Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow snow snow !!!!

Right who thinks we will have some more snow tonight. We have got 4inches at the moment , the paths around mosborough (sheffield) are currently very slushy so could do with a big freeze then some nice big heavy snowfall

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.

Guys I am pretty confused here so could do with some help. My weather station in leeds has been sub zero all day yet apparently it's thawing..?? Is this true? (As I'm in doncaster for the night where it is thawing) also how come the snow has so rapidly melted off the paths and roads!!?? Is the new freezing point now sub zero wt the flip....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

Right who thinks we will have some more snow tonight. We have got 4inches at the moment , the paths around mosborough (sheffield) are currently very slushy so could do with a big freeze then some nice big heavy snowfall

Can't see us getting anymore than a dusting tonight but it should freeze. -2 and lower outside towns.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

hmm, the next 2 hours may well be quite interesting looking at the radar. I do see the energy transition south now and in about 2 hours or so i think it will reach the Humber.

Posted

Interesting! Showers out to sea have become more organised and are heading in this direction. They've still a way to go but plenty of places could see another good covering if they make it.

I only decided to check after the gritter came up our street which is highly unusual as it's only a back road and no throughfare. Maybe they've been tipped off! ;)

Posted

Very slow thaw here today as temperatures have hovered around 2 degrees for much of afternoon, I think the reason why the thaw has been slow has been down to the dew points with have remained sub zero all day. I would really love things to get down to zero as bbc look north suggest it will, I just can't see it some how.

Posted

another good day here reading everyones comments, here is hoping for some more snow tomorrow but i feel its going to be marginal for down here, in the mean time im off to sit in the hot tub with a bottle of beer, have a good night all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The models are converging on a middle ground solution re. marginality next week as the frontal systems start to come up from the south. At present, from my reading of the snow risk outputs, the GFS 12Z is suggesting mainly snow inland and rain/sleet near the east coast, whereas the 06Z had mainly rain/sleet across lowland parts of the whole region by Tuesday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

Talk on the page regarding model readings that what we currently are experiencing is not to do with SSW but its just our average January weather. They are indicating that the effect of the SSW is yet to happen and may start after a brief mild spell this time next week lasting on a couple of days! Thoughts from anyone that is a little more knowledgeable on this than me ( most folk)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny (hate hot), severe thunderstorms, heavy snow, extreme cold

Here it comes according to radar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Took the kids on their new sledge today they loved it. I decided to have a go n the ruddy sledge broke on me. GRR got two angry kids and two sore cheeks

Posted

Talk on the page regarding model readings that what we currently are experiencing is not to do with SSW but its just our average January weather. They are indicating that the effect of the SSW is yet to happen and may start after a brief mild spell this time next week lasting on a couple of days! Thoughts from anyone that is a little more knowledgeable on this than me ( most folk)

Yeah, from what iv'e picked up this is infact the initial response to the SSW which occurs 5-7 days after the warming. The next stage could be 21 days after initial warming meaning the best may yet be to come. Needs remembering though that it may not even effect us but the metoffice seem fairly confident with this in their longer range output.

"However, colder weather and below average temperatures then probably come to dominate once more towards mid-month (feb). In terms of rain and snowfall, southern parts in particularly will probably start wetter than average, but trend to nearer normal by mid-month, while the north will probably see drier than average conditions for much of the period. Meanwhile, the frequency of snow events during this period may be greater than average."

Although they express uncertainty it's fairly unusual for them to give such detail in this period i think.

Just had a couple of light/ moderate graupel showers giving a litttle covering on the slushy bits. Plenty more showers lurking out to sea but they seem to lose intensity as they head towards us.

Edited by PMPhotography

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Shower activity picking up around the Humber and beginning to head inland on the ENE wind?

Posted

Shower activity picking up around the Humber and beginning to head inland on the ENE wind?

Yep i think it's time to start lampost watching again lol.

Posted

Yep i think it's time to start lampost watching again lol.

Yeah, I've noticed that too, I just wish the air temp would go down!!! Feels balmy out there compared with the -6's we were getting last week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold blasts, snowy Summer hot sultry thunderstorms

@lincstim yes mate, this spell of cold weather was brought about by the SSW the reversal of the mean zonal winds 60N brought

this about and the full effects are yet to be felt !! it looks like piece of the vortex thats left over northern canada will move to our

north east (scandi) this will allow the hights to our build north west greenland (high) but we have to go through quick milder

blip to achieve this so we await the full effects of the ssw downwelling to kick in.. my take on things as of now..

Posted

Yeah, I've noticed that too, I just wish the air temp would go down!!! Feels balmy out there compared with the -6's we were getting last week.

Yes it's disappointing that the temps aren't dropping, but at least there isn't too much of a thaw taking place with the low dew points.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold blasts, snowy Summer hot sultry thunderstorms

4 mile north of u sunny scunny -1.5c pretty constant all day.. its all that concrete lol,,,

Edited by syncmaster

Posted

Its been really quiet on here today, yet the weather hasnt done much, and with tomorrow coming thought alot of people would be discussing it?

When the low appears on the radar things will pick up again in the forums- expect a busy morning and afternoon tomorrow! :)

Posted

Yes it's disappointing that the temps aren't dropping, but at least there isn't too much of a thaw taking place with the low dew points.

At least the dew points are getting colder!! What do you think we will get tomorrow evening/night? I am hopeful for at least an inch or 2, just hope we stay right side of marginal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

Got light snow falling tiny like pellets couldnt see at my trusty lampost but wind picked up and its blowing across the road and can see its settled in cracks in road/pavement