Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion 26th January 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

Pretty sure we just saw lightning..that or a sub station blew up..sat in livingroom with light off and it lit the room up

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

Intense heavy snow Friday night, followed by intense heavy rain Saturday night. The weather for our little island is amazing, The

varying ppn and temp fluctuations of last nights event shows how unpredictable our weather is, even neighboring areas seperated by a few

miles can variate wildly. Other countries talk about how we're obsessed with the weather which is understandable and a compliment IMO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Go and Live in the Channel Isles some amazing storms out there

Pretty sure we just saw lightning..that or a sub station blew up..sat in livingroom with light off and it lit the room up

There are some strikes around as the front makes its way in

Posted

Hubby is sat facing window..says he's pretty sure it was sheet lightning ..hope we get a few more :)

Posted

Just checked lightning detector ..looks like it was a strike.. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

Rain bouncing on the road, its like a river down the hill.

This band came flying over the Pennines like they weren't even there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Absolutely pouring here, odd experience with thick snow cover. Roads are a slushy mess, diabolical.

Posted

After last nights event just had a rumble of thunder and lighting in Morley tonight crazy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

Winds really picking up seconds between the gusts love lying in ma bed listening to strong winds :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

THINK IM GONNA STAY UP ALL NIGHT...IT'S RAINING!, HAVEN'T SEEN THIS BEAUTIFUL PHENOMENON IN 2 WEEKS!

Edited by Barry95

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Noooooooo the snow nearly gone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

just got back from city centre and the snow is still here, front garden totally covered back garden mostly covered but starting to lose a fair amount rapidly, woludnt be sur[rised if it was still there by 9am

in the city centre i didnt really notice much i was too blurry eyed, now im off to bed so goodnight

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Winds really picking up seconds between the gusts love lying in ma bed listening to strong winds smile.png

The Missus been on the curry again?? Ha

Posted

Just read this in the model thread, posted by two learned and very knowledgeable NW members shortly after midnight.

LomondSnowstorm commented.

The evolution has a very similar look about it to the last two cold spells over the winter, with low heights digging southeast into Europe and ridging in the mid Atlantic north-northeastwards. With the next stratospheric downwelling set to hit and some favourable tropospheric background signals (along with the general late winter PV weakening), the potential is there for another cold spell with perhaps more convincing blocking in place than the other two so far. Still very much a case of wait and see though, but it's positive that we're sniffing the scent of another cold shot just hours after a fortnight long cold spell.

Panayiotis replied.

Yes some favourable signals for another cold spell, I remember back in early Jan/late Dec when I thought to myself that we could be looking at a cold spell giving what the models were showing, and then on the 15th we were in the freezer! I have the same feeling now that I felt before so something maybe brewing!

All in FI of course but encouraging that the models are hinting at pattern changes instead of the default zonal set-up like they did after the failed

easterly chance in December.

Edited by Machu Picchu

Posted

Weird weather, Just had a sleet blizzard roll in on high winds, could see it charging across the hills.

Posted

Thats all my snow gone! We have had a covering for nearly 2 weeks which was amazing! Roll on the next cold spell and for even more snow and colddrinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in Winter!

Still bits of snow cover mainly due to compacted snow but only real snow left are the piles and the snowmen!!

Posted

UK on flood alert as heavy rain mixes with melting snow

Wales, central England and south-west expected to be worst hit by downpours

More than 200 flood alerts are in place across the UK as heavy rain has mixed with melting snow.

There have been more reports of flooding in south Wales overnight as the downpours replace almost two weeks of snow. Norfolk police have reported flooding caused by melting snow and ice, which has closed a number of roads in the area.

Wales, central England, and the south west will be the worst-hit areas, with at least 2.5cm (1in) of rain expected by mid-morning on Sunday, while the rest of the UK can expect around 1.3cm.

Rising temperatures of up to 12C have sparked a rapid thaw of the snow and ice which has built up in the recent cold snap, exacerbating potential flooding problems. The Environment Agency has issued 30 flood warnings urging people to take immediate action against predicted flooding, in the Midlands, the west of England, central England and Wales. A further 218 flood warnings are in place across England, Scotland and Wales affecting all but the east of England and north of Scotland.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jan/27/uk-flood-alert-rain-snow

Posted

Still full cover here, easily 4 inches. It helps being further east with less rain and in a valley protected from the wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

There was still a tiny bit of slushy snow left on the ground at 9am but only covering about 20% of the ground, so not a "snow day" by Met Office rules. By 9:30 the rest of it had gone.

As expected the combination of wind, rain and humidity overnight washed the snow away far more effectively than yesterday's sunshine and temperatures of 5.4C.

I'm in two minds about today's weather- a right pain to be out in, but I find this sort of blustery sunshine-and-showers regime quite exciting to watch from inside. Looks grey and drizzly into Monday/Tuesday though- perhaps a greater emphasis on brighter showery and less mild weather from Wednesday onwards with potential for snow over the North York Moors from a northerly at the weekend.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

Mega melt here, fields are all green only the drifts and compacted bits remain..i have an interesting slushy pond in my garden

Posted

Completeley snow free here now, still chilly mind! 3.5c

Posted

Mega melt here, fields are all green only the drifts and compacted bits remain..i have an interesting slushy pond in my garden

Same here, cant believe it went so quickly, just drifts and hard pack remain. Never seen so many mole hills on the park over the road.

I'm a cold lover but enjoying the bright sun and blue sky.