow should turn attention to the early hours of Monday morning when a band of precipitation will trundle up the east coast of England during Sunday night.

The positives this time will be that it will be a more organised band of sleet/snow and that the flow by the time it moves into Scotland will be much more ENE rather than last night when it stayed pretty much SE and didnt veer easterly then ENE the way our area needs for the showers to push far enough inland.

The downside this time will be that it might be more marginal on low ground although this may actually be more of an issue for those on the east coast.

Anyway as this band of snow or for some sleet moves north there could be a chance of some mainly light but at times moderate snow for a few hours for those in some areas that have seen little or no snow during the last few days. There is also the luck factor that needs to work in our favour this time.

We live in hope!

Posted

Proper heavy stuff now, kids in salopettes and snow boots waiting (un)patiently to go out on the sledge. A snaw day on a Saturday is just the best!