• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Red for some areas within this NAE loop I reckon...

http://www.weatheron...IV=0&RES=0&WMO=

Wow - right over a few of us in Stirlingshire!!

Posted

Just doing the rounds through the regional threads, and it seems you fine folks in the east of the Land of the Kilts are in for a bit of a treat in the next 48 hours as the system pretty much grinds to a halt just to your east.

Here it is arriving on the 12z NAE:

13012106_2_2012.gif

And here it is still going out until the end of the run:

13012212_2_2012.gif

Needless to say if snow's not your thing, might be best to close the curtains now.

I would offer to help dig you all out, but having had about 5-6 inches fall here today, us big southern softies will be the ones that need rescuing!

Good luck to you all :)

SK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Worse here Allyw - Temp. now +1.7C/-1.4C (+0.3C/hour).bad.gifbad.gif

Awww No, keeping my fingers for all of us here Perth. Just noticed my DP had started to drop its now -4.5??

Edited by Allyw12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Awww No, keeping my fingers for all of us here Perth. Just noticed my DP had started to drop its now -4.5??

Yes, dewpoints seem to be getting lower in the east. Leuchars has dropped to -5C, but the air temp has gone up to 3C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Thanks snowking, much appreciated. Good to see that the last 4 or 5 winters have seen us all get some decent winter weather again. Enjoy your snaw !

Just doing the rounds through the regional threads, and it seems you fine folks in the east of the Land of the Kilts are in for a bit of a treat in the next 48 hours as the system pretty much grinds to a halt just to your east.

Here it is arriving on the 12z NAE:

13012106_2_2012.gif

And here it is still going out until the end of the run:

13012212_2_2012.gif

Needless to say if snow's not your thing, might be best to close the curtains now.

I would offer to help dig you all out, but having had about 5-6 inches fall here today, us big southern softies will be the ones that need rescuing!

Good luck to you all :)

SK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I don't think you need worry Ally. Look at Lorenzo's and SK's post above.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder any extreme weather

Been couple of snowflakes allday now snowing lightly so seems to be getting heavier, fingers crossed

Posted

Temp seems to be dropping back down after rising to 1.3C about 30 mins ago. Now at 0.8C and DP of -4.0C. I've a good feeling about the next few days (at least here in Oldmeldrum).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

This run makes even less of the warmer uppers (though I'm intrigued as to what's behind that pesky 130 line)

13012106_2018.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Exactly. The time to start worrying is when we lose favourable dew points and then we really do get into mush, sleet, rain.

Right now the DP side of things looks good.

I don't think you need worry Ally. Look at Lorenzo's and SK's post above.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

The very reason i refuse to drive in the snow.

Which can be wise, but plenty of countries get lots of snow and life just continues on.

Be properly prepared (blankets, shovel, food etc). Drive for the conditions.

Don't go out in the ice and snow with summer/all season tyres on for a start. If it is on average below 7 C, you should be running winter tyres be it for rain, dry and sunny, icy, snowy. What happened in that video (to what looked like a big jeep / 4x4) would not have happened with winter tyres. I've been on the Embra bypass and seen it; car just suddenly spun off in front of me at 60 mph (nobody hurt) yet I couldn't even feel the black ice due to the tyres.

Some of us go on about this topic, but it's for a good reason!

-0.5 C / DP = -1.8 C

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Now +1.8C and rising - super slushfest?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

This run makes even less of the warmer uppers (though I'm intrigued as to what's behind that pesky 130 line)

13012106_2018.gif

some cracking cold uppers out there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

I've also got a feeling that tomorrow will be yet another non-event.

agreed, cant help thinking the same. radar is no help at the mo, meteo seems to be just making it up as it goes along for my area, according to it i should have some snow already lol yr.no tells no snow for central until the early hours, so ill choose to believe thats more likely. charts seem to mean little at the mo also (again for my area), pretty much been consistantly wrong all week. dissapointing for sure, but thats the weather for ya! lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Now +1.8C and rising - super slushfest?

Yeah I'm not letting myself get excited about this for here *. I think it may very well be the wrong side of marginal for here. However, I am more than happy to be proved incorrect! blum.gif

*(although I am really hopeful for my fellow Kilters elsewhere good.gif )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

agreed, cant help thinking the same. radar is no help at the mo, meteo seems to be just making it up as it goes along for my area, according to it i should have some snow already lol yr.no tells no snow for central until the early hours, so ill choose to believe thats more likely. charts seem to mean little at the mo also (again for my area), pretty much been consistantly wrong all week. dissapointing for sure, but thats the weather for ya! lol

Radar has been bizarre all week. Should have had heavy showers here for the last few hours - nada!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Yeah I'm not letting myself get excited about this for here *. I think it may very well be the wrong side of marginal for here. However, I am more than happy to be proved incorrect! blum.gif

*(although I am really hopeful for my fellow Kilters elsewhere good.gif )

As long as DP is well below 0C I wouldn't be too concerned at this stage.

13012112_2018.gif

By 12pm we're back to the cold uppers on this run. More snow for central areas on this run too it would appear:

13012112_2018.gif

Posted

On the subject of radar. Aberdonians should, all being well, find out if it is working properly within the next half an hour or so. Knowing our luck it is and it will start raining LOL.

Posted

GFS moves slightly further towards the NAE too, DPs remaining below 0C with temperatures below 2C for the majority at 12pm now:

ukpaneltemp.png

Uppers still a degree or so worse than the NAE but crucially it's another movement towards the NAE:

13012112_2018.gif

Posted
  • Location: North Cumbria 160m asl overlooking the Solway coast.
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonally appropriate. Snow - not greedy - good above 1,500' fine
  • Location: North Cumbria 160m asl overlooking the Solway coast.

Got fast falling very small flakes here, not sure how long its been going but the main (A) road is going white now.

Posted

Second marginality threat very close to being seen off again on this run, virtually identical profile to the 12Z, and virtually identical in terms of snowfall potential:

13012200_2018.gif

13012200_2018.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Am I right in saying that once the front gets up as far as the Durham area, then it will join the showers running up the east coast? Those showers off the north east coast are really pepping up Doc!

Posted

The uppers were about the same on Friday morning weren't they - and that was OK, even right on the coast.