Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Sunday 20th >>

Zenarcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Lol, broke the front in halflaugh.png

In meteorological terms it's called "the irn-bru effect". rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

The radar is showing some very strange things for the front down south, seems to be glitching a bit.

At least it is now North of The Wash - shame it took it four hours! rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Still flurrying away here. Would be happier if the temps dropped below 1.1c though as that's where they have been sitting all day here. Dewpoint fine at -2.8c wind E veering ENE at times.

ENE is better than ESE, i wish it would stay there tomorrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Steady light snow here just now, wonder if NAE 18z will give us another upgrade in terms of uppers, surface charts are positioned well, that HP off of Scandi nudging south and the band tracking up into a straight easterly flow.

NMM updated earlier this afternoon, should have looked at it earlier. This projected for Monday 1700. A perfect band right along the length of the M.8 after some hours of less intensive snow. Given the good accuracy of this model last time round, this looks potentially disruptive for rush hour, glad I am off and don't have to run the gauntlet like last time 5.5 hr roadblock.

post-7292-0-12557600-1358712072_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Proper snaw in iceland.

BrSv_vikurdalur_en.jpg

http://en.vedur.is/about-imo/news/nr/2612

Many avalanches – no injuries

Worst spell of snow avalances since 2005

Late dec/early jan

Posted
  • Location: North Cumbria 160m asl overlooking the Solway coast.
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonally appropriate. Snow - not greedy - good above 1,500' fine
  • Location: North Cumbria 160m asl overlooking the Solway coast.

Whatever you do, don't do this tomorrow!

article-2265333-170C49D3000005DC-240_470x423.jpg

2009-2010 the police round Alston where issuing pleas for locals not to drive round with ft of snaw (snow it being the NE) on the car roofs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Steady light snow here just now, wonder if NAE 18z will give us another upgrade in terms of uppers, surface charts are positioned well, that HP off of Scandi nudging south and the band tracking up into a straight easterly flow.

NMM updated earlier this afternoon, should have looked at it earlier. This projected for Monday 1700. A perfect band right along the length of the M.8 after some hours of less intensive snow. Given the good accuracy of this model last time round, this looks potentially disruptive for rush hour, glad I am off and don't have to run the gauntlet like last time 5.5 hr roadblock.

post-7292-0-12557600-1358712072_thumb.pn

The green area concerns me a bit, but the NMM does have a tendency to overdo the Fife 'warm sector', in fact all of Saturday it had sleet over Freuchie when in fact it was accumulating snow the whole time. That would make more sense as otherwise the map looks similar to the NAE projections and has fairly widespread snowfall. Certainly looks like my band practice in Armadale (West Lothian, not Skye) would be in jeopardy if that came off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Proper snaw in iceland.

BrSv_vikurdalur_en.jpg

http://en.vedur.is/a...mo/news/nr/2612

Many avalanches – no injuries

Worst spell of snow avalances since 2005

Late dec/early jan

Wouldn't that mean they'd put their gloves on in Inbhir-Nis?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/20/scottish-independence-becoming-only-option

Interesting read for you politik-folk, the ardent unionist/faux-labour Grauniad has published this in its comment section... now you know something's coming!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Small snowflakes [light] are still falling but the temp has gone up to today's max at 2C. I hope that is as high as it goes.

If tomorrow happens like early Feb 2001 I for one would be happy but just a half degree colder would be better as in the lower parts of the town a lot that fell was very wet and didn't accumulate like it did higher up and inland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

The green area concerns me a bit, but the NMM does have a tendency to overdo the Fife 'warm sector', in fact all of Saturday it had sleet over Freuchie when in fact it was accumulating snow the whole time. That would make more sense as otherwise the map looks similar to the NAE projections and has fairly widespread snowfall. Certainly looks like my band practice in Armadale (West Lothian, not Skye) would be in jeopardy if that came off.

NMM over-does the mild and NAE under-does it... something inbetween is probably right.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Showers still seem to be avoiding Edinburgh like the plague and hitting Fife for the moment.

NMM over-does the mild and NAE under-does it... something inbetween is probably right.

Yes, I don't see it being snow 20 miles out to sea but probably sleet for the coastal strips, moreso Fife and Angus than the Lothians, and snow for most other locations.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Giving up hope for snow in Glasgow here!

Same here, feel sick :(

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Been a cold, cloud, grey day in Grangemouth. In the daylight we had about the equivalent of one snowflake per minute but was expecting it to be dry all day anyway. Since i's got dark we've had some light snow which has made the pavements white again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Lots of 2's all the way up and down the east coast .. from NE of Scotland down as far as The Wash. Noticed that Embra Airport also recording 2 now. Not peeing myself yet as long as DP's are remaining below 0

Gonna be a long night though, I'm a bit twitchy about the event, I admit it !

Small snowflakes [light] are still falling but the temp has gone up to today's max at 2C. I hope that is as high as it goes.

If tomorrow happens like early Feb 2001 I for one would be happy but just a half degree colder would be better as in the lower parts of the town a lot that fell was very wet and didn't accumulate like it did higher up and inland.

Edited by by-tor

Posted

Evening all, glad to see everyone's having fun sledging, building snaw-mannies etc..

Our cover has remained and has gone powdery, I discovered today that it is quite uneven depths around the house, which I presume was from the wind - the Doghouse roof, which is my favoured usual measuring spot has about 5 cm, but in places in the garden there's about 8-10 cms - the doghouse is shaded a bit from the E/SE winds!!

but even with the depth it's nae good snaw for building sad.png s'okI did an Igloo in 2010 ... it's gone all powdery with the cold and we've had a fair bit of graupel since Monday too

but darnit all .. I wanted to play too - and remembered an idea I saw earlier this year that I thought might be fun to try - PT1 was fun, I only covered me and snooz.jnr in red water once!! - now I need cold to keep them, the water balloons are buried ootside... here's what they should look like when done.. if they work I've got before pictures and will take more after Wednesday or so.. depending on how cold it gets smile.png

ICE MARBLES!!

post-4683-0-53026100-1358712750_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

A few flakes here. The wind has picked up and it feels raw. Flakes are birling around in it.

0.3ºC/-3ºC

Snow still lying everywhere. Has attempted a to thaw a little bit but freezing up again tonight.

I think tonight/tomorrow's weather could be a bit special for lots of kilters.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I am starting to panic now LS. Sleet for Fife?

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny

Lots of 2's all the way up and down the east coast .. from NE of Scotland down as far as The Wash. Noticed that Embra Airport also recording 2 now. Not peeing myself yet as long as DP's are remaining below 0

Agree, I'm very nervous about this. Although Grangemouth is further inland than the likes of Edinburgh and Fife, it is still at sea level and close to the River Forth. In marginal events we usually get rain here, although we did get snow that came in from the west in December.

Posted

I am starting to panic now LS. Sleet for Fife?

Some of Fife probably at some point, but unless the 18Z NAE moves a lot I'm fairly satisfied that West Fife and most of Central and inland North Fife will see it as snow.

Posted

I would rather have seen sub zero temperatures before it but actually it was a similar story on Thursday evening into Friday and that worked out well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Some of Fife probably at some point, but unless the 18Z NAE moves a lot I'm fairly satisfied that West Fife and most of Central and inland North Fife will see it as snow.

Places like Leven and Kirkcaldy will get sleet, any snow is unlikely to settle.

Being positive, any sleet ought to turn back to snow on Tuesday as the front heads back south and the colder uppers and East winds return.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in summer!

Yay, I've got the day off tomorrow. If you get stuck, it's not my problem. 'mon the snaw :)