Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Sunday 20th >>

Zenarcher

Posted

All the heavier ppn is sticking closer to the coast it seems. Tranent has about 3 inches this morning apparently. Could do with that over here. Some heavy snow showing on the bypass cams - especially Straiton.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

well there is a pulse due to hit here just after midday so hopefully that produces and meto just warned to expect it to snow in many eastern areas till tomorrow afternoon....

That forecast would be spot on if they changed the SNOW to SLEET! in many eastern areas till tomorrow afternoon!laugh.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Mesoscales had the heaviest stuff moving up this afternoon into rush hour so still time for things to go our way. NMM had major snow risk with better uppers tomorrow too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Get yer bags packed for the border SS.

Another Kilter has already confessed to attending a ceremony at your home where there was frenzied Morris Dancing, Jellied Eels and a chorus of Rule Brittania. The net is closing...

Already picked the soundtrack for me vid.

Blawin a hoolie and snawin like f3ck.

The picnic bench is protected by a pack of hungry wolves....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Ninja Snowph34r.png now reaching Ground level and settling..

post-7292-0-84564400-1358769943_thumb.jp

Edit : Back to doing it's Ninja thing againwallbash.gif

Edited by lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

good news for Aberdeenshire and angus...potentially not sounding good for next weekend sledging unless we have a decent amount on the ground of course smile.png

Here’s a further update on the weather for the next few days.

As mentioned in the earlier update, the snow is creeping northwards rather more slowly than we were expecting yesterday and it has spread further west than expected but it is now starting to intensify in places and cause a few problems in the Borders. The general story is still for some widespread snow across many parts of the country apart from the far north. The snow is expected to be persistent through today in many places with steady build up of snow as we go through the day. Strong easterly winds will cause drifting and there is the potential for some ice accretion on power lines. The snow is expected to persist into the night and, in the northeast, particularly areas around Angus and Aberdeenshire, well in to Tuesday. By the time we get to Tuesday night and into Wednesday, snow becomes less of a problem but the cold temperatures will mean ice becomes the major issue.

As usual warnings are being updated this morning and some have been done already.

For today (Monday)

A YELLOW (Be Aware) warning, first issued yesterday was updated earlier and now covers pretty well all of Scotland south of the Great Glen. General amounts of snow expected are 2-5cm by the end of the day with the potential for 10cm on higher ground. This warning runs through until midnight tonight.

Embedded within this YELLOW area are two AMBER (Be Prepared) warnings.

One covering the Borders was updated earlier today to include the higher parts of Mid-and East Lothian south of Edinburgh. We are still expecting between 10 and 20cm of snow to build up (on untreated surfaces) in this AMBER area with drifting in the strong easterly winds. This warning will run until 2100 this evening and, while it will still be snowing in this area for a time after this, things should be slowly improving, so the AMBER will be superseded by the wider YELLOW.

The second AMBER area covers parts of Stirling, Perth & Kinross, Angus, Aberdeenshire and into Moray. Again, 10 to 20 cm accumulation of snow is possible in this AMBER area with drifting in the strong easterly winds. Snow will continue here well into Tuesday and so, this AMBER snow warning has just been updated and has been extended in time (but with a similar area) and will last out until about 1500 on Tuesday afternoon, by which time things should be improving.

So, warnings for Tuesday will include an AMBER snow warning as described above and this will be embedded in a wider YELLOW snow warning covering much of the eastern side of Scotland and warning of a further 2-5cm with perhaps another 10cm on higher ground.

In addition to the above there will be some YELLOW ice warnings for much of Dumfries and Galloway tonight (Monday into Tuesday) and again for many areas, especially the east, for Tuesday into Wednesday. Thereafter, snow showers should largely die out on Wednesday and Thursday and there are then signs that some less cold weather spreads for a time over the weekend.

Edited by edodfc

Posted

Pretty much been snowing for 7 hours now. Total accumulation = -1cm with grass becoming uncovered. Never really seen snow melt snow before.

