Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion - 24th January 2013, 06z onwards

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Wow, i would have said it was the other way round(nearly that is)

I can't vouch for the accuracy of the statement, it surprised me, too!

CD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

I think we are looking at a mostly snow to rain event here but it could be interesting for a while east of the M5 M6 and north of the M4 but anyone away from the coast could see something !

Posted

everyone banging on about some possible snow which may or may not happen. even if it does, it won't last more than a few hours before it gets washed away. what we should be more concerned with (apart from the heavy rain) is the wind forecast from these low pressure systems. especially monday and tuesday -

ukwind.png

ukwind.png

I wish people would stop repeating that the snow will melt, we all know a rapid thaw will take place!

I can't speak for others but I want this cold spell to go out with a bang! And if that means a snow to rain event then great. Much better than an all rain event!

Why would I be concerned over high wind gusts and rain? That's everyday weather in the UK and does not excite me what so ever!

Posted

Will be all rain here so wont even bother....Shocking end to Sunday...has gone down hill bit quick for me......Mind you i am 7ft asl ha ha dirol.gifhi.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Yes not sure what the excitement is for tomorrow night when it's going to quickly turn to rain or just start as rain anyway, plus it's not going to arrive til late...unless of course the front stalls and drags in the colder air on the near continent.

Posted

Looks like Fergie and the METO are siding against the NAE then. GFS will be close to the mark I think. With the snowline Suffolk North. Southwards a wintry mess?

Perhaps a shift north of the yellow zone on the METO warnings to come by morning?

Getting bored of this cloudy cold sleety bore anyway!

Bring on a reload. Please...

I love it, just because of Ian F's last post apparently Meto are dropping NAE and going with GFS.

Why do you think the GFS will be close to the mark?

Since when has the GFS out performed the NAE during this cold spell?

Meto warnings and Beeb TV forecasts have heavy snow London Northwards.

We have the highways agency's illuminating the Northern side of the M25 and the A12 with severe weather and snow notification signage!

Essexweather on twitter are going for 2-5cm across the county tomorrow night, that's all I need to know! These guys got it spot on during this cold spell!

Posted

Yes not sure what the excitement is for tomorrow night when it's going to quickly turn to rain or just start as rain anyway, plus it's not going to arrive til late...unless of course the front stalls and drags in the colder air on the near continent.

So what would you rather?

1. Snow for a few hours then rain?

2. Just plain boring rain

I'll take number 1 thanks!

The mild spells coming like it or not! Why not welcome it with snow instead of rain!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

So what would you rather?

1. Snow for a few hours then rain?

2. Just plain boring rain

I'll take number 1 thanks!

The mild spells coming like it or not! Why not welcome it with snow instead of rain!!!

Well, as its coming in late at night I don't really care tbh, as by morning there won't be any snow. Would be different in the daytime and I always love seeing snow fall, but when it turns to rain and slush immediately after getting a covering I'd rather it just rained. Just my opinion!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

If this cold spell has got to go, I'd definitely prefer it to leave with a spectacular last hurrah. However I am sceptical that we will get much south of the river, as my feeling is that the warm will reach us before the precipitation. Remaining ever hopeful though:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

everyone banging on about some possible snow which may or may not happen. even if it does, it won't last more than a few hours before it gets washed away. what we should be more concerned with (apart from the heavy rain) is the wind forecast from these low pressure systems. especially monday and tuesday -

Hi bd

I hear you, its just a bit far away to be taking any wind forecast seriously (for me anyway), but certainly following it with each run and next week is looking lively to say the least.

Before then, being north of this region, I'm hoping for a bit of snow as a good send off to our cold spell :)

Edited by Suburban Streamer

Posted

Looking forward to some Showery days next week, hope to get some convection firing and some T&L!

Much Better! drinks.gif

Posted

Well, as its coming in late at night I don't really care tbh, as by morning there won't be any snow. Would be different in the daytime and I always love seeing snow fall, but when it turns to rain and slush immediately after getting a covering I'd rather it just rained. Just my opinion!

Fair enough.

It's not arriving late at night it's set to arrive in Essex by 9pm.

So most people will see it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Snowing lightly graupel n flakes.... Whats the chance tomorrows front stalls over surrey never gets this far? Then rain saturday?

highly unlikely ,to much energy surge for a stall on this one.full frontal atlantic, rattling in but you will see snow from it .before itestablihes the milder damper overhead.

Posted

highly unlikely ,to much energy surge for a stall on this one.full frontal atlantic, rattling in but you will see snow from it .before itestablihes the milder damper overhead.

I do think theres a good chance of some freezing rain in the mix..... And thats not a nice thing.... Could be nasty around some parts early saturday.... Lookslike the front on some models becomes occluded quite rapidly then fizzles though... Nowcasting at its bestest i guess...... Its still snowing here but light.....

Posted

Pretty tiresome in here today, time for break me thinks..........

Sadly Im inclined to agree with you. The same broken records being played over and over again ad nauseam makes for some very monotonous reading just lately. Oh no it won't, oh yes it will.....Oh no it doesnt'.......oh yes it does.......Zzzzzz..........Which reminds me, when does the pantomime season end ? I may pop back in then, or more to the point, when I have something worth saying.

Try and enjoy it, whatever the weather.

BB

Posted

I love it, just because of Ian F's last post apparently Meto are dropping NAE and going with GFS.

Why do you think the GFS will be close to the mark?

Since when has the GFS out performed the NAE during this cold spell?

Meto warnings and Beeb TV forecasts have heavy snow London Northwards.

We have the highways agency's illuminating the Northern side of the M25 and the A12 with severe weather and snow notification signage!

Essexweather on twitter are going for 2-5cm across the county tomorrow night, that's all I need to know! These guys got it spot on during this cold spell!

Woah. Why you getting so aggy about my post?

I only posted my thoughts at the time.

Jeez some people need to take a chill pill. If it snows great, if it doesn't so what it will be gone within 24hrs anyway.

Those are the facts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Some of south,east england best (although short lived)snow totals are verified by the scenario we face.the overlap before dominance,is comprised of energy flexing on stagnancy.could be both intresting and evolving.i for one look forward with antisapation.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

I'm not convinced we'll see anything bar a few flakes on the leading edge if I'm honest. Certaintly no accumulations to write home about. The GFS brings the milder air in ahead of the Precipitation so pretty much all rain for us there, the NMM is similar perhaps giving some sleet into London at best, rain across our entire region other than that.

It seems to me, the NAE is the only one going for snow in our region.

Posted

Woah. Why you getting so aggy about my post?

I only posted my thoughts at the time.

Jeez some people need to take a chill pill. If it snows great, if it doesn't so what it will be gone within 24hrs anyway.

Those are the facts.

Stop saying it will be gone within hours!

I am well aware!

I'm not convinced we'll see anything bar a few flakes on the leading edge if I'm honest. Certaintly no accumulations to write home about. The GFS brings the milder air in ahead of the Precipitation so pretty much all rain for us there, the NMM is similar perhaps giving some sleet into London at best, rain across our entire region other than that.

It seems to me, the NAE is the only one going for snow in our region.

And good a job.

NAE nailed the ppn during this cold spell.

Posted

I am well aware!

That is the first time I have said it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

I am well aware!

And good a job.

NAE nailed the ppn during this cold spell.

Not quite,

The NMM was equally as accurate, if not more accurate I found, the NMM was the first to back away from a snow event on the first Saturday of the cold spell, the NAE stuck with the snow signal for a few more runs