Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Where has this appeared from on the latest NAE for tomorrow morning?

13012012_1918.gif

Looks interesting for Pennine areas ahead of the main 'event' tomorrow night?

Didnt see this! oooooo looks promising

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Ha, Calm down, it was a joke mate, taking the mick out of the moron zombies doing as their tv tells them.

i've been sledging and enjoying the snow taking pics, not to a sodding supermarket.

Good job.

I'm on the cider sorry mate.

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

Where has this appeared from on the latest NAE for tomorrow morning?

13012012_1918.gif

Looks interesting for Pennine areas ahead of the main 'event' tomorrow night?

METO have heavy snow for Penistone at 6am and 9am in the morning. Interesting indeed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

Good job.

I'm on the cider sorry mate.

No worries mate, good to know someone dislikes panic buyers as much as myself. Enjoy your cider drinks.gif

Posted

If you look at the first chart you'll see a small green patch with 0 on it in the middle of all the blue. That must be where Adamlufc lives.

Nah that's the famous Sheffield shield. Kills storms and showers and normally all snow dead. Drizzle distant lightening the odd large flake of snow allowed. However this did break down in 2007/2010 but since has been repaired turning 30cm of snow into 3mm. So far the shield hasn't been perfected. If it's windy this still gets through. At the moment the fix for this isn't priority I hear so I can expect the odd gale for the next few years. I have a team trying to find the location of the shield and if you seen a mushroom cloud followed by headline news of Sheffield has had it's biggest T storm ever you know I've found it.

Posted

Latest BBC forecast looks good for tomorrow night. Showed snow even on the coast. This ties in with the MO website forecast which shows heavy snow through the night before turning to sleet.

I'd be happy with one more decent dumping before it turns to rain!

Them showers didn't amount to much. Not sure about the next lot lurking out to sea. Again the meto's site forecast shows heavy snow showers for us from midnight and their radar backs this up.

They're going to have to intensify a bit first though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold.

Could do with a top up here NW Sheff. It's been on and off with light glitteraty snow but nothing meaningful. Then again I did wake up to ~3inches of snow on the roof of my car. I'm just greedy and want what is meant to be coming across from the east to stop just in front of the pennines and dump a load of snow on me. :D

Posted

Nah that's the famous Sheffield shield. Kills storms and showers and normally all snow dead. Drizzle distant lightening the odd large flake of snow allowed. However this did break down in 2007/2010 but since has been repaired turning 30cm of snow into 3mm. So far the shield hasn't been perfected. If it's windy this still gets through. At the moment the fix for this isn't priority I hear so I can expect the odd gale for the next few years. I have a team trying to find the location of the shield and if you seen a mushroom cloud followed by headline news of Sheffield has had it's biggest T storm ever you know I've found it.

rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

If we get around 14cm or so of snow (rough translation from mm), on top of the snow we have now, then we'd have more than 20cm of accumulated snow. That would be approaching December 2010 and January 2010.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

Where is expected to get 14cm out of interest. Thought we are looking at amounts between 2-6cm ?!

Edited by Lincstim

Posted

Where is expected up get 14cm?

Nowhere is forecast to, just a quick translation from NAE PPN totals.

Posted

Nowhere is forecast to, just a quick translation from NAE PPN totals.

All depends on the water content of the snow if it's dry snow the translation works very well as it has done this week. Dry snow tends to fall below zero as long as there's no intervening layers of warm air wet snow above zero. So it's quite possible to have an inch of rain and an inch of snow while with dry snow the depth would be a foot.

Posted

All depends on the water content of the snow if it's dry snow the translation works very well as it has done this week. Dry snow tends to fall below zero as long as there's no intervening layers of warm air wet snow above zero. So it's quite possible to have an inch of rain and an inch of snow while with dry snow the depth would be a foot.

Yup, you're right. If it's dry then 14mm could be more like 19cm, not common in the UK.

Posted

Yup, you're right. If it's dry then 14mm could be more like 19cm, not common in the UK.

I'm too micturated too work out the correct conversion. Best rule of thumb is the higher the temp the less the final depth.

Inversely the larger pile of snow you can make is with higher temps.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

To be honest i feared that tommorow nights event would not be much better than a repeat of yesterday (i.e weak inland) however current NAE predictions (which have done extremely well) do suggest that i will be very pleased.

Will be visiting parents tommorow so taking a measurement.

Posted

Well if it takes 4 weeks to get to a foot of snow it will be one weirdest cold spells we ever had.

Posted

18z GFS is epic in terms of cold lasting right through to next saturday with another reload from the north east. SURELY this can't happen?

We would have snow on the ground for nearly 2 weeks if this keeps trending this way!

Posted

We are normally used to having one big fall followed by sporadic lighter falls. This spell unusually has had several small falls that keep topping up the snow depth.

Posted

Now if we had the minus -20c the mail were suggesting. Okay maybe not and no more snow what we got could evaporate away.

Posted

Well if it takes 4 weeks to get to a foot of snow it will be one weirdest cold spells we ever had.

Being fair it took 19 days in winter 2010 to reach 29cm (and 21cm of that fell in one day).

Posted

Nov/Dec 2010 was also a gradual build up here, with multiple snowfalls all piling up until the 'big one' on the 1 December, 5+ inches widely in West Yorkshire I'd guess. The only day that I recall seeing Leeds in absolute chaos due to snowfall with every form of transport halted or delayed. LBA only closed for a very short period of time though (relatively speaking), despite getting a foot of snow - Heathrow, take note. nea.gif

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Being fair it took 19 days in winter 2010 to reach 29cm (and 21cm of that fell in one day).

Took us one day. 35cm on 1st Dec 40cm by the 2nd........... Remember Winter is Dec Jan Feb.....

Edited by The PIT

Posted

Nov/Dec 2010 was also a gradual build up here, with multiple snowfalls all piling up until the 'big one' on the 1 December, 5+ inches widely in West Yorkshire I'd guess. The only day that I recall seeing Leeds in absolute chaos due to snowfall with every form of transport halted or delayed.

That one was actually much more even in that it took 6 days to reach 23cm here but included a 9cm and the 11cm snowfall on the 2nd (i think it was the second and not the first).

Took us one day. 35cm on 1st Dec 40cm by the 2nd...........

Winter 2010 means Dec 09/Jan 10.