Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 21st January 2103, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Had a quick shifty into the MOD....It appears some are questioning if this breakdown will come off as predicted? Interesting, but I am far too exhausted with this last let down that I don't think I could cope with another this soon!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Had a quick shifty into the MOD....It appears some are questioning if this breakdown will come off as predicted? Interesting, but I am far too exhausted with this last let down that I don't think I could cope with another this soon!

I doubt it will come off as predicted, but that of course doesn't mean it won't come off. Vortex energy afterwards is likely to be toned down a bit though with the tendency to have more disruption, less mild temperatures and a quicker build of heights to the west towards Greenland IMO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.

What's annoyed me in this spell was not so much that coastal locations like Leith and Crail ended up with not very much if any at all but at how poorly usually fairly middling locations like Perth, inland Fife, West Lothian, Falkirk etc. did compared to bits of Midlothian, Angus, Perthshire etc. From almost any location south of the Great Glen you're probably no more than half an hour away from a giant snow drift and for many less than that, but there was a very sharp cut off basically based on what locations managed to see sustained lying through that hairy period yesterday morning. As much as I'm grateful we saw any lying snow at all, and as well as SS and CMD along with Scotster and a lot of the Perthshire and Aberdeenshire contingent have done, I just feel like it was a monumental waste of an opportunity at proper countrywide blizzards. Anyway, I certainly don't think winter is done with us yet, or even after whatever happens on Friday - last year the biggest snowfall for many of us fell in April, and in a not insignificant number of winters in my lifetime March has actually provided us with the best snowfall, so of course we all realise that this latitude is easily capable of sustaining cold well into meteorological spring (sub -20C minima have been recorded in March before). February at the moment has the potential to be very impressive, once the Canadian vortex energy passes through, so I reckon those of us who missed out on the real deal yesterday will still have more bites of the cherry left.

Similar story here in the north east. I have around 20cm of wet compacted snow (although it is starting to freeze) but places just to the west have a lot more and places just to the west have a lot less. This cold spell has been very marginal here and it seems like a similar story north of the border.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Similar story here in the north east. I have around 20cm of wet compacted snow (although it is starting to freeze) but places just to the west have a lot more and places just to the west have a lot less. This cold spell has been very marginal here and it seems like a similar story north of the border.

I think the wind had something to do with it, bringing marginality that bit further inland. 8 inches is pretty good going though, I'd kill for that at the moment, wet or not!

Posted

I think the wind had something to do with it, bringing marginality that bit further inland. 8 inches is pretty good going though, I'd kill for that at the moment, wet or not!

We would have had a lot more but the precipitation yesterday was a rain, sleet and snow mix. It has been a snowy spell of weather here but not a very cold one.

If your in the right spot in marginal situations you can end up with some big accumalations as has been shown with the snow some parts of Scotland have received today. I was in Aviemore on the 26th Feb 2010 when a marginal situation dumped around 2ft of snow.

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Light rain this morning then light rain on and off this evening but dry cloudy and cold most of the day. The only snow that we've had on the ground is possibly 1cm on Friday night and then just enough to make the ground white on Saturday night. Was hoping for a bit better over the last 2days although I was wary that it could be sleet. I suppose I've done a little better than some in the west so can't complain too much.

Posted

Looking at the latest GFS outputs and the opinion of some in the Strat thread I have the feeling that the mountains of Scotland will see no real thaw. Low pressure systems look as though they will pass to the south of the UK keeping northern Scotland in cool or colder conditions with the chance of a northerly airflow occuring as we head into February. The ski resorts should see good conditions continuing for the forseeable future which I hope to sample acute.gif

Posted

Another cold day here and it seems like some of the coldest temperatures of the spell may occur during the coming days. The breakdown will occur on Friday, there could be a snowfall to come with it but with the way that this cold spell has been, we can only be sure of what will happen until it actually arrives. Not an easy situation for forecasting beyond Friday. There could be some heavy rain and strong winds depending on the position and track of depressions, we may stay relatively cool with with the possibility of upper air temperatures below 0C but there should be at least a spell of much milder temperatures under the warm sector, especially during next week. We can't tell how mild, wet, windy it will be and nor can we tell what sort of synoptics we'll have in Europe and in other influential parts of the NH. I remain hopefull of HLB over Greenland into February and some of the signs are looking good but it could easily turn out differently. My current perspective on things, is that we'll enter a less cold and much changeable period from the weekend and for much of next week but it will be a tricky period as the synoptics re-adjust following the current pattern we are now in. The model outlook would consequently remain messy and variable for a while. But I believe that as time goes by we'll see the models toying with various evolutions as the northern hemispheric pattern corresponing with the SSW effects on the troposphere will become more established, and into February, if all goes well, we'll end up with a favourable set-up to HLB. It's all early days, but the potential is there for February. Personally, I'd love to see high pressure sat right over Greenland allowing for possibly a more significant and enjoyable cold spell than the current one - and if that were to happen, then it could be quite something. We are overdue a notably cold and snowy February and some of us are overdue another decent or significant snow event. There are no certainties, and we could still get something out of February without prolonged HLB. And luckily for us, our prospects for wintry weather extends well into Spring. But despite how frustrating this spell has been for a decent snowfall, I'm glad that this isn't the same sort of situation we would have been 6 years ago, with a decent snowfall already in the bag in early December, some decent cold spells aswell then it's all up to February delivering a snowfall to remember and enough cold temperatures to have a below average overall winter temperature.

