Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion - 24th January 2013, 06z onwards

Snowangel-MK

Posted

As we're on a bit of a lull in here, I just thought I'd write a little something....

Firstly, whilst I have scored this winter (so far) fairly low on Paul S's scale, what it hasn't taken into account is the excitement factor. I'm just an enthusiast, so whilst I realise that the synoptics have been incredible, what has really made this winter so good is this forum.

The mods have all been incredible and YOU lot have been everything from informative, funny, cheerful, sarcastic to depressed and even argumentative (which I see mainly as passion) at times.

It's nice to have such a warm place to go to on a frosty day, somewhere to share my (some say irrational) love of snow and cold weather. A place where no one judges me, because you're all as nuts as I am (some of you more so......). You happily share your information, pictures and enthusiasm, and for that, I thank you!

And whilst I also appreciate this is a weather related thread, it's been nice to share some laughs and banter without getting shouted down for it.

I know we are currently awaiting some mild weather but I'm still intrigued to watch it unfold. Will the North get walloped? Will the snow make it to the South East? Will we have the heaviest snowfall that suddenly veers towards us without being forecast to? Will the rain be hammering on my window whilst the wind gusts? Who knows.....? But that is the beauty of our unpredictable British weather. This winter so far has thrown up so many surprises, I wonder how anyone doesn't have any interest in what will happen next.

So thank you to all of you for making me feel welcome, putting up with my inane questions and banter. I have been a member for a few yrs but it's really only this year that I have contributed (nonsense) to this London and SE thread. If there are any other lurkers out there (yeah, you know who you are....), I'd highly recommend you come and get involved and up the excitement factor of your winter (we still have plenty left).

A word of advice though, don't ask if it's going to snow IYBY (In Your Backyard) because that is what we have radars for. Read the fantastic posts from the experienced members and make the decision for yourself, because at the end of the day......no-one ever really knows for sure!

So bring on the wind and rain, bring on the mad change that we'll see unfold in the next 48hrs and keep smiling because who knows what we'll get next in this funny little corner we know and love as the South East. clap.gif

Very well said, Nikki - and I would totally endorse all of that.

I must admit, although I have been a member of NW for about eight years, I rarely post these days unless it is on the regional thread. I have always loved the weather, the more extreme the better. If it is cold, I want it to be in the freezer with blizzards. Likewise in summer, I want it scorching. And as for storms, give me a full-blooded supercell complete with lightning fest.

I was lucky enough to be able to go on one of the NW storm-chasing tours several years ago, and spent 10 fabulous days in the company of Paul Sherman, Nick F, Anyweather and a bunch of other weather nuts, along with the great man himself, Michael Fish. I would heartily recommend anyone who is contemplating signing up for one of those to do so. Even if you don't see a tornado, and we didn't although we did manage a funnel cloud and saw the aftermath of the devastating Greensburg EF5 on the first anniversary of it, you will have a blast.

I have also been fortunate in that my job takes me around the world and has allowed me to experience some incredible extremes of weather. Only last year I was in Death Valley, California, when they endured the hottest-ever April in US history. It got up to 112F while I was there, and I even managed to play golf at Furnace Creek - the world's lowest golf course - with the thermometer over the 100F mark. I once played golf in 115F heat for five days in Palm Springs, too!

As for cold, I have been to the Arctic a few times and have experienced cold down to a bone-chilling -40C (which is also -40F) in Nunavut, Canada. It was so cold I had to give up trying to photograph the Northern Lights, which were an amazing sight, and go back indoors.

Yet despite all my travels, nothing is more exciting than sitting at home watching the radar to see snow approaching, being online on NW and seeing who is getting snow and then standing by the back door waiting for the first flakes to gently waft down. Like everyone else on here, I'm just a big kid at heart and always will be. And I will keep watching those lampposts! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

could someone post the 6z NAE charts please.

Posted

Would that be just Harrow Weald M Fish or all of North London LOL

all lol

Drove up to bushey last night witch is 3 miles north of here they had about 4 inches still on the grass

post-13916-0-18695400-1359110763_thumb.j

Edited by Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 'Big talk' weather....:-)

We still have a couple of inches of snow on the ground...extremely slippery this morning and very cold. Still looks very pretty, particularly in woods and fields opposite smile.png .Will certainly make the most of it today x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

6z Nae still going for it

Midnight:

post-15445-0-56992900-1359110990_thumb.g

6am

post-15445-0-74488200-1359111005_thumb.g

Posted

Still all to play for?

God knows!

Even millions of dollars of super computers cannot agree at less than 24hrs away.

Posted

6z Nae still going for it

Looks like they are, seems they are at odds with other models and with only a few hours to go, there will be some blurry eyes in here tomorrow staying up all night to see anything come along for a short while, then disappear.

Posted

Looks like they are, seems they are at odds with other models and with only a few hours to go, there will be some blurry eyes in here tomorrow staying up all night to see anything come along for a short while, then disappear.

Hi coast,

Yup I'm going to the pub and then home by midnight for an all night vigil by the window. Ah I'm so cool :)

Posted

Still all to play for?

Think it's going to be a case of watching the radar later this evening and lamp post watching...

Although if the radar is showing sleet/rain on it's approach to this region, I'll be in bed before Midnight!

Posted
  • Location: Ditchling East Sussex , on the South Downs 12 miles North of Brighton
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , Sun and lightning
  • Location: Ditchling East Sussex , on the South Downs 12 miles North of Brighton

How many days do we expect to be mild for and will it be mild enough fir me to do my Flint walling ? I wonder !

Posted

How many days do we expect to be mild for and will it be mild enough fir me to do my Flint walling ? I wonder !

I've no idea how mild it needs to be for that! But it will be quite wet and windy at times next week

Posted

At least 10 days I would say going by current model output.

Should get to double digits at some point. Although it does look pretty windy and wet at times.

Very autumnal actually.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

Morning everyone

So it's nae vs all the other models

These situations are fascinating to watch unfold

I know it will all be gone by say afternoon but is still good to see who is right and who is wrong with models and bbc

I think a bit of wet snow then sleet to rain

But my elevation in addington may help a bit as there was still plenty of snow around this morning

Looking forward to the next reload of cold and hoping we can get some colder air with snow coming from the east rather than the west

Which is much better IMO

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , Sun and lightning
the wet is not good for lime mortar but the temps sound good although I will be sad to see the snow fade away atleast I can earn some wonga , looking forward to the next snow event even if it does leave me poor!!

At least 10 days I would say going by current model output.

Should get to double digits at some point. Although it does look pretty windy and wet at times.

Very autumnal actually.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Hi, I know it's a pain when these questions are asked but to save me scrolling back....

Are we still on for a snow event tonight or not do you think? Meto have me down for light snow from 3am but sleet before.

Posted

Are we still on for a snow event tonight or not do you think? Meto have me down for light snow from 3am but sleet before.

That sounds about right for your area. Everything else of note likely to be to the North of you and during the late evening but gone by tomorrow morning good.gif

Edited by Coast

Posted

Morning everyone

So it's nae vs all the other models

These situations are fascinating to watch unfold

I know it will all be gone by say afternoon but is still good to see who is right and who is wrong with models and bbc

I agree. Seeing who comes out on top at such a short range will be more interesting than the snow itself in this case.