Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

To me it depends on what Winters you have experienced before....experience 1987, 1991 etc, ..If you havent your loving 2009/2010 and this winter...to me its been VERY ordinary compared to Winters past so FAR...Could get better...rating at moment.....5/10smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

I think that your opinion of the cold spell will be very much skewed by how much snow that you have had. Those in the east of the area will say that it is poor - those in the west with a decent amount of snow and freezing temps today like me may just happen to disagree!

Agreed. This spell has been pretty pants for me so far (fingers crossed for tomorrow though), but winters throughout the late 90's early noughties really were 'pitiful'. This one's shaping up to be at least average if not better; 2009/2010 has elevated our expectations too high!

Posted

its been better than Atlantic dominated granted

But one day of snow after what was being progged this time last week is a bit of a let down

It hasn't been 'one day of snow'. Two bands of snow last Monday, a good covering in central and eastern parts, and lots of snow across much of the south and west yesterday. That seems ok to me. And now the potential for more tomorrow.

Sadly, it will never be enough for some, who seem obsessed with a '91 or '87, and anything less will not do. Always chasing the rainbow.

To me it depends on what Winters you have experienced before....experience 1987, 1991 etc, ..If you havent your loving 2009/2010 and this winter...to me its been VERY ordinary compared to Winters past so FAR...Could get better...rating at moment.....5/10smile.png

I remember some of the classic 80's cold spells as a child. The snow then was special - great fun!

Posted
  • Location: Ditchling East Sussex , on the South Downs 12 miles North of Brighton
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , Sun and lightning
  • Location: Ditchling East Sussex , on the South Downs 12 miles North of Brighton

b

I think that your opinion of the cold spell will be very much skewed by how much snow that you have had. Those in the east of the area will say that it is poor - those in the west with a decent amount of snow and freezing temps today like me may just happen to disagree!

i live in a small Village with 10 houses called Telscombe on the south downs we are about 125 mtrs above sea level and in east Sussex and have had 4"/5" so far and i have for the last two days i Have been Skiing so i am more than happy with my snow

Edited by therecoil

Posted

I always set myself a realistic target in Winter and Summer... 1 snow event (above 5CM) and 1 thunderstorm (longer than 15mins) And both those have been smashed this year so.. I am happy biggrin.pngrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

Surrey u need to update your signature for the snow from friday!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

Presume we're all watching BBC 2? Wow, what a winter! Shame it was 10 years before I was born! :o)

Edited by Jezzer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

As we have had some cold/frosts/light snowfall (here) I'd say the winter has been average so far, so a 5/10 for me as well...shame about the dreadful wet/milder spell in the run up to Xmas and the New Year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

As others have said,looks like Models are firming up that cold spell will relent from Thurs onwards and we will be back to Average temps of about 7-8 degrees this time next week with the snow probably gone for us all.But until then,we have tomorrows event and a possible surprise on Monday ,although tbf this one is marginal.

So far,first 10 days of Jan were about 3 degrees above average,next 10(upto 20th Jan) will average about 4 below average.I reckon last 10 days will be about average so all in all we are probably going to end up a little below average for Jan.

I hope we then get a reload of cold for beginning of Feb which some have hinted at that really gives us a proper 7-10 days of bitter cold and more snow than this last spell has produced,as this has been slightly disappointing in terms of snowfall

Posted

It hasn't been 'one day of snow'. Two bands of snow last Monday, a good covering in central and eastern parts, and lots of snow across much of the south and west yesterday. That seems ok to me. And now the potential for more tomorrow.

Sadly, it will never be enough for some, who seem obsessed with a '91 or '87, and anything less will not do. Always chasing the rainbow.

Why not i lived through them...nothing wrong with hoping our weather gives us another few like it....Unless climate change has scuppered our chancessmile.png

Edited by ChartViewer

I always set myself a realistic target in Winter and Summer... 1 snow event (above 5CM) and 1 thunderstorm (longer than 15mins) And both those have been smashed this year so.. I am happy :Drofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

How much snow do you still have Surrey? I'm guessing it's between 10 and 12 cm's on the grass and my car here!

Posted

Tom: Halling Match postponed 0mm Nada Big Fat Zero

Not holding my breath for tomorrow, due to the last 7 days of let downs and macro snow umbrellas!

Forecast today was for widely -1, it has been 1.3 and been bouncing 0.5 -0.9 for last few hours. 2c out tomorrow will just see the difference between Frosty the Snowman or Frosty Reception!

Prediction: I'm going for....... snow but not for all, and here possibly not the depths been banded about on here of maybe 15cm. Max 5cm. I hope I'm proved wrong.

Try this website

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Faversham/long.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Thanks for the map Surrey.

And Tom, my depth is 0cm. I'm not going to count a mild dusting as any depth whatsoever.

Edited by Lauren

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

but it has been for me

Mon I got heavy rain

Looking forward to tomorrow though

Your right though I can't expect a feb 09 streamer every year lol

Posted

Just saw ITV news the reporter at Heathrow said they are cancelling flights due to another 6cm forecast for tomorrow can't see that tbh.

Why not? That would tally with the ppn modelling

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Yes, I agree. This cold spell is loads better than anything we had for most of the 90s and 00s but a long way from the proper cold and snow depths the 80s brought, which I remember well. Another reason to bring back the 80s, the best music too :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm sunny days, tons of snow!

If that is the case, what I pitiful cold spell after all the SSW hype! Also, the amount if times I've read 'the main event is still to come' makes me laugh. I just have that horrible feeling this is going the shape of the pear. I so hope I'm wrong though as i want the cold / snow to continue.

This spell is due to the initial downwelling the full affects should show towards the end of the month

Guest bjaykent

Hi all,

Just a quickie from work, those of you in the snow depth challenge cup, could you please post your depths in cms at around 6 p.m please. Doesnt have to be 6 on the dot, as I'm not in from work until about 6.45 but it will be interesting to see how the match-ups stand, at roughly the half-way point. If you can measure on concrete, all the better but don't worry too much, its just a bit of fun!

Any match-ups between E and W members look delicately poised, yesterday gave the west of our region a fair crack of the whip,yesterday evening the situation improved for some parts of Essex and Kent. Tomorrow again looks to favour the east but will it become marginal in the east? Have got an idea if snow depths are level at the end of the competition at 09.00 Monday, which I'll put to you this evening.

Will post half/time scores later.

Cheers,

Tom.

Hi Tom 0cm for me, can't measure dust!