Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in the winter. Warmth in the summer

I love living in consett for events like this...Pity i have to travel to work in the morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I'd be pretty excited if I lived on higher ground tonight, the higher County Durham towns will do very well from this. There is some very light snow falling here and it seems quite wet to me.

Posted

I dont understand why people are so down beat... We have had a prolonged cold spell, with quite frankly a very decent amount of Snow. People hoping for weeks and weeks of snow quite frankly are living in La-La land and should probably consider a move to Scandinavia. Im very impressed with this cold spell, most people in the region have had a very decent covering of snow for the past week. Tomorrow is looking very good in my eyes... Yes we may see sleet / rain at times, it may be snow but people calling it a non-event are quite frankly delusional.

Just because the Metoffice hasnt issued an amber warning for the entire north east doesn't neccesarily mean impending doom. There is a "BE AWARE" warning out with 5cm expected widely across the region. It could be much worse, we could have a mobile atlantic regime with no snow prospects, atleast we are in with a decent shout of snow, especially during the AM period.

Spare a thought for those in the North West who have had very little snow and the prospects of them seeing any remains very poor for the foreseaable future.

Remember weather warnings are issued where there is a significant risk to affecting the lives of the people inwhich it covers. Obviously in the more densely populated south there is going to be a higher risk to disruption of day to day life, they don't often get snow. Whereas here in the north we are more used to it and deal with it better therefore the impact to life is probably considered less for the same amount of snow in comparison to southern areas.

I for one am optimistic of some surprisingly high falls, i have looked at the NAE precipitation forecasts and compiled this map which i think will reflect snowfall by 6pm tomorrow ...

post-4252-0-58555300-1358692721_thumb.pn

I for one am excited for tomorrow and expecting we can achieve these totals!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

What do they class as the coast?

I think my location counts as the coast,

Here's hoping.

You would have to be on the beach to be closer than Seaton Sluice than the coast. I work on the West side of N. Shields about 3km from the coast and there is always a marked difference in snow depth between there and Westmoor

Posted

Its a very stable 1.2c here. The slow thaw continues. Occasional showers of fine hail

Posted

Interesting day ahead. Wouldn't be suprised to see warning area enlarged close to event. If we get another 20cms here that will put total around half a metre here.

Posted

are the temps,dew points tonight and tomorrow not going to be similar to friday night when there was snow down the coastal fringes?, don't think there will be any warm sectors in system that is moving north tonight, the bbc forcasters have not been mentioning rain on the coast, look forward to some lamp post watching later tonight.

Posted

Just seen the weeks forecast and to me we have at least a 50/50 chance of the sledging slopes remaining open this week! Any high ground Stanley/Consett etc look like having a cracking week, winter wonderland up there today. Fingers crossed for us lowlanders next 48 hrs!

Posted

Interesting day ahead. Wouldn't be suprised to see warning area enlarged close to event. If we get another 20cms here that will put total around half a metre here.

Do you really have a foot already? There wasn't much more than 2-3 inches in the A69 to your north, and it does rise to ~150m asl.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Well those in the East Midlands are reporting a blanket of snow already which seems intense, I have a feeling the Met Office have underestimated this.

Yeah you only have to look at the NAE maps to see its an intense band of snow we could see that amber warning extended to more parts of the region later

Edited by Gavin.

Posted

Just been on the SE thread. There is widely 3-4" there, but no heavy ppn yet.

Posted

The 12z NAE has snow right across the region for tomorrow,no sign of sleet or rain.

Similar amounts of precipitation to the 06z by tueday morning,between 30-40mm.

Posted

Yeah you only have to look at the NAE maps to see its an intense band of snow we could see that amber warning extended to more parts of the region later

Can it remain that intense by the time it reaches us?

Posted

Can it remain that intense by the time it reaches us?

Of course it could nothing to stop it intensifying more either its move very slowly going by the radar

Posted

Just measured with tape and its currently 26cms. We are near enough double the height of the A69 and just a short drive down hill to ebchester and the snow is near enough only half as deep.

Posted

Proper light snow shower now, and there looks to be a fair few forming in the North Sea ahead of tonight's front.

Posted

46 feet asl here lol. About 6 miles from the coast as well so in a pretty bad spot for tonight/tomorrow but fingers crossed we get some luck as the maximum depth here during this cold spell has been 3-4cm on the grass and 1cm on pavements.

Posted

850's for tomorrow

gfs-1-18.png?12

gfs-1-24.png?12

gfs-1-30.png?12

Significant and disruptive snow seems likely now the uncertain thing still is what will happen at coastal areas but we will find out in the morning

gfs-2-18.png?12

gfs-2-24.png?12

gfs-2-30.png?12

Looking at the radar this system is moving very slowly