Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

snowing in armley west leeds...just look on the radar...a straight line of precip banging into the pennines , does anyone know if this is a pre cursour to something or what ?

Posted

Question?

Is there a way to work out your Dew Point from temp and humidity??

Thanks

My weather station does it for me but theres a fault on it so when the dew point drops below zero it shows a dew point of -175.5C!!

So,

I use this instead to work it out.

http://www.decatur.de/javascript/dew/index.html

Calculates it for you.

Slight thaw here today but we still have the bulk of the snowfall on the ground.

Temp 1.9C. Humidity 69% giving a dew point of -175.5C!! or -2.8C! tease.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Been through the ensembles (12Z GEFS) and... an Upgrade for West Yorks, only two runs are marginal and even these give 5-8cms. The rest 10cms or more over Sunday night/Monday morning.

EDIT: hard to know if it's snowing or raining right now, such is the lightness of the PPN. Either way, things starting to freeze over again. Mostly not thawed except for the roads and the odd car.

snowing in armley west leeds...just look on the radar...a straight line of precip banging into the pennines , does anyone know if this is a pre cursour to something or what ?

Same - flakes appear to be larger, and no thaw at all except on the roofs, but even then it's not significant.

Posted

These showers are moving east to west quite quickly, with these winds across the north sea I wouldn't be suprised to see a small convergence zone set-up.

Posted

These showers are moving east to west quite quickly, with these winds across the north sea I wouldn't be suprised to see a small convergence zone set-up.

No way.

Posted

in that case then, would it be reasonable to assume the convergance zone is to the east of the pennines

Posted

Agreed......biggrin.png

Light snow falling again here again picking up intensity..biggrin.png

Posted

No way.

blum.gif

in that case then, would it be reasonable to assume the convergance zone is to the east of the pennines

Nothing yet, but there's a small chance it could happen, especially when these showers to the north east feed down.

Posted

streamers forming, look at radar.... pennines blocking showers and moisture comming in ,, nice developments to follow .... looking good

Posted

Nothings going to feed down, surely ? Just had a glance at the model thread. More toys and dummies being spat out than a baby's party.

Posted

streamers forming, look at radar.... pennines blocking showers and moisture comming in ,, nice developments to follow .... looking good

Not quite yet. Let's see what happens when those showers to the north east come down. The showers over our region at our moment are very light.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

Well the flow is strong enough for a streamer it seems. Cant really see them showers moving south though on the radar.

Posted

Why is everyone saying the showers over the ne are moving south.

We are not, we are saying they are moving SW from NE, the shower activity is moving more South down the East Coast

It has been North of us all day showers moving NW from SE if that makes sense!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

GFS pushes the heavy PPN right to the Pennines, so looking good. Rain appears to be confined to the coasts. Shows a few hours of heavy snow for many areas.

Less marginal for coastal situations I would say, the 12z GFS. Still likely to be a wintery mix right on the coast, but looks OK 5-10 miles inland, and PPN looks heavy enough over the eastern part of the region to mean that even coastal areas will get some snow. We had some N Sea temp modification today, but all our ppn fell as snow or graupel - and it was extremely light.

Posted

I can see the energy thats producing those showers is transferring south. Check radar by 9pm.

Posted

Was a bit paranoid about my Dew point but just checked and its -4c so looking good still smile.png

An outrageous comment in any normal sphere of life!

Posted

Only just got home but there's a notable dusting on the roads that were previously clear.

Intermittent very light snow with the odd heavier burst.

Temperature a milder -1.c. Temperature in Leeds centre hovering a touch above freezing.

Posted

Good Evening,

So thoughts on tomorrow, what do we reckon?

The Latest BBC forecast updated at 6.15pm on there website does show the snow coming into our region Sunday night and looks quite heavy as it moves into the north east but will see what tomorrow brings

Edited by LeeSnowFan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

Ha Ha Ha

Thanks thats great!

How do you work it out then!!

Temp 1.2oC

Humidity 87%

=

Ha not a clue I just look at my local weather station that just around the corner from me!!! Sorry