Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion - 24th January 2013, 06z onwards

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Interesting that those in the SW thread (I have an identity crisis SW or SE?) are reporting snow ...even areas like Weston-super-mare right on the coast.

They were meant to have rain from the start with no transient snow. Looking good for snow here later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Looks like a good foot or more for the North, e midlands, wash, Shropshire etc, not too excited about down here, think the band will have weakened so am expecting no more than about 4 inches with possibly 6 or 7 over the downs

wow your very optimystic, I'm expecting very little in the way of snow, if it comes then probably 4cm would be a bit more realistic. Mind you I wouldn't mind if 4 inches did turn up.

Posted

This is where we are supposed to be at around 3PM

uk_radar_20130125_015.gif

This is where we are:

uk_radar_201301251200.gif

Is it really going to pep up THAT much in a few hours? Seems rather a lot.

EDIT: BBC also has this for 12PM (hour ago) thats where it was supposed to be, looks alot weaker.

0313.png

Hmmmm, hope not but possibly early signs that the GFS had it right with less energy further south?

Posted

4 inches in Croydon is a bit optimistic I agree by it depends how much this band intensifies, if it weakens will be lucky to get a covering but if it intensifies and the dew points are favourable never know.

But I am more confident tbh, only yesterday all the talk was snow to rain but now most of the country is going to be a snow only event so it's a fast moving situation

Interesting that those in the SW thread (I have an identity crisis SW or SE?) are reporting snow ...even areas like Weston-super-mare right on the coast.

They were meant to have rain from the start with no transient snow. Looking good for snow here later.

Thats because the first band is initially bumping into the cold air, the next band is the one that really pushes the cold air out of the way, whilst giving the north a good dumping, albeit probably melted by mid-day tomorrow. I am almost certain areas south of London are not going to get anything, maybe Watford north would be about my line for bigger possibilities. Again I don't like to be a kill joy just trying to make sure some on here don't think we will definitely get that much!

With regards to the colder air being thumped out the way by the second band this shows it.

Now:

h850t850eu.png

SIX hours later

h850t850eu.png

Edited by Weathizard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

4 inches in Croydon is a bit optimistic I agree by it depends how much this band intensifies, if it weakens will be lucky to get a covering but if it intensifies and the dew points are favourable never know.

But I am more confident tbh, only yesterday all the talk was snow to rain but now most of the country is going to be a snow only event so it's a fast moving situation

I am still digging myself out of the 1 foot snowfall that you predicted the other night! rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow, snow......... Snow

I'm going to stick my neck out and say Bexley is going to see a fair few cms (short lived granted). I have absolutely nothing to base that on.

Posted

Thats because the first band is initially bumping into the cold air, the next band is the one that really pushes the cold air out of the way, whilst giving the north a good dumping, albeit probably melted by mid-day tomorrow. I am almost certain areas south of London are not going to get anything, maybe Watford north would be about my line for bigger possibilities. Again I don't like to be a kill joy just trying to make sure some on here don't think we will definitely get that much!

I agree.

The uppers are getting higher with each hour and the dew point will soon be above freezing.

Maybe 30 minutes of wet snow/sleet but then all rain is the way I am seeing it!

Posted

Two things to remember

The weak stuff current through central England is a warm upper front - this will continue to track east and eventually fizzle out.

The heavier stuff is the stuff you see moving through Ireland now. The fronts are yet it occlude from there (currently still a seperate warm/cold front) and when these occlude, the precipitation will likely intensity, but it will always remain heavier the further north you head

SK

Posted

I agree.

The uppers are getting higher with each hour and the dew point will soon be above freezing.

Maybe 30 minutes of wet snow/sleet but then all rain is the way I am seeing it!

Then why have the ever cautious Met Office updated their yellow warning area, pushing it south to Farnham and west to Bristol;

and saying "2-4 cm is likely in the south of the yellow warning area, with 4-8 cm over some hillier areas" ?? sa

Posted

looking at the current radar and satellite images,- http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ , http://www.sat24.com/de/gb , the rain band is weakening and fragmenting, with the track of the secondary band looking like staying to the north of london. if it maintains that track and intensity, i would say that the warnings are about 50 miles too far south, with any snow/rain for our region being short lived anyway

expect nothing out of this 'event' then anything you do get will be a bonus

Posted

Two things to remember

The weak stuff current through central England is a warm upper front - this will continue to track east and eventually fizzle out.

The heavier stuff is the stuff you see moving through Ireland now. The fronts are yet it occlude from there (currently still a seperate warm/cold front) and when these occlude, the precipitation will likely intensity, but it will always remain heavier the further north you head

SK

It all looks like it is moving NE though?

Is there something in the mix that is going to drag it more E/SE?

Posted

Then why have the ever cautious Met Office updated their yellow warning area, pushing it south to Farnham and west to Bristol;

and saying "2-4 cm is likely in the south of the yellow warning area, with 4-8 cm over some hillier areas" ?? sa

Just my own opinion.

I am happy to ramp - but with a dew of 2c and uppers of -1/0c I just don't see it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Looks like a good foot or more for the North, e midlands, wash, Shropshire etc, not too excited about down here, think the band will have weakened so am expecting no more than about 4 inches with possibly 6 or 7 over the downs

HAHA you are a funny forum member tease.gifrofl.gif

Posted
  • Location: near Charing ( Mid Kent between Ashford & Maidstone )
  • Location: near Charing ( Mid Kent between Ashford & Maidstone )

temp has dropped here ( charing nr ashford kent ) in last couple of hours. Maxed out at exactly 0c and currently at -0.9c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

dont know if this has been posted, but bbc are going to keep us updated with any changes at this link below (last updated 11.55). He said they would be updating it every hour or so...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/21198520

Posted

unclear at the moment.

I reckon it will be clear in the morning - totally cleared away! rofl.gif

Posted

dont know if this has been posted, but bbc are going to keep us updated with any changes at this link below (last updated 11.55). He said they would be updating it every hour or so...

http://www.bbc.co.uk...atures/21198520

That tells me not only do they not know what will happen but also VERY cautious that could well be quite an event.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

Just as an aside the Meto 16-30 day update has changed this morning and is looks more promising for this area.......

There are large uncertainties at this forecast range, however indications are that colder than average conditions will become more likely across all parts of the UK. Northwestern parts of the UK may well see drier than average conditions on the whole. Southern and eastern parts of the UK could see average or even greater than average amounts of precipitation.

This forecast would seem to indicate High pressure to the North West and North to North Easterly winds to the East and South. In colder than average conditions in Febrauary this could well mean significant snow.

Maybe a sting in the tail of this winter yet ?

Posted

That tells me not only do they not know what will happen but also VERY cautious that could well be quite an event.

Or conversely that they don't want to over-react?

Posted

Looking at the NAE 6z for when the main band is due to arrive at midnight (ish)

850 temp profiles

13012600_2506.gif

Dew points

13012600_2506.gif

Precip accumulation over the 6hrs

13012600_2506.gif

All this to me points against snow but still somehow:

13012600_2506.gif

Rather confusing, its probably foolish of me but I don't buy this at all from the NAE, snow on SE coastal fringes with a 30mph on shore wind? Bizzare to say the least

Posted

Or conversely that they don't want to over-react?

Or under-react if there is such a thing? rofl.giftease.gif