Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Afternoon everyone looks like a upgrade in forecast , should see light snow hitting lincoln area around 2pm carnt wait .xx

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

This is my early estimations of where the heaviest snow will fall. tn_gallery_4607_358_144342.png

Red zone: 10-20cm

Orange zone:7-15cm

Yellow zone: Inland 3-6cm, coast - Dusting to 3cm.

image is really small can't make out the area's?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

We could do with some good cloud breaks this evening just before main snow arrives to allow a drop in temperature.

A clear night last night might have helped as well.

All this cloud cover is just one big duvet. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms. Big ones.

If Harsh Climate's map is correct then I'm going to need a snowmobile for the school run tomorrow. I'm at just under 1000ft in the red zone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

sml_gallery_4607_358_439363.png

erm, excuse me, you seem to have missed me out of the loads of snow section! blum.gif

Posted

erm, excuse me, you seem to have missed me out of the loads of snow section! blum.gif

Haha soz :p. To be fair though I did leave myself out of the red zone two, was tempted to just squeeze west yorkshirte into it ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

I was hoping for conditions to stay similar to yesterday so that tonight's snow would be another good top up to what we have already had. Not been outside but from just looking out the window it looks as if there has been a significant thaw even though dew point is still below 0 BUT temperatures are nearer to 2 degrees. :(

Still scunny looks like (everything crossed) that it could get a good dusting later today , tonight and in to the early hours.

Also is it looking like we are in our final week of cooler/cold conditions as the mild air pushes back in by the weekend?

Posted

Haha soz blum.gif. To be fair though I did leave myself out of the red zone two, was tempted to just squeeze west yorkshirte into it tease.gif

ok sorry for being thick but geography was never my strong point, what colour is barnsley lol forgive me

Posted

ok sorry for being thick but geography was never my strong point, what colour is barnsley lol forgive me

lol it's in the yellow zone :)

I have you down for 3-6cm, sorry for being stingy lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - storms, tornadoes, snow

Moderate thaw occurring here but not going to threaten snow cover before tonight's snow. Everything's looking good for later and let's hope it stays that way!! Don't want any 11th hour disappointments. Being a snow lover is so stressful - might have to crack open the wine a bit early today!

Posted

I can never understand why people try to predict where is going to get the heaviest precipitation and especially snow amounts. These events never turn out as forecast as the models (even the NMM and NAE) simply dont have the resolution to accuractely predict it and its simply a case of watching the radar as it happens.

Still a full cover here but we've had a heavy thaw as it has been above 2C all night. Its currently 2.4C with a dewpoint of -0.4C so pretty marginal.

Temperatures should fall as the feature arrives as the wind will turn lighter, but will it be enough?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Going to be a long time before any moderate snow sets in. Over all looks light snow with the heavier stuff still stuck over the English channel. Going fairly dark here at the moment with a slow thaw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.

If shavernacker said 20cm over Pennines just an hour ago then why hav the met not put warnings out! They were issued yesterday not today. Are they backing down now :( :'(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

Anyway more importantly.

To sledge or not to sledge

That is the question.

Hoping the pistes of scunny are still In action

:)

Also just checked METO and heavy snow expected in scunny for 6pm 3 hours earlier than they were predicting and lasting till 6am

Edited by Lincstim

Posted

Very slight thaw here, icicles are forming on the roof. The snow is no longer powdery, I reckon it's getting compacted so we'll probably loose a cm or two by the end of the day, full cover remaining.

Temperature -0.8c and dropping.

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

Its so slow moving north atm

i guess now i need the front to hit as late as poss to give temps a chance to drop, i feel its way to warm here at the mo

Its right on your doorstep sparky lol

Edited by Zak 92

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

I can never understand why people try to predict where is going to get the heaviest precipitation and especially snow amounts. These events never turn out as forecast as the models (even the NMM and NAE) simply dont have the resolution to accuractely predict it and its simply a case of watching the radar as it happens.

Quite. We've seen time and again it's the little mesoscale features that impact most during situations like this - sea temp moderation, minor changes in wind strength and direction, disturbances etc and these are almost impossible to forcast ahead of time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Looking like another Friday jobby light snow however due to the higher temps lower regions probably won't see any accumulations. Away from there probably 2cm and if you're very lucky or live near places like fox house 5cm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

Thaw starting to kick in here, snow sliding off car windows and falling off trees etc.