Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

I'm encouraged by the NAE temperature suggestions up to midday Monday. They are colder than I expected, with a good hard frost after the snow tomorrow and maybe squeeze another ice day on Mondaygood.gif

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Not rubbish in general, just poor in this region.

It was all the hype, the ramping, then seeing this snow shield that was no more than 20 miles by 20 miles. Where most around were getting plastered, reporting big depths and having fun, taking beautiful photo's kind of irks, and you shouldn't deny that feeling.

It wouldn't be so bad if the events had been total misses, but just the difference in each snow event has been maybe 20-30 miles, and not just in one direction! It's been a touch unusual.

Nope, just poor in the east of this region - and that is about to be put right tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

That rain on Monday in my manor wants to do one,be my luck to get my first decent snowfall tomoz,only to have it washed away on monday

Posted

No, but I thought it would be novel if we had snow from that direction in this cold spell... From the west on Friday and tomorrow from the south!!

And the near continent is freezing anyway...

Posted

I'm encouraged by the NAE temperature suggestions up to midday Monday. They are colder than I expected, with a good hard frost after the snow tomorrow and maybe squeeze another ice day on Mondaygood.gif

Front not arriving till around 2pm according to this radar.......

http://europa.buienradar.nl/3daagse.aspx

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

This mass of rain, sleet and snow over France headed out way for tomorrow smile.png

post-1052-0-16075600-1358623471_thumb.pn

12z GFS, UKMO GM and ECM have heaviest snow mainly to the east of London, though of course heavier pulses may end up further west, as usual nowcasting will prove the models right or wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

"significant snow in parts of Kent and Essex tomorrow." BBC's forcasters words not mine

That could be anything - I remember the Beeb using that word a few times 7/8 years ago followed by '2-5 cms'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Temp is -0.4 here in Petts Wood/Locksbottom borders.Has been below freezing here now since 4pm with slight moves downwards.I'm really hoping snow may intensify gaining moisture over channel and providing temps keep dropping down tonight am hopeful that everyone gets a good covering and that we all get top end of scale estimates for your given area.

Fingers crossed for everyone in SE!!good.gif

Posted

Nope, just poor in the east of this region - and that is about to be put right tomorrow.

This region as in the Medway / Maidstone area not as in the 5000 square miles that is the Region this particicular forum relates :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow . . . . and lots of it

lets hope subsequent NAE forecasts don't move the system even further east otherwise this could be more depressing than missing out on Fridays event !

Posted

Just back on here having watched the programme about the 1963 winter. Brilliant, and brought loads of memories back. I was eight at the time and lived right on the seafront at Southend.

The BBC programme showed some footage of the sea frozen at the end of Southend Pier, which would have been filmed by my dad. He was a freelance cine cameraman and photographer was the main one the BBC used for Essex and East London. He did a lot of filming of the snow in this area, including when the sea froze over off Thorpe Bay and Southend. I remember him filming me and my two brothers clambering over ice chunks on the beach near our house. That was broadcast on the main BBC news that evening, and when we went to school next day we felt like film stars as everybody had watched it! I was hoping they might have shown that clip tonight, but sadly they didn't. Wonder if we ended up on the cutting room floor...

Interesting how they also showed the weather charts, with those slider lows coming along the Channel. Very similar to yesterday. I don't think this current cold spell will anywhere near match that, and quite honestly I think the whole country would come to a standstill if we had it that bad again. We just wouldn't be able to cope. But living through that instilled my love of winter and snow in me.

Just for the record in the Snow Cup, the snow that is left in a few patches from last night's flurries would probably measure 0.001cm. As long as I don't breathe on it and melt it. So I guess I am 1-0 down at half-time. Just having a team talk with the snow gods about tomorrow's second half - and telling them they have to up their game and deliver or they go on the transfer list. I won't have slackers on my team!

Posted

This mass of rain, sleet and snow over France headed out way for tomorrow smile.png

post-1052-0-16075600-1358623471_thumb.pn

12z GFS, UKMO GM and ECM have heaviest snow mainly to the east of London, though of course heavier pulses may end up further west, as usual nowcasting will prove the models right or wrong.

Interesting indeed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

If snow doesn't arrive till about 2pm it will be fun travelling back from Spurs v Man u tomorrow!!.On BBC 24 they seem to think snow in Kent will start about 10am and be snowing there till about 8pm!!,moving Northwards up Eastern side of Engand and Scotland Sunday night into Monday morning

Posted

If snow doesn't arrive till about 2pm it will be fun travelling back from Spurs v Man u tomorrow!!.On BBC 24 they seem to think snow in Kent will start about 10am and be snowing there till about 8pm!!,moving Northwards up Eastern side of Engand and Scotland Sunday night into Monday morning

Why will it be fun when youve lostbiggrin.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny summers and snowy winters

beating the rags 3-1 will keep you warm...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

Temp has dropped to -0.1 and dewpoint -1.9 .Whats the thoughts for us here getting some more snow tomorrow? Or am I a little bit too far west ?