Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

you should get loads its snowing very heavy down here reports of over 8 inches in places

Nice to know mate but the gods up here will be working hard on ways to make it be a non event for most.

At the moment it's just refusing to move north.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

So it appears the extreme east of the region gets some stuff tonight though doesn't look too good for west Manchester,ah well good luck people..

Edited by greybing

Posted

Hope manchester gets something only got 1cm at the most after Fridays awful event for us. When should this band start to move north?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

True, there is also a yellow and amber warning further north which both end at the same western point.

They must be expecting the North West snow dome roof to be closed later.

I think all the snizzle has got into the mechanics and seized them, the dome will be open tonight.

Posted

Can't see it making much progress, the PPN seems to be stalling just south of Derby. The southern peaks will suck up anything that's remaining.

Not expecting anything here anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

I think all the snizzle has got into the mechanics and seized them, the dome will be open tonight.

Hope so, I might just go and take the fuse out to make sure they don't close the damn thing.

Just been in the Yorkshire thread and they are also talking about it being a Pennine event so we should get something on the western up slopes.

That's of course if it can be bothered to move north.

Posted

The fax charts have the first band moving to sit over the very N of England by 12Z tomorrow and the second occlusion slap bang over the NW by 18Z. The whole thing is very slow moving and probably difficult to predict in terms of precip and amounts. Patience, lamp posts and managing expectations will be the order of the next 24-36hrs biggrin.png

Edited by wysiwyg

Posted

Absolutely no chance of any worthwhile snow IMBY in the next five days, it's been a pretty poor few days no sunshine, no frost and that drip, drip, drip you get with thawing snow. We need heights to transfer over to Greenland, but not one model output shows that happening out in FI. I see the PV lobe coming out of Canada and setting up shop exactly where it did in December, cold rain and lots off.

Same as it is here except theres no drip drip drip !!

Wait till May thats when the GH will take up residence again just in time for the summer like last year.

Edited by Snow free zone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

gfsnh-2-144.png?12

GFS 12z trolling us with a snow breakdown (if it can be called a breakdown at this stage!!) on Saturday. A far cry from the Monsoon earlier runs were predicting. All becuase it pulls a wedge of cold uppers back over this and eastern regions. (PM air also being pulled towards us from the west. Weird run so far and most certainly not a typical mild breakdown.

In fact, I'm going to say the GFS looks similar to what we've seen before, LP coming in from the west or north west, hitting the block of cold air and goes spining off NWward towards the southern tip of Greenland. Not looking all that mild at all between now and next Sunday!

There is also a chance for a small ridge to build NE of the UK by Monday. If that happens, same would happen again with SW energy tracking SE.

Quite a few positives to be had from the 12z GFS ^^

Edited by Snowmad79

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

It were white here this morning and it is all gone now. sad.png It just arnt thick enough.

But at higher ground it is a different story. I doubt it is gonna snow here anyway.

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

BBC graphics look terrible.

Posted

I hope the Manchester gets some snow tonight! Watching United and the snow is coming down heavy there!!

I've noticed on the BBC graphics that it is not very accurate they need to get the issue sorted out with all the technology today I'm sure they can get the graphics more accurate!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

well the western flank appears to be shrinking somewhat now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Its game over then. cray.gifIts getting clear over here so it is difinatly game over here. Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted

BBC graphics look terrible.

I can never work those graphics out. Seems they are deliberately vague. Never sure if white means fog, frost or snow. Rubbish! Their hourlies for my area do match the METO ones though.

Posted

No surprise there then.

By the law of averages, one day we will actually get an upgrade.

Posted

Yes and the main area of ppn on out to the East seems to be starting to move N. I honestly don't see much in the way of snow IMBY through this evening and overnight. For those East of the Pennines it's a different story.

Posted

Yes and the main area of ppn on out to the East seems to be starting to move N. I honestly don't see much in the way of snow IMBY through this evening and overnight. For those East of the Pennines it's a different story.

my thoughts exactly

Posted

The eastern flank has come a lot further north now, level with with Manchester but out in the North Sea! :)

Posted

The eastern flank has come a lot further north now, level with with Manchester but out in the North Sea! :)

the snizzle has drifted over without any issues my only hope is that can too. I'm not looking south no more it just ain't moving. Edited by swainclubber

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

my thoughts exactly

Well, The Meto image posted earlier with that area of upto 25cm, it was centered on a line from say Leeds down to Sheffield and we are close the edge of the area so, you might not get 25cm but you can't totally rule out 5cm :). No matter what we should be under the ppn, even if its the lighter side.