Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

All this talk of heavy snow between 12-3 - where exactly is it coming from as radar looks a bit bare with little sign of anything beefy

Posted

BBC forecast not looking good for tomorrow for West Yorkshire. sad.png

Just saw the 10:57 forecast and it was quite frankly really poor for West Yorks - keeping the Sunday/Monday snow band strictly to the East, heading into the Midlands before straddling the NE coast. If we only manage to accumulate this volume out of 3/4 events it would be staggering and a real let down. Still plenty of time to go though, and the real focus should be PPN charts after the 12Z's

All this talk of heavy snow between 12-3 - where exactly is it coming from as radar looks a bit bare with little sign of anything beefy

Perhaps if you say it will happen enough times it will!!!!!!! (me too, no clue where its coming from)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

S

I take it you mean the band spreading up from the southeast later tomorrow evening? NAE charts look good for most of the region, whilst the NMM High resolution looks marginal esp towards the coast, NAE model has been pretty good of latepost-5042-0-67399800-1358592933_thumb.gi this is for 06hrs mon morning.

So...........

from looking at this things still look rather positive for Sunday/Monday!

So why is there a few things flying round saying (dare I say it)

rain????

:(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms

Still very light snizzle here..almost looks like rain...but no complaints from me now whateva it does outside..as i am more than happy from what my area got yesterday :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Just saw the 10:57 forecast and it was quite frankly really poor for West Yorks - keeping the Sunday/Monday snow band strictly to the East, heading into the Midlands before straddling the NE coast. If we only manage to accumulate this volume out of 3/4 events it would be staggering and a real let down. Still plenty of time to go though, and the real focus should be PPN charts after the 12Z's

Perhaps if you say it will happen enough times it will!!!!!!! (me too, no clue where its coming from)

I am confused too, but we all know that mod-heavy snow can develop out of virtually nothing, so we'll wait and see.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Been out for a drive on top. Sheffield side roads are okay however dropping down into Hathersage roads totally covered and since the snow was getting heavier again I decided not to try and reach the dams.

Back in sunny sheffield our snow depth is 7cm or 2 and three quarter inches no great shakes and that's after three falls of snow.

Hopefully the next batch of snow will bring proper snow to the region aka 79 or 81 or 2010 style.

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

Another METO downgrade bomb, 12pm heavy snow has now been removed completely just leaving the 3pm which i'm sure will suffer the same fate as

we get nearer the time. bomb.gif BOOOOoooooM

Posted

There isn't going to be any heavy snow this pm. Its people looking at the met office hourly forecast which I think is computer generated.

Posted

S

So...........

from looking at this things still look rather positive for Sunday/Monday!

So why is there a few things flying round saying (dare I say it)

rain????

sad.png

They are probably looking at the NMM Model which indicates a very marginal situation of snow to rain event esp towards the coast, will have more of an idea by tomorrow mornings updates, dont panic just yet.

Posted

Gonna stick my neck out. Heavy snow showers for north eastern and far eastern coasts. Won't drive inland as its a slack easterly flow. I wish people would use the radar instead of hope casting and hoping that if they type heavy snow, somehow their keyboard is plugged into the sky. Rant over lol

Posted

using the RADAR it currently shows nothing over me, yet its lightly snowing like yesterday and has been for last 15 minutes!!

Current Temp 0.1C

Dew Point -0C

It is here too. But very light as to not cause an echo.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

Good Morning, more snow overight looks great out there and things are certainly looking good for yorkshire tommorow smile.png

Eyup mate, sounds good over there, just been for a walk down the river and in the fields with the camera and its bloody fantastic. The quality of the snow is classic,

i only see it this good when i go skiing, really nice powder thats been below 0C so your foot just sinks into it with a nice crunch then scatters when you take your foot out.

None of that clumping and sticking together like it usually does.

Got a nice amount, especially in the drifts which on the fields some are well above the knee. Seriously cold though, its -1.0C and the windchill is a killer, my fingers and toes

were aching and i had my winter mountain biking gloves that are designed to stop that when riding at 20+mph. Still shnizzling but don't think it will come to anything.

Took some pics so i'll get them on when i've defrosted.

Edited by Machu Picchu

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

Heavy snow was never going to happen today. Those computer generated forecasts are not worth looking at.

Posted

Heavy snow was never going to happen today. Those computer generated forecasts are not worth looking at.

I agree, i just use them as a bit of a guide then look at the radar. I do like it when they get it right though but its very rare. BBC is terrible, cant even use that as a guide.

Our only hope for today is a streamer to set up.. And I believe that the chance of that happening is fairly slim.

Very slim, anorexic even.

Posted

I take it you mean the band spreading up from the southeast later tomorrow evening? NAE charts look good for most of the region, whilst the NMM High resolution looks marginal esp towards the coast, NAE model has been pretty good of latepost-5042-0-67399800-1358592933_thumb.gi this is for 06hrs mon morning.

Absolutely, the precipitation predicted by ALL the latest models for Sunday night into Monday looks really positive for all of Yorkshire. Yesterday the front pushed in from the Southwest and hence Western areas did much better. However, the front tomorrow is pushing in from the (South) East and Yorkshire will do very well for snowfall! There is a very simple dividing line and this is highlighted by the latest models - those East of the Pennines will do very well and those to the West won't do as well!

Right - I'm off sledging :-)!

Posted

using the RADAR it currently shows nothing over me, yet its lightly snowing like yesterday and has been for last 15 minutes!!

Current Temp 0.1C

Dew Point -0C

Yes it is http://www.raintoday.co.uk/mobile can see what's coming in from the east on here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Well the cloud cover is certainly heavy enough for a constant 'snizzle' here so any thickening would only increase the rate? The Radar will only pick this type of snow up as it starts falling (once the journey up the flanks of the Pennines triggers it) so even clouds , not snowing at the coast, could have enough moisture once it's forced up over the hills?

Posted

Unsure why people diss the BBC. They get the data from the Merton don't they

Says in association with metoffice

I asked metoffice yesterday and they said to stick with "Regional Forecasts" as they don't have control over the main BBC forecast

Posted

Unsure why people diss the BBC. They get the data from the Merton don't they

Thats the weird thing about it, they have all the same warnings etc as the METO yet their local forecasts are always different in certain ways.

I think a lot of my problem with them also is i dont like the user interface, its probably changed since last time i went on there which would then

suggest that i'm talking out my backside, which is not uncommon, in fact, highly likely.

Edited by Machu Picchu

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Says in association with metoffice

I asked metoffice yesterday and they said to stick with "Regional Forecasts" as they don't have control over the main BBC forecast

I'm pretty sure regional forecasts often use different sources - some use obscure forecasting companies that most people have never heard of.

Just been outside and glad to report no thaw whatsoever.

Edited by Aaron