Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion - 24th January 2013, 06z onwards

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Morning all... So much for the -4 minima last night... It got to -0.5! Currently -0.2...

In fact, over the last 5 days, I don't think it has gone above +2c or below -1c here.

Still full cover of snow outside the town... Priory Park has its 8th consecutive day of cover - this is unusual - this is probably more days than all the cover between 1992-2008!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

VERY light snow here, a few grains on the car :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Was predicted to get down to -6c last night here. Our overnight low was -1.8c.

Hi Mark.

This has been the most disappointing aspect of this cold spell for me, the lack of any really cold night time minima, due to the fact the region held on to too much cloud at night.

Regards,

Tom

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow, snow......... Snow

I'm just happy the weekend is nearly upon us. Looking forward to a nice sleep in tomorrow morning. Realistically, if it does snow it's not going remain for very long, however, with that said it will be nice to see it fall. Going to be out to night for a meal so might catch some later on.

Posted

hmmmmm .......seems the preciption seems to decaying quite rapidly wales southwards ........ at this rate we be lucky to get anything rain/sleet/snow .....seems very much a scotland/N England affair unless we get it intensifing later

Posted

GFS still having none of it for our region.

It is clear that it will be pot luck tonight. Good luck to those that stay up past midnight.

18-779.GIF?25-6

Posted

If I can just pop this post in here from the Model Disc.thread.

Hi Dave,

Well not much encouragement from the models in mid-term for a quick return to cold BUT starting to feel something stirring in the GFS output, longer term. Roger J. Smith has mentioned in his long-term forecast to look towards the N.E for some height rises Finland/N.W.Russia and we're starting to see tentative signs of that this morning.

As we head into Feb. Gfs wants to run the jet NW/SE again, with heights lowering over Europe again, something G.P. alluded to as well.

Patience looks to be the watchword again, certainly short-term pain but I for one am not discouraged

re.prospects further into Feb., for a return of cold, wintry weather.

Regards,

Tom.

P.S. Just seen Gavins quote from Matt Hugo re. the latest ECM 32 dayer, interesting.

Yes, certainly nothing much in the output for a quick return of cold, wintry weather but I'm very hopeful for prospects around the beginning of 2nd week of Feb.

With that in mind, the next round of the Snow Depth Cup to be held from the week-end beginning Sat.9th Feb.

Thats's confidence for you!whistling.gif No doubt just jinxed it then!doh.gif

Regards,

Tom.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!!

As we're on a bit of a lull in here, I just thought I'd write a little something....

Firstly, whilst I have scored this winter (so far) fairly low on Paul S's scale, what it hasn't taken into account is the excitement factor. I'm just an enthusiast, so whilst I realise that the synoptics have been incredible, what has really made this winter so good is this forum.

The mods have all been incredible and YOU lot have been everything from informative, funny, cheerful, sarcastic to depressed and even argumentative (which I see mainly as passion) at times.

It's nice to have such a warm place to go to on a frosty day, somewhere to share my (some say irrational) love of snow and cold weather. A place where no one judges me, because you're all as nuts as I am (some of you more so......). You happily share your information, pictures and enthusiasm, and for that, I thank you!

And whilst I also appreciate this is a weather related thread, it's been nice to share some laughs and banter without getting shouted down for it.

I know we are currently awaiting some mild weather but I'm still intrigued to watch it unfold. Will the North get walloped? Will the snow make it to the South East? Will we have the heaviest snowfall that suddenly veers towards us without being forecast to? Will the rain be hammering on my window whilst the wind gusts? Who knows.....? But that is the beauty of our unpredictable British weather. This winter so far has thrown up so many surprises, I wonder how anyone doesn't have any interest in what will happen next.

So thank you to all of you for making me feel welcome, putting up with my inane questions and banter. I have been a member for a few yrs but it's really only this year that I have contributed (nonsense) to this London and SE thread. If there are any other lurkers out there (yeah, you know who you are....), I'd highly recommend you come and get involved and up the excitement factor of your winter (we still have plenty left).

A word of advice though, don't ask if it's going to snow IYBY (In Your Backyard) because that is what we have radars for. Read the fantastic posts from the experienced members and make the decision for yourself, because at the end of the day......no-one ever really knows for sure!

So bring on the wind and rain, bring on the mad change that we'll see unfold in the next 48hrs and keep smiling because who knows what we'll get next in this funny little corner we know and love as the South East. clap.gif

Edited by Nikkib74

Posted

If I can just pop this post in here from the Model Disc.thread.

Hi Dave,

Well not much encouragement from the models in mid-term for a quick return to cold BUT starting to feel something stirring in the GFS output, longer term. Roger J. Smith has mentioned in his long-term forecast to look towards the N.E for some height rises Finland/N.W.Russia and we're starting to see tentative signs of that this morning.

As we head into Feb. Gfs wants to run the jet NW/SE again, with heights lowering over Europe again, something G.P. alluded to as well.

Patience looks to be the watchword again, certainly short-term pain but I for one am not discouraged

re.prospects further into Feb., for a return of cold, wintry weather.

Regards,

Tom.

