Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion 22/01/13 16z ----->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Hi Mark, yes I agree reg frontal snow, I live near Middleton by Youlgreave which is a little higher elevation not Wirksworth. Must be around 5inch of fresh snow now on top of the old 20cm.. very heavy snow!

Ah i see, i thought you lived near Wirksworth.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Ha Ha latest BBC forecast are predicting snow across all of the E Midlands into the night!

Don't these fools even bother to check local reports, conditions before making these forecasts. This happens because these days of over dependence on computer models means they ignore the basics of nowcasting.

You not got snow anymore Dave?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

1.5. Here now this is ridiculous how could they get it so wrong! This has got to be the biggest let down yet!

Posted

Very bizarre night... Had about twenty mins of very large flakes covering every surface.. It appears you need heavy precipitation to get favourable conditions!

Posted

strange as we have had an ice storm in loughborough, snow intermingled with ice crytals, the sleet/snow,freezing as it falls, the canal has filled with slush in the last 1/2 hour

Yeah, it was weird wasn't it. Shame it's hammering it down with rain now! sorry.gif

Posted

1.5. Here now this is ridiculous how could they get it so wrong! This has got to be the biggest let down yet!

Don't mean to blow my own trumpet, but I did warn against what the NAE and UKMO were ramping up for us last night. I did get shot down a bit for my views on that as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

Some of us need to work outside! Happy with the outcome, the sooner life is greener, the better!

However, still waiting on a great beast from the east!!, there`s still another month, this year!!

Currently, fairy snow and small hail.

One day in my lifetime, the beast will return and I will live off my savings.... Until then, I need to work!

Big up to Derbyshire for your whiteout!!!

Posted

Huge mega chunky snowflakes settling. However it sounds like it's raining when it's NOT!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

it's all very well these locations at altitude saying they have heavy snow. The BBC forecast made it sound like 'low level' places were going to see heavy snow too. Most of the population live at low level altitude

Posted

Don't mean to blow my own trumpet, but I did warn against what the NAE and UKMO were ramping up for us last night. I did get shot down a bit for my views on that as well.

U were right Andy. I am really gutted about this. I wanted to see heavy snow fall. The cold spell has been good, but it has been mostly long periods of light snow and the forecast of low tempatures have just not materialised!

Posted

Well snowing hard in Nottingham city centre.. Settling.. No altitude at all

Though clearly situation has been very complicated and not as depicted by BBC graphics for region

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

Only a few miles up road here in Rotherham (At sea level) Snow's been absolutely pounding down for last 3 hours.

Incredible scenes!

Posted

Still heavy snow here in bourne with a fresh inch covering since nine ish. Temp crept up to 0.0 though from -0.4

post-4276-0-29635100-1359154854_thumb.jp

Edited by dapick2002

Posted

The weather is so weird tonight. Been chucking it down with ice and has just started raining, whilst it is snowing in Nottingham. How annoying.

Posted

The weather is so weird tonight. Been chucking it down with ice and has just started raining, whilst it is snowing in Nottingham. How annoying.

So that's why Polar Low hasn't posted anything then.

Posted

Even the radar seems to have fallen apart on the last update. So I hold no promise now of the sleet going back to snow.

Actually is has gone back to snow, but damaged goods now.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Ah i see, i thought you lived near Wirksworth.

No probs C, ive updated my avatar to save confusion, only the locals call it Middleton top's....smile.png Wirksworth is only around 10 miles S/E

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Radio Leicester news still forecasting heavy snow, they have just had a bloke on from the highways agency saying they hav snow ploughs on stand by as they think they will need to use them later on the ring road! Are these people serious!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Yep Andy you were right, though to be fair, NAE and UKMO had got it right for all the snow previously - so that is why I didn't pay too much attention to GFS. I never for one minute thought it wouldn't be marginal, I knew it would, but not quite as bad as this.

Posted

Radar has now nearly fizzled out for me in terms of heavy ppn. Absolutely rubbish I have just tweeted METO for an explanation!