Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Looking at the radar we annoyingly see a large mass of precipitation just north of Ripon.

Looking at the forecast we see the winds expected to change from an E (currently) to an ENE so its possible that we are expected to catch that snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

Looking at the radar we annoyingly see a large mass of precipitation just north of Ripon.

Looking at the forecast we see the winds expected to change from an E (currently) to an ENE so its possible that we are expected to catch that snow.

I hope it does, as looking at the radar, those showers that were devoloping over the sea and blowing in over Lincolnshire are looking like they're quitting on us!

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

I was about to post the same, radar returns from Scarborough North travelling East across the moors and fading at the Lake District.

Just looked on the METO and they have the E N/E now so will keep a look out.

Did anyone notice on MeteoRadar on Thursday a perfect ring radar return with Lincoln as the epicenter going out about 20 miles?

There were patchy returns for the area yet there was a perfect full ringed return, only a thin band and it was present all afternoon through

the evening. It also looked like 2 more outer rings were partly formed to the S/E with a small gap between the 3.

Anyone have any ideas what could cause this?

Edited by Machu Picchu

Posted

Yellow Warning of Snow for Yorkshire & Humber

Yellow Warning of Snow for Yorkshire & Humber : East Riding of Yorkshire & North Yorkshire valid from 0005 Sat 19 Jan to 1300 Sun 20 Jan

Issued yesterday wasnt it ? I for one am happy with our snow. It looks like staying cold for a week or so more. Things can only get deeper. Better to have lots of little events building up the snow than one big event band all done with.

I was about to post the same, radar returns from Scarborough North travelling East across the moors and fading at the Lake District.

Did anyone notice on MeteoRadar on Thursday a perfect ring radar return with Lincoln as the epicenter going out about 20 miles?

There were patchy returns for the area yet there was a perfect full ringed return, only a thin band and it was present all afternoon through

the evening. It also looked like 2 more outer rings were partly formed to the S/E with a small gap between the 3.

Aliens!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Anaprop, false radar returns.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

Issued yesterday wasnt it ? I for one am happy with our snow. It looks like staying cold for a week or so more. Things can only get deeper. Better to have lots of little events building up the snow than one big event band all done with.

Aliens!

rofl.gifrofl.gif

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Unless the forecast has changed since early doors there wasn't ant heavy snow forecast today. East Yorkshire should get some tomorrow night. Otherwise looking at the regional forecast light snow is the theme. So we're looking for pleasant surprises in the next few days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Looks like the snow coming for sunday , is a little later around 4/5pm for around Lincoln.No dout it will all change again By the morning.x

Posted

Don't worry, people in W and S Yorkshire, East Yorkshire will soon be flooded due to climate change while Scarborough will fall into the ocean. diablo.gif

Posted

Anaprop, false radar returns.

Can a perfect ring be created from anaprop then? It was perfect, you could run a compass around it.

The only idea that made sense to me was some kind of interference from a ground radar from Waddington Airbase etc.

I'll look up anaprop, cheers. good.gif

Edited by Machu Picchu

Posted

Heres some pictures. The weather keeps alternating between light and heavy snizzle. Hard to get a good depth however we have 11cm's on the grass, and an average of 8cm's on the path. I seem to have done quite well over the last three snow events.

post-6181-0-29546900-1358596838_thumb.jppost-6181-0-00096000-1358596864_thumb.jppost-6181-0-37139900-1358596895_thumb.jppost-6181-0-50039200-1358596918_thumb.jppost-6181-0-87956300-1358596936_thumb.jppost-6181-0-79541500-1358596954_thumb.jppost-6181-0-32718100-1358596984_thumb.jppost-6181-0-16413000-1358597005_thumb.jp

Posted

Can a perfect ring be created from anaprop then? It was perfect, you could run a compass around it.

The only idea that made sense to me was some kind of interference from a ground radar from Waddington Airbase etc.

I'll look up anaprop, cheers. good.gif

Yup, if the radar thinks something is there, then it'll show it as precip, even if there is no precip there. I recall seeing a massive ring over Ireland which looked like a doomsday harbinger.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Well still looks good for 5-10cm east of the pennines for yorkshire on sunday night.

Even west yorkshire will get 3-5cm!

Have faith :)

Posted

Looks like the snow coming for sunday , is a little later around 4/5pm for around Lincoln.No dout it will all change again By the morning.x

Any sign of a thaw taking place? It's ok here with no hint of a thaw and very light snow falling once again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

Well still looks good for 5-10cm east of the pennines for yorkshire on sunday night.

Even west yorkshire will get 3-5cm!

Have faith :)

I admire the optimism.

Posted

Yup, if the radar thinks something is there, then it'll show it as precip, even if there is no precip there. I recall seeing a massive ring over Ireland which looked like a doomsday harbinger.

Cool, cheers Aaron.

Posted

The temperature is remarkably stable, it has not changed for well over an hour, no thaw, which is good, temperatures over the next few days look stable, little variation, we need a good hard freeze I think..

Posted

I think sunday/mondays event should affect the whole of yorkshire and linconshire.

Firstly, early precipitation forecasts are looking good

GFS

Rtavn424.png

UKMO

Rukm483.gif

NAE

13012106_1906.gif

As you can see, good agreement from all three models that the precipitation should reach the pennines at very least!

Secondly it is all curtousy of a low moving up from france, it doesn't hug the eastern coastline, it eventually moves inland over northern england, thus bringing the snow with it.

Sat over holland

Rtavn361.png

Now moved north west over north yorkshire

Rtavn481.png

We are in good agreement here, now the question is how heavy will it be? I think the closer to the coast you are, the most snow you should get although ignore the emediate coastline (within 10 miles of coast) may be sleet or too marginal for good accumulations.

gfs-2-36.png?6

gfs-2-42.png?6

gfs-2-48.png?6

gfs-2-54.png?6

If these maps are to be believed some areas could see a good 12-15 hours of snowfall, especially to the north of our region.

Early estimations for me:

Within 10 miles of coast 0-5cm (slushy)

east yorkshire/linconshire 7-12cm

Rest of yorkshire 3-8cm.

One thing for sure it should be another good day of radar watching drinks.gif

Posted

The temperature is remarkably stable, it has not changed for well over an hour, no thaw, which is good, temperatures over the next few days look stable, little variation, we need a good hard freeze I think..

I must admit i was expecting a much stronger breeze this morning and a slow thaw,but it's all goodbiggrin.png

Posted

I heard they had cancelled it for Lincoln due to lack of interest and are sending it to S Yorks instead. blum.gif

Posted

Good summary HC, I think the BBC are not being bullish enough with their forecasts, pretty much all models indicate the PPN reaching the Pennines.