Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Sunday 20th >>

Zenarcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Dalkeith has the height and inland-ness to catch it. So she should definitely avoid going to the post-office for her pension tomorrow !

Not feeling very optimistic just now sad.png looking towards the 12z for some luck but I think it's more my wishful thinking.

Also can I just ask about Snow potential for Midlothian round about Dalkeith/Bonnyrigg area as my elderly aunts lives there sad.png

Posted

On the NAE this is as marginal as it gets before the end of Monday:

13012106_2012.gif

If this is really how marginal it gets before the end of Monday we're in for a treat.

What are the chances of us further west joining in with the snowfest?

Posted

On the NAE this is as marginal as it gets before the end of Monday:

13012106_2012.gif

If this is really how marginal it gets before the end of Monday we're in for a treat.

Don't need to answer this, but any thoughts on my area LS?

Posted

Day After Tomorrow springs to mind....

:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Should be snow for you, Could be a lot, though depends how much gets through from the east.

What are the chances of us further west joining in with the snowfest?

I reckon you'll get some, not easy to say how much, potential for an inch or two as far west as Glasgow perhaps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

From Sean Batty @SeanBattySTV

BBDjnAnCIAADCDm.jpg

Looking good for you guys in the east and central

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Dalkeith has the height and inland-ness to catch it. So she should definitely avoid going to the post-office for her pension tomorrow !

Thank you, she has already broken her wrist twice in 3 years so defiantly no trips to the PO :D

Posted

Should be snow for you, Could be a lot, though depends how much gets through from the east.

I reckon you'll get some, not easy to say how much, potential for an inch or two as far west as Glasgow perhaps.

Thank you LS! Think I'll be off school tomorrow even if it doesn't shut (5cm usually does the trick!), had a horrible virus the past few days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

The second marginality threat is seen off on this run:

13012203_2012.gif

Impressive totals, 4 inches for the entirety of Southern Scotland including southern bits of Edinburgh, 8-12 inches for all of Perth and shire along with inland and northern Fife, 4 inches everywhere between the central belt, the Great Glen and coastal Aberdeenshire:

13012206_2_2012.gif

And still falling:

13012206_2012.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

My Blokey lives in the very far south, over on the eastern coast of Kent, all those boiling-hot summer resorts like Margate and Ramsgate and that, complains all summer about the heat in the mid-30s of an evening...

Just told me they have a FOOT of snow and still coming down, thick and fast.

Suddenly I feel like I need a short holiday, somewhere on the coast down south... :p

Fingers crossed for tomorrow - the Norwegians are reckoning rain for Edinburgh between snow... wait and see what the lamp-post says.

Tell you one thing - we've a window facing due south and every time I've looked out in the last two days the snow's been flying horizontally past from left to right, ie straight from the East :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

The second marginality threat is seen off on this run:

13012203_2012.gif

Impressive totals, 4 inches for the entirety of Southern Scotland including southern bits of Edinburgh, 8-12 inches for all of Perth and shire along with inland and northern Fife, 4 inches everywhere between the central belt, the Great Glen and coastal Aberdeenshire:

13012206_2_2012.gif

And still falling:

13012206_2012.gif

Good to hear about less marginality LS!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

I think my area will bloody well miss out again! We're well and truly paying for 2009/10!!

Edited by WhiteXmas

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Couple of Meteorogram, try saying that after a few, from Edinburgh and Dyce for the next 42 hrs. Mapped in the upper air temps to get an idea of any marginality issues or warmer layers.

Produced from the GFS run, so not as hi-res as NAE but does give insight into chosen layers versus the restricted choices on Wx Online NAE. Link

Good to see NAE already has things colder at that sleety mix out level.

post-7292-0-38276900-1358695628_thumb.gi post-7292-0-26544900-1358695633_thumb.gi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Look at where I live it shows nothing lol rofl.gif

13012206_2_2012.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

My Blokey lives in the very far south, over on the eastern coast of Kent, all those boiling-hot summer resorts like Margate and Ramsgate and that, complains all summer about the heat in the mid-30s of an evening...

Yes, I can definitely second that! We were down there 2 years ago (as we are most years) and it was boiling. Felt as if I was abroad. Especially as it was so cold up here that summer. It can get very cold too in a continental airflow.

Posted

I think my area will bloody well miss out again! We're well and truly paying for 2009/10!!

I feel your pain. My location is the in-between pinky colour shown on the map, i.e. in-between the dark and light pink. However, I am not pinning my hopes on it.

Posted

Great minds think alike Scotster! Hopped up to Balerno last Sunday when it was damp light wouldnae-lie totally innefective snaw down here. Up there ... top end of Balerno - a different world. The 44 bus can transport you into another climatic zone just as you say.

Bottom line, I'm no gonnae greet if Leith is a damp slush-fest the morn - because even if it is, then the southern/inland/higher parts of Embra will be getting pasted !

Excellent point. After that wonderful Red snow warning event in Edinburgh in March 2010 there was nothing left in Gorgie by the morning, but I hopped on the 44 at Slateford Rd........travelled 25 minutes to Balerno......got off at the end of the reservoir road, put the snowshoes on and then had a deliriously sunny and snowy walk up to East Cairn and back.

It was another world. Enormous drifts, the vegetation and scrub was covered, and because it was all wind-blown it held my weight walking on top of the heather when usually you'd step through big heathery chasms. I even encountered one of the farmers from the south of the Pentlands on his snowmobile, looking for his sheep to dig them out.

Back to the bus stop, snowshoes tied to my rucksack......and 20 mins back to Gorgie. Sat at home that evening with a bronzed face, in a state of wonder at how I could have an arctic-like day in the hills via an Edinburgh bus. Amazing ease of access when the snow is down. Edinburgh's buses are wonderful. Who needs trams? Pah! (but that's another story wink.png )

Edited by by-tor

Posted

Before LS even jumps in... Penicuik is a shoe-in for snaw tomorow. Ticks every box.

I am fairly confident Penicuik should have a all snow event, should be far enough inland and 180m asl should help. LS what do u think mate?

Posted

Tomas Schafernaker just mentioned mild air toppling over the UK on Thursday and Friday. Things becoming more marginal for snow by then?http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/21109995

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

wee snow shower here just really fine stuff though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Tuesday looking increasingly interesting followed by GFS out to here and Scotland retains cold uppers.

post-7292-0-03543300-1358696947_thumb.pn