Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

London and South East Regional Discussion - Part 565

Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Yellow Warning of Snow for London & South East England :

Brighton and Hove, Buckinghamshire, East Sussex, Greater London, Kent, Medway, Milton Keynes, Slough, Surrey & West Sussex

Valid from: 1200 on Sun 20 Jan 2013

Valid to: 2359 on Sun 20 Jan 2013

A band of snow is likely to spread northwards across parts of southeastern and eastern England, as well as parts of north Wales and the north Midlands, during Sunday afternoon and evening. This will bring accumulations of 2-5 cm snow to some areas, and perhaps in excess of 8 cm towards coastal counties of southeast and eastern England. The public should be aware of the risk of disruption to travel.

This warning has been reissued on Saturday evening to include parts of north Wales and the North Midlands.

Issued at: 2306 on Sat 19 Jan 2013

http://www.metoffice...-4.50&lat=55.74

Posted

Nope, UK low level. F215. 0200 to 1100 UTC

Heathrow TAF at 1701z is showing temporary light snow from 08z, becoming light snow from 11z onwards. Probability 40% temporary of SNOW.

Light snow, same conditions as Friday. Snow is in between that and Heavy Snow. -SN/SN/+SN

Temporary means, short periods.

Ah ok, so a bit stop start for a few hours then? That'd explain the low predicted accumulations.

Posted

hi paul

850 temps ok

500 borderline

be interesting to see what forecasters show tomorrow morning on this

Yh my mistake I screwed up, that is indeed for Midnight (Sunday Night) I thought it was midnight Monday into Tuesday - DOH!

Will have to take a look at the ECM & UKMET Tomorrow morning but very interesting!

Posted

Some great reading tonight, great to see everyone so positive after Friday when it seemed like everyone was about to kill each other!!! help.gif

Well i've popped onto this thread because I read the thread on Thursday and couldn't believe some of the OTT ramping going on. Im not surprised some were very disappointed because they were completely misled by some on here who I won't mention, although suffice to say they should of known alot better!

I even read comments about the Thames streamer developing and that was never ever indicated by any evidence from the model output. The phrase Thames Streamer is used far too often on this thread every winter. A cluster of showers isn't always a streamer. A classic Thames Streamer was Feb 2009.

Posted

I am hoping the medway towns get a good dump of snow,been waiting to get down to chatham dry ski slope since fri .Should be a good covering down there by midday.

Is it true that in 2010 they had to close the ski slope because there was too much snow?

Posted

CV - I think the general gist is that Essex and East London (inc C. Wharf) are going to get well and truly walloped with snow on Sunday!

Mate to me it was some fella dancing on you tube...mind you ive had a few white winesbiggrin.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

That's it, I admit defeat! You're too clever for me.

I was apologising for the lack of umlautsbiggrin.png I have to use another keyboard for those - plus although I am trying to learn as I intend to spend time over there eventually, German grammar is a nightmare to get right!rolleyes.gif Back to the snow tongue.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Right for the 2 lovely Essex ladies, Jo and cj.

And Jo, when you get out there measuring on Monday morn, resist the urge to plant anything!

*5.3 Ongar (E) (JO S) v. Woodford Green (E) (CJ114) 3.5*

Cheers,

Tom (Now you've messed up me font)

Posted

Experts, Historians & just folk with loooong memories.

When was the last time we had a winter "storm" (Americanism...I know) approach from the South East having come right across France.

If memory serves me right, apart from some that have veered off course, they have normally brough Kent to a standstill.

Is there scope for this to be epic for Kent / Essex???

Edited by Halling Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Some great reading tonight, great to see everyone so positive after Friday when it seemed like everyone was about to kill each other!!! help.gif

Yes, I think we've all gone a bit mental tonight! A heady mixture of alcohol, double entendre's and snow on our respective doorsteps!

Posted

When was the last time we had a winter "storm" (Americanism...I know) approach from the South East having come right across France.

If memory serves me right, apart from some that have veered off course, they have normally brough Kent to a standstill.

We had an inch of snow in december that brought kent to a standtill, well a train was stuck in faversham station for 2hrs, car crashes in whitstable/ tankerton involving 10 cars...... So it wont take much.....

Edited by willinkent44

Posted

Mate to me it was some fella dancing on you tube...mind you ive had a few white winesbiggrin.png

Funnily enough so have I. Just drained a very agreeable bottle on White Bordeaux! Hopefully cracking the champers this time tomorrow!!!!

Posted

Funnily enough so have I. Just drained a very agreeable bottle on White Bordeaux! Hopefully cracking the champers this time tomorrow!!!!

Yes back to the snow......fantastic radar now

http://europa.buienradar.nl/3daagse.aspx

Temps for tmw excellent

TT_GZ_UU_VV_021_0850.gif

No m word for any SE please..........Lets all enjoy 6 hours of heavy snowsmile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

I'm on the Glenlivet left over from Christmas. Going down a right treat!

Guest bjaykent

Too much drink tonight also, but have had fun, Radar and regional posts will be key tomorrow. Good night all!

Posted

Well i've popped onto this thread because I read the thread on Thursday and couldn't believe some of the OTT ramping going on. Im not surprised some were very disappointed because they were completely misled by some on here who I won't mention, although suffice to say they should of known alot better!

I even read comments about the Thames streamer developing and that was never ever indicated by any evidence from the model output. The phrase Thames Streamer is used far too often on this thread every winter. A cluster of showers isn't always a streamer. A classic Thames Streamer was Feb 2009.

Care to shed any light on who these posters were Dave ?

You can Pm me if you want although I have a fair idea who your gripe is with already!

Am intrigued and I did try to warn some people about the Streamer not happening Saturday as no local conditions were condusive on any models.

Also are you saying that the only Thames Streamer event to happen has been the Feb 2009 event since the birth of Netweather in 2003

Intrigued!

Edited by Paul Sherman

Posted

with respect eye this not the mod thread

well as far as i am concerned i thought this was a regional thread

not the mod thread

Posted

If you felt we were being mislead, why didn't you post you thoughts and forecast in here? It's all very good to come in here and gloat after the event when you didn't even bother to post your thoughts and opinions on the out put of the models!

Posted

Well the tv program that was on tonight was about the 2010 snow storm which from what I gathered was a warm weather system coming up through France and meeting cold air over the uk,I know the set up is different but it could be quite some snow storm...if it hits as predicted.

Posted

Yes back to the snow......fantastic radar now

http://europa.buienr...nl/3daagse.aspx

Temps for tmw excellent

TT_GZ_UU_VV_021_0850.gif

No m word for any SE please..........Lets all enjoy 6 hours of heavy snowsmile.png

Now if I'm reading the radar correctly, it would appear to show 12 hours (midday to midnight) of snow tomorrow for SE!?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything even slightly exciting & less Vanilla.

To be fair to Dave I did notice a few people say a Thames Streamer set up was probable after they had viewed on a radar a clump of showers in the North Sea.

When people make these ill informed comments it can snowball (excuse the pun) and get picked up upon by novices like me.

A little knowledge is dangerous I suppose.

Posted

Is it true that in 2010 they had to close the ski slope because there was too much snow?

Sorry, not to sure i only took up skiing about 18 months ago.Late learner.Would not surprise me, i had 17 inches then. Edited by snowblues

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Temperatures refusing to go below freezing which is a tad frustrating, too much cloud cover at present, but at 0.3C no big problem, hopefully 2-5cm top up tomorrow.