Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion 26th January 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

GFS6z goes for snow.

Precipitation looks medium.

Posted

I'd ignore that to be honest, It gives low-level Leeds 20cms of snow which (although not totally impossible) may as well be imaginary.

BBC and Meto auto updates have 9hours of Heavy Snow for Leeds Sunday, potentially 10cms+.

Remember though, NOTHING is remotely nailed yet AT ALL.

Posted

Hi iv nipped in from the sw forum, no snow for us this weekend so could I ask york to make sure you have snow next weekend as im coming up for the weekend and I figured iv more chance of seeing snow up there than I do down here, not so good that you could have snow this weekend though as it lessons my chance for next weekend.thankyougood.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild Spring , hot summer , crisp autumn and snowy cold winters

Metcheck was showing -3 in Florida for the dates I was there nea.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.

Look north just said lots lots of snow yorks this Sunday into monday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.

Then asked 'enough for sledges' and she said yes!! Must be confident

Posted
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL

Normally love the snow, but sunday is Cas Tigers v Leeds Rhinos in Castleford at 3.30pm, looks like the game could be cancelled? i suppose its a win win situation for me, no rugby = snow and vice versa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

To me there are four stages of forecast potential excitement when it comes to snow:

1. One chart/run has shown a tasty (as in possibly snowy) scenario out beyond T144. This is mild excitement/interest, due to the number of times nothing comes of it.
  2. Broad model agreement that a cold spell where snow is a probability is likely to come to fruition i.e. general model agreement at T96 - T144 range. This is medium excitement because whilst a cold spell is highly likely, whether it'll deliver snow for my own location is still very much uncertain.
  3. Short term forecasts (T24 - T72) are predicting snow for my general area (western part of West Yorkshire). This is high excitement, but not full on celebration, because even at this point snowfall at my location isn't guaranteed.
  4. Celebration - snow is falling heavily enough to make it worthwhile i.e. everything is white !!! This only ever happens at T0.

I would put next Sunday/Monday's 'event' still very much between 2 and 3 because this is a fairly unusual set-up, (the low hasn't even formed yet, and there's a lot of milder air - at least relative to snowfall - circulating in the low as currently modelled), so it wouldn't take much to either be too far north or too far south, (lots of rain or very little snow at all). Therefore right now I am only 'medium excited'.

Posted

To me there are four stages of forecast potential excitement when it comes to snow:

1. One chart/run has shown a tasty (as in possibly snowy) scenario out beyond T144. This is mild excitement/interest, due to the number of times nothing comes of it.
  2. Broad model agreement that a cold spell where snow is a probability is likely to come to fruition i.e. general model agreement at T96 - T144 range. This is medium excitement because whilst a cold spell is highly likely, whether it'll deliver snow for my own location is still very much uncertain.
  3. Short term forecasts (T24 - T72) are predicting snow for my general area (western part of West Yorkshire). This is high excitement, but not full on celebration, because even at this point snowfall at my location isn't guaranteed.
  4. Celebration - snow is falling heavily enough to make it worthwhile i.e. everything is white !!! This only ever happens at T0.

I would put next Sunday/Monday's 'event' still very much between 2 and 3 because this is a fairly unusual set-up, (the low hasn't even formed yet, and there's a lot of milder air - at least relative to snowfall - circulating in the low as currently modelled), so it wouldn't take much to either be too far north or too far south, (lots of rain or very little snow at all). Therefore right now I am only 'medium excited'.

love this post thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

No it needs to be next sunday sorry.gif

No we will make sure york is clear of all snow just for you tease.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Met Office explaining the situation for Sunday and Monday, whether or not it will snow (do they read these weather forums?!)

Yorksh9re is in a great position, Lincolnshire looking decent.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

It will be very wet snow or rain within about 10 miles of the coast.

Also the amount is not that great compared to North Sea showers which can give a couple of inches in 10 minutes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow.

No we will make sure york is clear of all snow just for you tease.gif

And me! I need to get to Manchester on Monday!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...

So is anyone going to stick their necks out and give a rough estimate of how much is going to fall on Sunday in the Huddersfield area? I'm supposed to be in school with 40 kids rehearsing a for a show, and I don't want to have to cancel it unless I have to!

Posted

I love people having snow days, makes my travelling a lot better....Some of us never have snow days, doesn't wash!

Posted

Edging towards highest snowfall accumulation for Yorkshire. It's more the persistency rather than the intensity when the front should stall further south across the midlands.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow.

Jon mitchell forecasted 10cm on ITV calendar. When you look at how much that is, it isn't all that much! 20cm on higher ground.

Posted

Jon mitchell forecasted 10cm on ITV calendar. When you look at how much that is, it isn't all that much! 20cm on higher ground.

Still be a nice end to winter though

Posted

It will be very wet snow or rain within about 10 miles of the coast.

Also the amount is not that great compared to North Sea showers which can give a couple of inches in 10 minutes.

Nice forecast Aaron, but he needs to slow down!!

Edit: Sorry replied to wrong person!!

Edited by Sunny_AS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

All the people on model thread saying charts are rubbish because there's no snow for them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

All the people on model thread saying charts are rubbish because there's no snow for them.

Pathetic attitudes, even by more knowledgeable members such as Steve Murr. My advice is to stay on this thread for any model updates, you won't find unbiased posts in the MOD thread, just parochial IMBY tripe.

Posted

I Agree with that Aaron. BTW where did you take that fantastic photo of Emley moor with the pennines behind it