P.S. Just seen Gavins quote from Matt Hugo re. the latest ECM 32 dayer, interesting.

Yes, certainly nothing much in the output for a quick return of cold, wintry weather but I'm very hopeful for prospects around the beginning of 2nd week of Feb.

With that in mind, the next round of the Snow Depth Cup to be held from the week-end beginning Sat.9th Feb.

Thats's confidence for you!whistling.gif No doubt just jinxed it then!doh.gif

Regards,

Tom.

Yep 2nd week of Feb looks to be the next point of interest. With perhaps a proper Greenie HP and a reload from the NE.

Flat and zonal until then unfortunately.

Posted

Nikki,

Couldnt agree more with you, with those sentiments, I've been a member since 2005 and have really enjoyed my time on here.

Btw, really looking forward to your replay with Blizzard Belle in the Snow Cup! What a titanic struggle you had, 14-14!

Expecting another high scoring thriller, which obv. will be good news for everybody, on the snow front. clapping.gif

Regards,

Tom.

Posted

As we're on a bit of a lull in here, I just thought I'd write a little something....

Awww thanks Nikki, great sentiments that I think we all share and it's good to have such a (generally!!) happy crew in here! friends.gif

Posted
  • Location: near Charing ( Mid Kent between Ashford & Maidstone )
  • Location: near Charing ( Mid Kent between Ashford & Maidstone )

Light to Moderate Snizzle at times here in last hour - just starting to whiten things up a bit on roofs and paths.

Temp bang on 0c

Posted

Well, for what it's worth, 06Z GFS has sent it all a little further North and for even shorter a period now:

18_20.gif

prectypeuktopo.png

But let's look forward to the next possibility!

Edited by Coast

Posted

Heavy snow on the way not long now

Oi - behave! acute.gif

Posted

Firstly, whilst I have scored this winter (so far) fairly low on Paul S's scale, what it hasn't taken into account is the excitement factor. I'm just an enthusiast, so whilst I realise that the synoptics have been incredible, what has really made this winter so good is this forum.

The mods have all been incredible and YOU lot have been everything from informative, funny, cheerful, sarcastic to depressed and even argumentative (which I see mainly as passion) at times.

It's nice to have such a warm place to go to on a frosty day, somewhere to share my (some say irrational) love of snow and cold weather. A place where no one judges me, because you're all as nuts as I am (some of you more so......). You happily share your information, pictures and enthusiasm, and for that, I thank you!

And whilst I also appreciate this is a weather related thread, it's been nice to share some laughs and banter without getting shouted down for it.

I know we are currently awaiting some mild weather but I'm still intrigued to watch it unfold. Will the North get walloped? Will the snow make it to the South East? Will we have the heaviest snowfall that suddenly veers towards us without being forecast to? Will the rain be hammering on my window whilst the wind gusts? Who knows.....? But that is the beauty of our unpredictable British weather. This winter so far has thrown up so many surprises, I wonder how anyone doesn't have any interest in what will happen next.

So thank you to all of you for making me feel welcome, putting up with my inane questions and banter. I have been a member for a few yrs but it's really only this year that I have contributed (nonsense) to this London and SE thread. If there are any other lurkers out there (yeah, you know who you are....), I'd highly recommend you come and get involved and up the excitement factor of your winter (we still have plenty left).

A word of advice though, don't ask if it's going to snow IYBY (In Your Backyard) because that is what we have radars for. Read the fantastic posts from the experienced members and make the decision for yourself, because at the end of the day......no-one ever really knows for sure!

So bring on the wind and rain, bring on the mad change that we'll see unfold in the next 48hrs and keep smiling because who knows what we'll get next in this funny little corner we know and love as the South East. clap.gif

Btw Nikki, what have you been doing since Randall and Hopkirk deceased?

http://i4.ytimg.com/vi/37m5qxlIXKw/mqdefault.jpg

Not that good a lookalike actually, might have got you mixed up with someone else! Getting old and my eyesights going!

Cheers,

Tom

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!!

Btw Nikki, what have you been doing since Randall and Hopkirk deceased?

http://i4.ytimg.com/...w/mqdefault.jpg

Not that good a lookalike actually, might have got you mixed up with someone else! Getting old and my eyesights going!

Cheers,

Tom

.......Oh, I wish......biggrin.png

Posted

The sun is just breaking through now, must be Nikki's post that's done it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

And Paul Sherman who gives a sensible reality needed at some times!

Yes of course drinks.gif

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I have to say that I will be sad to see the snow leave the Sourth Downs tonight. They have been looking splendiferous with the white coating.

Heres hoping that they can have another white coat before the winter is out.

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted

Wowzers

The factory turned into a block of ice that's still BURNING inside

• A wave of arctic air from Canada is sweeping through the Midwest into the Northeast
  • Historic warehouse on Chicago's South Side continues to burn despite being sheathed in layers of ice
  • Authorities believe the cold has killed at least four people and are issuing health warnings
  • The air north of Great Lakes is 'colder than that of the North Pole'

http://www.dailymail...days-later.html

Edited by Paul Ashford