Posted

We would have had a lot more but the precipitation yesterday was a rain, sleet and snow mix. It has been a snowy spell of weather here but not a very cold one.

If your in the right spot in marginal situations you can end up with some big accumalations as has been shown with the snow some parts of Scotland have received today. I was in Aviemore on the 26th Feb 2010 when a marginal situation dumped around 2ft of snow.

Don't remind me of that hideous affair, a cm or two in the morning then it turned to sleet and rain and never turned back. I agree with that assessment of the spell here too, not a very sunny one either, two big marginal frontal events, one last weekend and the other one yesterday into today, alongside a period of cold but not exceptionally so east-southeasterlies. I suppose, given that for the entire period the airmass was continental rather than Arctic, that we arguably maxed out the cold and snow potential from it, certainly when you compare it with the utter garbage spell (here at least) around late January-early February last year.

Posted

Been in the lake district since Monday . Lovly snow on arrival. Today I knew nothing was forecast snow rise my o my did we get a dumping was glad when it stopped as I have to drive home tomorrow ha

Posted

Don't remind me of that hideous affair, a cm or two in the morning then it turned to sleet and rain and never turned back. I agree with that assessment of the spell here too, not a very sunny one either, two big marginal frontal events, one last weekend and the other one yesterday into today, alongside a period of cold but not exceptionally so east-southeasterlies. I suppose, given that for the entire period the airmass was continental rather than Arctic, that we arguably maxed out the cold and snow potential from it, certainly when you compare it with the utter garbage spell (here at least) around late January-early February last year.

I suppose it's a case of 'what could have been' here. Higher area's of my region have been absoluely hammered but even here where there is around 20cm we have more snow than at anytime since Dec 2010 so I can't really moan.

Posted

Hey LS, somewhat OT but I see that Edinburgh Uni has climbed to 8th place in this UK wide league table.

http://www.scotsman....ation-1-2752192

shok.gifohmy.pngblink.pngw00t.gifblush.pngrolleyes.gif

Impressive stuff, I'm not sure the school of Physics contributed much to that success though laugh.png

I wonder if there are equivalent male statistics regarding promiscuous females offering themselves online, I hear there are many of them within a four mile radius...

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Ruzzi, January 23, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Ruzzi, January 23, 2013 - No reason given

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_annotate?v=h7qAVzc00w8

Well this was the fiesta today continuing to be rubbish in 3 inches of snow on almost level ground.

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Ruzzi, January 23, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Ruzzi, January 23, 2013 - No reason given

Well this was the fiesta today continuing to be rubbish in 3 inches of snow on almost level ground

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_annotate?v=h7qAVzc00w8

Posted

Well this was the fiesta today continuing to be rubbish in 3 inches of snow on almost level ground

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

In the name of the wee man, is there anything left for these numpties to screw up... http://www.scotsman....under-1-2749013

The City Council would have been better issuing the denizens of Embra with one of these...each (would have been cheaper!):

post-736-0-99028100-1358921128_thumb.jpg

Oh aye, the weather. It has finally stopped snawing raining sleeting precipitating and is now just cold, overcast and raw with a layer of thawing snaw. And it's dark.

Braw!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Talented panda - never knew they could build snowmen.

post-736-0-69084300-1358921749_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

well the few cms of snow and slush is now all beautiful crisp snow with a fresh covering of perfectly dry snow.....sledging conditions on the luncarty piste should be exceptional :)

ok so i wasted 90 minutes claring snow and slush and ice last night ..................... bothered :)

Posted

Interesting...yr.no has my area - though I've checked Glasgow and it's pretty much the same, as ice days today and tomorrow, with a 24hr snow spell on Friday.

Normally, I'd laugh at that, however, they've been pretty much on the money over the last wee while..

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Scotland/Stirling/

Posted

I quite like the look of he model suite this morning for the potential of renewed cold after a little bit less cold after this weekend.

I've got a feeling this winter has some way to go.

Edited by Blizzardo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Crisp -1.3 C here. A few light flakes falling.

Quality. It's like the exact opposite of my videos! Helps bring balance to the thread.wink.png

Have you tried just gently lifting the clutch in 1st without touching the accelerator? You should be able to crawl along at 5 mph and reduce wheel spin, but with those tyres yer still generally screwed.smile.png

Edited by scottish skier