Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Sunday 20th >>

Zenarcher

Posted

Light lamppost snow in Leith but a bit of a waste of good dew points.

Same here. Every event s the same isn't it? Will it, won't it. This one is so close. Who knows for us coasters. Even slight variations in wind can make al the difference.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

I am starting to panic now LS. Sleet for Fife?

I know, feeling :bad:

Edited by Allyw12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

They're coming...

post-736-0-23770300-1358714130_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

This is a nice video combining Meteosat and NASA blue Marble imagery of the incoming fun... ramps oot !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simon_rp/8397184447/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

These events are very altitute sensitive. Folk were talking about the Feb 2001 spell earlier and comparing it with the current setup. It may look similar but I think the Scandi High and cold pool were far stronger in 2001. I remember a pool of sub 492 air over western Norway at one point. I was doon sooth in 2001 but my folks told me it was deep with deep snow drifts. And even then, Leven had next to nothing.

Edited by snow1975

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

See how the red alert went out for S. Wales a few days ago, did the corresponding images or news from there suggest it warranted a "red". ?

I'm curious because some of us are on amber and I wonder if there is something out in the N.Sea in this easterly flow which may just tip us to a red?

This is a nice video combining Meteosat and NASA blue Marble imagery of the incoming fun... ramps oot !

http://www.flickr.co..._rp/8397184447/

Oh ya beauty blink.png It looks potent!

Edited by BurntFishTrousers

Posted

I see that showers seem to be popping up out to the ENE of here way out in the N Sea in the last hour so so.

At the moment they are tracking a bit to the north as they head towards the coast but if they keep developing a bit more they could head this direction. Forecast or not?

Worth watching if you're somewhere up in the northeast possibly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Wind definitely starting to pick up, temp still 1.0/-3.9 which it's been roundabout most of the day awwww I feel :bad:

Edited by Allyw12

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Methuselah, January 20, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Methuselah, January 20, 2013 - No reason given

CAUTION when viewing this. Please take care on the roads.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4424347001724&set=vb.1080453208&type=2&theater

Posted

Looking at the category table http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/advice/

There is a very fine line between the severity ratings awarded, if you extract the bits for specifically travel disruption using the M.8 fiasco from last time.

Light Impact - Care needed with only localised travel disruption.

Medium Impact - difficult driving conditions likely and longer journey times.

High Impact - Roads likely to become impassable with high risk of drivers becoming stranded / Expect significant disruption to normal day to day life as a result of transport issues, school closures etc.

Think it would be safe to position this between potential for Medium to High Impact depending on how the system stalls and what energy it has left to deliver a truckload of snow, perhaps it will upgrade overnight once there is an even closer range idea of what it will do.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Wind definitely starting to pick up, temp still 1.0/-3.9 which it's been roundabout most of the day awwww I feel bad.gif

I wouldn't worry about that temperature profile at all, as the front kicks in the dewpoint is likely to rise a bit but as precipitation hits the temperature is likely to fall towards 0C, so I'd say you're pretty well placed at the moment. Given we're usually dealing with going from clear skies to cloud cover which raises the temperature in itself we shouldn't see too much upward forcing of temperatures initially.

Posted

Drove from Glenshee to Moffat between 4.30-7.30, dry snow falling down to Fife, despite air temps being as high as 2 C but then rain falling Edinburgh & south with air temps as low as -2.5C, well inland and at altitude above 1,000 feet. That suggests a significant mild sector in the upper air just now which I hope it gets blown away soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

True, true...

Twitching because I can see a bit more street melting going on here...but which is being compensated for visible drying out patches as the +ve air temp and the -ve dew points do that melting/drying/sublimation kinda thing.

Guess its just an indication also that we're not in one of the classic easterlys...the great (rare) ones have hit the east coast with real zero air temps. Guess we make the best of the one we've got and we'll judge by the end of the week where this one stands in our collective experience!

I would rather have seen sub zero temperatures before it but actually it was a similar story on Thursday evening into Friday and that worked out well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Just had a sharp shower of larger snow pellets. Seems to be convection ahead of the frontal stuff. I haven't seen a single snowflake all day!

Current, 0.7C

Posted

I see that showers seem to be popping up out to the ENE of here way out in the N Sea in the last hour so so.

At the moment they are tracking a bit to the north as they head towards the coast but if they keep developing a bit more they could head this direction. Forecast or not?

Worth watching if you're somewhere up in the northeast possibly.

Yup, keeping an eye on that too Doc. There are some echos now appearing and if they develop in similar way then there path will be somewhere over us. Fingers crossed, likewise with tomorrow - temps are okay, a little heigh but the same a Monday I think and Friday/Saturday (not that that meant anything!) but dp's are way low and look like they are staying on the right side. Hopefully wind is less strong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Yeah I would have liked more frost in the ground than we have - grounds a bit chewy rather than brick hard here.

But anyway, a shallow layer of cold frosty surface air would quickly have got moved on anyway by clouds limiting radiation, wind picking up etc etc

For all us coasties we go with what we've got and hope for the best !

I wouldn't worry about that temperature profile at all, as the front kicks in the dewpoint is likely to rise a bit but as precipitation hits the temperature is likely to fall towards 0C, so I'd say you're pretty well placed at the moment. Given we're usually dealing with going from clear skies to cloud cover which raises the temperature in itself we shouldn't see too much upward forcing of temperatures initially.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Wind definitely starting to pick up, temp still 1.0/-3.9 which it's been roundabout most of the day awwww I feel bad.gif

Worse here Allyw - Temp. now +1.7C/-1.4C (+0.3C/hour).bad.gifbad.gif

Posted

Latest hi-res shows action all the way up the English east coast with what looks like snow streamers about to join the party later tonight. Could be very tasty!

post-18389-0-69467400-1358716503_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Has been snowing quite steadily here for about 10mins now (flakes) Temp dropped slightly from 1.1c to 0.8c/ENE. Dewpoint up a bit though to -2.3c but it has been fluctuating madly all day so not too worried.

Edited by Blitzen

Posted