Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Struggling to make pics out on screen and my eyes are not the greatest getting old (nearly 31:( ) Does that show 9cm for north lincs?

Click them and they go bigger -incase you didn't know, probably did rofl.gif

Edited by Barry95

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

defo a build up of `blues` now, are we under a convection zone ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

Click them and they go bigger -incase you didn't know, probably did rofl.gif

I'm not that old lol

I'm just a bit confused at the amounts that we may get in sunny scunny north lincs especially now that Tuesday charts has gone up. The number on the map represents mm of rain correct? So is that 1mm = 1cm give or take or have I just made that up lol

And also is that total on Tuesday separate to Mondays total or an accumulation of both. Been a long day, on a double n been up since 4am.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

Things have defo swung around - this morning up to lunch time, the showers were heading off the north sea straight over Lincolnshire to us, now they're heading from the NE :)

Posted

Just checked snow depth its 5cm every where and 7cm on grass. Surprised to say how light it was last night.

Wind has picked up and now snow grains is falling outside. Can hear them hitting the ground. very weird

Posted

is something brewing over yorkshire...? defo a bigger build of light precip all over , albeit light... for now..! i guess its something to do with the change in wind direction and the showers incoming from the east .

correction north east

Edited by bryan629

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Wind easterly no change http://expert-images...011915_1912.gif

Showers are pepping up from the east though.Looks like there will be instability ahead of the main action tomorrow too.

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2013/01/19/basis12/ukuk/prty/13012012_1912.gif

Edited by winterof79

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

is something brewing over yorkshire...? defo a bigger build of light precip all over , albeit light... for now..! i guess its something to do with the change in wind direction and the showers incoming from the east .

correction north east

Yep, it does seem that the precip has picked up and is now coming from the East (perhaps ENE here). Can't see anything outside and seems to be skirting past us at the mo.

Temp here is +1.1°C with a DP of -1.2°C and it has risen all day. Hopefully the change in direction and the the advent of darkness, will make it drop again.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Looks good in France at the moment....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

I'm not that old lol

I'm just a bit confused at the amounts that we may get in sunny scunny north lincs especially now that Tuesday charts has gone up. The number on the map represents mm of rain correct? So is that 1mm = 1cm give or take or have I just made that up lol

And also is that total on Tuesday separate to Mondays total or an accumulation of both. Been a long day, on a double n been up since 4am.

Yeah 1mm is 1cm and I believe it's an accumulation of both.

Posted

Nothings brewing but those showers over north east england do look like coming into yorkshire!

i appreciate that good.gif but it seems like there is light snow cropping up all over yorkshire... i cant help thinking about the convection that occoured friday evening and im sat here wondering if we might get a `surprise` .

im sure those showers to the NE will make it well inland, obviously with out as much clout for western areas.

looking forward to sunday/monday as well .. unofficial bank holiday. heeee heeee

Posted

i appreciate that good.gif but it seems like there is light snow cropping up all over yorkshire... i cant help thinking about the convection that occoured friday evening and im sat here wondering if we might get a `surprise` .

im sure those showers to the NE will make it well inland, obviously with out as much clout for western areas.

looking forward to sunday/monday as well .. unofficial bank holiday. heeee heeee

Yep that's the thing with north sea convection and showers, streamers can set up without warning and give good amounts out of the blue.

I remember going to sleep one night with the forecast for odd light snow showers overnight, woke up to 4 inches of snow ; ) that was curtousy of a small streamer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

Relative humidity gives the ratio of how much moisture the air is holding to how much moisture it could hold at a given temperature.

This can be expressed in terms of vapor pressure and saturation vapor pressure:

RH = 100% x (E/Es)

where, according to an approximation of the Clausius-Clapeyron equation:

E = E0 x exp[(L/Rv) x {(1/T0) - (1/Td)}] and

Es = E0 x exp[(L/Rv) x {(1/T0) - (1/T)}]

where E0 = 0.611 kPa, (L/Rv) = 5423 K (in Kelvin, over a flat surface of water), T0 = 273 K (Kelvin)

and T is temperature (in Kelvin), and Td is dew point temperature (also in Kelvin)

So, if you know the temperature, you can solve for Es, and substitute the equation for E into the exp<b></b>ression for relative humidity and solve for Td (dewpoint)

Hope this is correct. Just off the top of my head. Honest (cut n paste)

Edited by Lincstim

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL

Temps dropping now, been at -1.0C all day and now at -1.5C, no thaw at all, not seen a drip but theres some small icicles, nothing like the 6ft monsters of 2009 and 2010.

Been snizzling all day, even when theres big gaps on the radar it just seems to appear over the top of us.

Posted

Relative humidity gives the ratio of how much moisture the air is holding to how much moisture it could hold at a given temperature.

RH = 100% x (E/Es)

where E0 = 0.611 kPa, (L/Rv) = 5423 K (in Kelvin, over a flat surface of water), T0 = 273 K (Kelvin)

and T is temperature (in Kelvin), and Td is dew point temperature (also in Kelvin)

So, if you know the temperature, you can solve for Es, and substitute the equation for E into the expression for relative humidity and solve for Td (dewpoint)

RH = 100% x (E/Es)

So, if you know the temperature, you can solve for Es, and substitute the equation for E into the expression for relative humidity and solve for Td (dewpoint)

Ha Ha Ha

Thanks thats great!

How do you work it out then!!

Temp 1.2oC

Humidity 87%

=

Posted

Moderate snow here in north Leeds and its settling pretty quick

where abouts are ya? Can see a heavy echo pass through ilkley/addingham but thats about it

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted

I'm in ls7 and its snowing moderately here....relative to the ice microgranules earlier

Edit: seems like a heavier shower if the above 'microgranules'

Edited by ezman

Posted

Been through the ensembles (12Z GEFS) and... an Upgrade for West Yorks, only two runs are marginal and even these give 5-8cms. The rest 10cms or more over Sunday night/Monday morning.

EDIT: hard to know if it's snowing or raining right now, such is the lightness of the PPN. Either way, things starting to freeze over again. Mostly not thawed except for the roads and the odd car.

Edited by ITSY