Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Sunday 20th >>

Zenarcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I'm just a mile down the road from you in Chambers Street, been heavy the last while and slushing up on the window ledge.

You have a wee bit more height and should work out better there ... but basically would need to keep things at this intensity for quite a while to even start to usefully accumulate this claggy stuff.

A glance at the radar suggests we could sustain this kind of intensity for an hour or two, which would be enough I reckon to at least start on some accumulations. Very heavy here now and bigger flakes and it is starting to notably whiten on the paths and roofs and cars.

Posted

There was a covering of snow earlier in the morning so at least there was a lying snow day but that cover has all gone. It's still snowing so hardly a non-event but it has failed to bring a depth of snow of at least a cm that would stay on the ground for a while. The snow is too light and too wet to settle, nevertheless it's nice to see the snowfalling. I'm hoping for the temperature to drop and for the snow to get heavier this evening but I would bet against lying snow here. After that then I hope to enjoy the last few days of the cold spell, hoping for some snow in the coming days and fingers-crossed for a snowy breakdown. Then it's all up to whether we see heights over Greenland bringing a better spell for snow. If you've got snow today, enjoy it and I'm glad to hear that it's been a very good event for Catch.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

More Satellite action this time from 13:03, hope the version for tomorrow lunchtime shows a whiter looking version of Scotland

post-7292-0-71581900-1358777310_thumb.jp

The image is credited to us "NERC Satellite Receiving Station, Dundee University, Scotland" http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/

Much heavier here now, blowing horizontal snaw. Magic.

Edited by lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Perthites its really been heavy for a while now and getting heavier.... is it sticking in the suburbs!!

i know it is in luncarty :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Christ we are nowcasting street by street in Embra, talk about marginal !

Update from central-southish Edinburgh - what I would term as a dusting lying on non-saturated surfaces.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

just been out in the car, 0 degrees, very windy, heavy snow - and still not sticking. i get the feeling this level of fall wont be sustained much longer and the grounds just not being very accepting at all

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

All you Doom Seekers and Nay Sayers can brighten up a bit - just been out in Suburban south Embra, walked all round Blackford, up Morningside, round Bruntsfield and IT IS SETTLING!

Properly settling, I mean, on everything.

Parked cars turning white - cobbles turning white round the edges - even pavements that were just plain wet when I set off are now grainy with a speckly slush which is a helluvan achievement if you ask me, well done the snaw!

THERE IS HOPE!!!!! :D

Update from central-southish Edinburgh - what I would term as a dusting lying on non-saturated surfaces.

More than a dusting lying on saturated surfaces, imo! :)

Posted

Edinburgh SW update - now settling on all surfaces wink.png

Nothing settling in South Gyle yet but getting heavier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Perthites its really been heavy for a while now and getting heavier.... is it sticking in the suburbs!!

i know it is in luncarty smile.png

Yes - but don't tell it! Don't want to spook it! ph34r.png

(it's sticking well to anything damp, still not doing overly well on very damp puddle covered clear tarmac)

Edited by over_the_rainbow

Posted

Well.... the powers that be haven't seen fit to grant us any lying snow yet... certainly here in the town.. am going up the hill shortly so maybe some more up there smile.png

Tim

pavements are just wet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

+++++BREAKING NEWS+++++BREAKING NEWS++++++

post-736-0-11425300-1358777776_thumb.jpg

Posted

All you Doom Seekers and Nay Sayers can brighten up a bit - just been out in Suburban south Embra, walked all round Blackford, up Morningside, round Bruntsfield and IT IS SETTLING!

Parked cars turning white - cobbles turning white round the edges - even pavements that were just plain wet when I set off are now grainy with a speckly slush which is a helluvan achievement if you ask me, well done the snaw!

THERE IS HOPE!!!!! biggrin.png

More than a dusting lying on saturated surfaces, imo! smile.png

I am glad to hear it's improving for you and there is more hope for some but it will take a miracle for there to be lying snow here by the end of the day.

Posted

Not a single flake settling here... what little was on the roofs etc. is pretty much gone now too!!

Hill does look much better though!

Posted

THERE IS HOPE!!!!! biggrin.png

More than a dusting lying on saturated surfaces, imo! smile.png

Wonderful, though you are marginally further south but it is starting to do rather well here too, rapid whitening of all surfaces, grass covered, car park getting covered, and still very heavy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Christ we are nowcasting street by street in Embra, talk about marginal !

genius.... ya ken its a crazy event when it gets to that.....much as many of us are disappointed by today I do feel this is an event we will discuss for many years and learn from....this is a bizarre setup.... lows travelling up the country...atlantic well blocked but no real country wide deep frosts or significant snow in many areas (SS CMD excepted) and areas getting snowed in today whilst others streets away have nothing and yet we could all end up with significant snow by the time wake up tomorrow...............

crazy interesting times as the snaw stops again in Perth just as thought had cracked it lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Right, come on, own up, who's built a precipitation barrier on the East coast around Forfar & Arbroath? That band of precipitation just doesn't want to move North of there, been stuck for at least 2hrs now! We've got an Amber warning for areas West of Aberdeen that I'm sure just about covers my house, yet so far what has probably fallen wouldn't make a single snowball.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Solution found to Weegie/Central Belt/snowless Kilters snowshield:

post-736-0-34221000-1358777979_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Yep Blizzard in old Reekie:

1234775339-Weather-Edinburgh-Castle-Esplanade-New-Town.jpg