Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincs Regional Discussion 21/01/13 06z Onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Seen no plows, a car was stuck on our road but they managed to get up. First time I've seen a car get stuck on our road.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

There's an awful lot of water to melt, and quite quickly by the looks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Sleet's turned to rain - no idea why, snow to the south and north of us. You couldn't make it up.

Posted

Its pretty much sleet here now aswell, Im right next to the Humber , so it might still be just about snow at home but I wont know until morning.

Temperature at home 0.8C with a dewpoint of 0.1C so getting pretty marginal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Here's the back street taken 15 mins ago:

321041_10151439143129083_1432143472_n.jpg

My webcam shows the front:

http://www.easyfreewebcam.com/cam/stephen/

Edited by Stelmer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in Winter!

Quite heavy medium size flakes here and has been for good 15mins, temp -0.8c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Strange how marginality affects different locations in different events- I'm at -0.6C with everything having fallen as snow so far, and some areas of the region are marginal and are seeing sleet/rain mixes. Yet some of those same areas had a sizeable top-up of their snow cover during last Sunday night's frontal event with temperatures close to or just below freezing while I was stuck up at +1C for most of the night on that occasion with no significant accumulations.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

the funny radar images are very annoying arent they! ive never known it do that before (im using the met office website) so many straight or sharp lines around, its hard to make out whats happening, why is it doing that?

Its difficult to judge how much more there is to come, plenty of blues still out to the west heading our way, but with the strange echos and seemingly miss-matches in colour and intensity its frustrating haha!

Posted

Amazing that scenes like this only get a yellow alert from the Met Office. If this had have been London it would be worldwide news!

post-9064-0-99031600-1359160860_thumb.pn

Edited by jackst01

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Well, looks like I was wrong and the M62 stayed open, even if only one lane each way. The M6 on the other hand..............

post-2239-0-95352600-1359160914_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Events

Strange how marginality affects different locations in different events- I'm at -0.6C with everything having fallen as snow so far, and some areas of the region are marginal and are seeing sleet/rain mixes. Yet some of those same areas had a sizeable top-up of their snow cover during last Sunday night's frontal event with temperatures close to or just below freezing while I was stuck up at +1C for most of the night on that occasion with no significant accumulations.

I'm only about ten miles away from you in Osmotherley and we did ok out of last Sundays event into Monday. Some of the drifts up on the moors were amazing, just hope I get a chance to go for a walk tomorrow and take some pics of them with this top up. Amazing the difference a little elevation can give you!

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL

Still coming down well here, enough to make visibility poor, i can just make out the amber flashing lights of the plough gritter on top of the

hill crawling (crawling for a gritter driver anyway) .along Halifax Road.

Wheelie bins got plenty on top, i cleared the old snow off earlier so i can get an accurate fresh snow reading, its looking a good 6inch so far

and theres still no let up in intensity and flake size is increasing again.

Theres a serious amount of snow cover here, most of last weeks snow is still on the fields, its only the roads and parts of the paths that were clear

and now with this load on top its going to be interesting as to what happens with the river, works was already flooded out in July and theres a great possibility

it could be again.

Posted

Back to proper snow here too and very heavy indeed. It cant seem to make its mind up what it wants to fall as at the moment!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Snow intensity has increased to moderate-heavy again- I can't tell what's coming up on the radar because of the glitch over West Yorkshire so everything is a bit of a surprise at the moment. Temp has crept up but only to -0.5.

Posted

Still moderate snow here it's clear the radar is dodgy as there's a square shape over N England.

Edited by Cheese Rice