Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

For me,snow wise so far has been bad,and like others have said I can remember better winters in the 80s.however ill take this over that awful zonal weather we've been having,damp and dreary does my head in.

Posted

Putting aside tomorrows anticipated snow, the cold spell has been pretty ordinary to me, no Ice days small amounts of snowfall and 1 decent hard frost. It seems to me we haven't had a true 'blast' of continental air only a stagnating area of continental air brought in by a 'half assed' Scandy HP, nothing like true cold easterlies as per 82', 85, 87, 91 or other events I could mention, infact fared far better last February and with far less media interest as it only concerned a small area of the UK. Lost how many times we've seen 'snowmageddon' charts on the models, they very rarely come off, at least Wales and parts of the Midlands saw a good snowfall.

I have to agree with the level of ferocity of the block. Daytime temps for the south were -6 to -8 for some of those winters you stated. This current cold snap is a bit lame really but if it does break down next week there is still a lot of time to play for and Feb always brings the greatest opportunity - I love the Spring but I don't want to see an early one!

Posted

Yes, I agree. This cold spell is loads better than anything we had for most of the 90s and 00s but a long way from the proper cold and snow depths the 80s brought, which I remember well. Another reason to bring back the 80s, the best music too smile.png

80's music the best mate...bit like the Winterssmile.png

Posted

I would say it is ordinary, today budged over 0c, snow slushy. It doesn't feel that cold, we can't expect it to though but also having been in Norway until Weds night it does feel that bit less cold here of course.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

How do you download pics if you want to post them? Anyone help please?smile.png

Posted

It hasn't been 'one day of snow'. Two bands of snow last Monday, a good covering in central and eastern parts, and lots of snow across much of the south and west yesterday. That seems ok to me. And now the potential for more tomorrow.

Sadly, it will never be enough for some, who seem obsessed with a '91 or '87, and anything less will not do. Always chasing the rainbow.

I'll sum up the snow events IMBY.

• Dec 7 Sleet
  • Jan 14 Am Snow: 1cm dusting, melting by 9am
  • Jan 14 PM Rain, Rain, Rain
  • Jan 15 Snow 01:00-03:00 2cm, melted before 6am
  • Jan 18 Light Snow. Dandruff showers left 1cm after 12 hours!
  • Jan 19 Snizzle.

No winter willie waving here! Very disappointing due to all the ramping, by forecasters, media, models and by some on here.

However, don't get me wrong, this is far better than the 12s & 13s of a few weeks ago! But it's hardly 1963!! blum.gif

Posted

PPVE89.gif?31415

PPVG89.gif?31415

these still look ok

obviously radar watch again as per normal

MT8_London_ens.png

re the outlook

staying cold until the 25th

i think we can ignore gfs main run after that way out on its own

still some prettycold ensembles there

whats happens after the 26th no idea at present

Posted

I'm happy enough with the last week, as others have said there has been some good fall of snow over areas of the UK,

and in years gone by we would have done anything to have a spell like this.

temp -0.1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

Just showing ice breakers in use at Chatham Dockyard on BBC 2, 1963 looks incredible!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers and cold winters

I just want to have an excuse to wear my snowboots. They've been out the loft for the last 3 weeks gathering dust cray.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Nice one! I'm west north west of you, but we may just get 6 cm's here depending on the final track. What do you think?

Quite possible. Heathrow on alert for up to 6cm tomorrow. Just need the heavier stuff to push west a bit :)

Posted

Try it for what?? Is it guaranteed or your money back??

Even though that site kindly let me use thier forcasts on my Website (unlke the Met) they are about as reliable as Shergars stables padlock!

The only fairly reliable forecasts are those by the BBC, with Met Office presenters. Thier hit rate is more acceptable than most.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Love the word snizzle

Posted

I think that your opinion of the cold spell will be very much skewed by how much snow that you have had. Those in the east of the area will say that it is poor - those in the west with a decent amount of snow and freezing temps today like me may just happen to disagree!

I have enjoyed this cold spell. Yes, it was disappointing at the beginning of the week when the big snow event didn't happen here on the western side of the region, but it's been frost scraping most of the week for the journey to work/school, needing a hat, scarf and gloves as the week has progressed, and finishing with the lovely snowfall giving 8cm of snow yesterday. Having gone many years with my son searching for any sign of snow right through until March, it has been very pleasant, although I agree not quite Feb 2009 or December 2010.

Just got back from Kingston where it was nice and snowy for more snowball fights along the river, loads of seagulls, swans, ducks and geese keen on our bread offerings, and 0 c on the car thermometer with a few attempts at light sleet. Fingers crossed we all get the snow goods tomorrow:)