Posted

I am 1 very frustrated person today. Snow was lying thick and fast this morning at about quarter to 7 (and was blowing around in strong winds) I wake up at half 9 again and low and behold cover mostly gone :( It's last sunday allover again here ARGH (And only a slight covering remains on the grass despite the snow falling)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

I don't mind saying.....I'm in snow heaven just now :)

Even when the snow gets light there's so much stuff blowing around up here it may as well be snowing heavily. Flippin' great big clouds of it sweeping across the fields and over the stone dykes. Poor wee birds though. Looking rather forlorn out there.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Ninja Snowph34r.png now reaching Ground level and settling..

post-7292-0-84564400-1358769943_thumb.jp

Edit : Back to doing it's Ninja thing againwallbash.gif

Frustrating. Light snow on in Glasgow. This is more like spring snow than a snow event. Surely after midday we will all get something!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Still snowing constantly here but its not lying at all. Such a shame, hoping for the colder temps later and at least something lying.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Wierd thing with the updated Met Office warnings is that on Tue the Amber area isn't completely surrounded by a Yellow. Maybe the Yellow hasn't been updated yet.

Anyone else having trouble with the Traffic Scotland website this morning, seems very slow to me?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather!

I don't think I've ever seen this before. We've had 4 hours of "proper" snow and none of it lying! (with the exception of the few mm we've accumulated over the last week unsure.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

All the heavier ppn is sticking closer to the coast it seems. Tranent has about 3 inches this morning apparently. Could do with that over here. Some heavy snow showing on the bypass cams - especially Straiton.

Tranent has no lying snow on the roads at all, it was snowing heavily though and by all accounts its the same over most of e. lothian till you reach higher ground int he lammermuirs

Posted

Tranent has no lying snow on the roads at all, it was snowing heavily though and by all accounts its the same over most of e. lothian till you reach higher ground int he lammermuirs

Boss's wife's a liar then! I'm off to confront him! Nothing worse in a marginal situation than people making stuff up biggrin.png

Edited by 101_North

Posted

NAE 06z accumulations by this evening.

post-7292-0-37652400-1358770831_thumb.gi

NMM GIF collation until 2100 shows some areas doing very well and others in line for a snowfest after 1800hrs. Hopefully that perfect channel of green displaying a sleety mix across the Central Belt corridor verifies slightly differently.

post-7292-0-26231900-1358770860_thumb.gi

Temperature and dewpoints on the 1200 surface plot either slighty above 0 degrees or just below, knife edge stuff. Temps will begin to fall back again after 1330-1400 which should improve chances again.

post-7292-0-04874300-1358771280_thumb.gi

Edi here and other weather stations available by scrolling down and clicking on the map to keep an eye on the temps.

Edited by lorenzo

Posted

Exactly as I expected, wet, messy, rubbish. It has been far too warm since Friday over a large part of the country, I think people were being a bit too hopeful.

Posted

Hey fellow radar watchers - have been in meetings all day at work so have missed everything..all I know is that it's freezing in Glasgow...

How's it looking for my back garden this afternoon/tonight ?

Posted

New Hi Res Satellite from 12:06 is a peach.. Here it is up close.

post-7292-0-81454400-1358771861_thumb.jp

It's snowing just now but think I am getting more excited about potential rampede later..

Will try and get pics uploaded via mobile later. Not sure you want to see them though?Can't believe it is to keep going? Surely it is going off here soon?

Posted

Hey fellow radar watchers - have been in meetings all day at work so have missed everything..all I know is that it's freezing in Glasgow...

How's it looking for my back garden this afternoon/tonight ?

I still think you look lke you should get a couple of inches or so especiall after 2 as said above when temps lower....dare i say getting heavier here and looking very windy...its blowing horizontal....

still clinging to lorenzo and batty boy with my hopescale at 5/10

Posted

Just spoke to the nursery to tell them wee sl2 won't be in today. Teacher says they've just had a message from the council:meto have sent a red warning for later on tonight so I've to watch on fb to see if nursery is open tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Proper snow here for the past hour. Its settling too. 4.5cm at 09hr.

Went to Asda Kirkcaldy after 09hr....wet snow in coastal/low lying areas like Windygates and Methilhill, and its not lying here. A slushy thin cover in Kirkcaldy. After returning home, i went a walk up into my local hills at 200+masl. God its wild up there...the snow grains were stinging my face and would strip paint off yir car. Snowdrifts up to the top of ma Wellies and blowing snow as well.

Edited by snow1975

Posted

New Hi Res Satellite from 12:06 is a peach.. Here it is up close.

post-7292-0-81454400-1358771861_thumb.jp

It's snowing just now but think I am getting more excited about potential rampede later..

how much later...hows your satellite pic to land time estimations these days :)

Posted

Temp falling at Dyce according to Met Office observations. I work right near the coast and the sea is very rough. Foam blowing across the road this morning. Looking forward to returning home later to a much snowier Oldmeldrum.