Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion 26th January 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

A heads up but the Met has got us under a warning for tomorrow (and there is one for now, but the one tomorrow is perhaps more significant).

'Westerly winds will increase on Thursday to produce gusts of 50-60mph, perhaps as high as 70mph on exposed coasts and hills. Winds will peak across Northern Ireland in the morning with the greatest strength then transferring into northern England and southern Scotland by the afternoon. Winds will then gradually ease across all areas during Thursday evening.

The public should be aware of possible disruption to transport.'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

So its all happening this week!

Strong winds for the foreseeable, sunshine, torrential rain, hail and thunder in places today, a squall line overnight tonight, more winds with gusts up to 60mph tomorrow, and then the possibility of some heavy snow for a time on Friday as per the latest NAE update.

We just need a tornado thrown in for good measure and we have the full set! Who says the weather in the UK is dull?!

Edited by Kentish Snowman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

By 'eck yes, hasn't it been a wild day !

60 mph gusts here and I saw lightening amidst a strong squall.

Paul Hudson just mentioned a 'twister' had occured in the region !

B. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

By 'eck yes, hasn't it been a wild day !

60 mph gusts here and I saw lightening amidst a strong squall.

Paul Hudson just mentioned a 'twister' had occured in the region !

B. smile.png

just before i went to work today at 13:40pm there was a very stong gust of wind that lasted 15-20 seconds that blew my fence clearly off it's feet,i have never experienced such a gust,does anwone know if the twister passed through hear at that time cos it was pretty scairy,oh and when i got to work the power was out.

Si

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

So its all happening this week!

Strong winds for the foreseeable, sunshine, torrential rain, hail and thunder in places today, a squall line overnight tonight, more winds with gusts up to 60mph tomorrow, and then the possibility of some heavy snow for a time on Friday as per the latest NAE update.

We just need a tornado thrown in for good measure and we have the full set! Who says the weather in the UK is dull?!

I don't think snow will be very widespread on Friday except for the highest parts of the region, judging by the temperature projections, but we should get a fair number of snow/sleet/hail showers firing over the Pennines on Tuesday IMHO.

I've been pleasantly surprised by this week's weather so far. Many recent "Atlantic" spells have been mild cloudy moist affairs with the only noteworthy weather events being unusually persistent frontal systems giving widespread flooding, but this one has thrown a lot of weather types at us and this looks likely to continue for at least another week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

The wind is howling through the trees here at work! I noticed a few medium size branches that had been blown off on to the garden too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

Rather gusty in scunny today. Not ideal conditions for footy :)

And I hear we could be back in the freezer next week? 😨

Posted

A squally shower with hail and thunder just whizzed through Leeds centre. Quite impressive for 5 minutes. Quiet again now.

Posted

Just seen flash of lightning in Leeds city centre from a heavy shower. Wind really gusty too.

I saw that sheet lighting when I was working in Leeds. Was good!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Gusts to 50mph, it is actually drying up a bit though.

Any showers go through in no time.

Yesterday

IMG_0627a.jpg

looks like you have had our share of snow .you seem to have done well these last few years

Posted

I do like a good Northerly toppler! A fairly brief and not massively cold one overnight and tomorrow, but, enough to give 2-4cm's from convective snow showers right down the East Coast according to Chris Fawkes on BBC news 24.

Posted

My last snow pile disappeared overnight, though there are still a few in the village and drifts in the hedges. Quite a big pile still in the car park at the Triton Inn, Sledmere. Was also quite icy this morning on the back roads. Snow showers tonight??

Posted

Ahh the good old Northerly toppler seems ages since the last one. How far inland are these showers expecting to push in? Got an feeling we will miss out on any showers here.

Posted

Ahh the good old Northerly toppler seems ages since the last one. How far inland are these showers expecting to push in? Got an feeling we will miss out on any showers here.

I love the topplers. Heavy snow showers, a couple of good frosts, then time to move on. Perfect scenario.

Last one was first week of December with 6 cm, but all too infrequent the last few years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and North Easterley flows, Early spring convection snow showers

getting an impending sense of dread that winters slipping away though not reaching for Nick Sussex prozac supply yet :D least a bite to the air due this weekend and from here can watch the snow showers drifting down the coast, really hope the ECM is correct at least it offers promise running out of credible Fi time help.gif , and can we just Nuke that Canadian/Greenland piece of vortex....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

As I type, I can hear a neighbour mowing their lawn !

Goodness.

B.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and North Easterley flows, Early spring convection snow showers

As I type, I can hear a neighbour mowing their lawn !

Goodness.

B.

Arrrgh the death knell of interesting weather help.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

I think you will catch some showers, but not sure on your elevation in Hessle, looking at conditions tonight I think if you are above 50m and east of York you are more likely too see a covering. Looks a bit too marginal for lower ground. BBC presenter earlier a few cm's likely for North York Moors, Yorkshire/Lincolnshire Wolds.

Posted

Just had a heavy shower which turned to sleet. Game on?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

HI all,

Im more watching the models and the threads associated with them, tonight especially encouraged about the posts made on the mod thread and the charts that are being posted, a very optimistic mood in there at the moment.

RJS`S post was really encouraging regarding the last third of this month and a comparison to winter 1969.

steve murr suggesting things are well and truly on a knife edge , whilst every one else is humming and arring!

RJ suggested the low that zips down the north sea next tuesday and will wreak havoc, i dont know if thats a ramp up or going to come off, but it suggests to me a 1953 kinda storm.

what i would like your opinion on is , at the mo on the GFS run it doesnt look like a big storm at all, can this be a under estimate by the GFS or an over ramp by RJS..... then what happens afterwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Once again showers are heading inland to Sandhutton from a near-straight northerly- they could well keep going until around dawn tomorrow as the winds aren't projected to back NNW'ly until around midday, so a slight chance of a dusting of snow tomorrow perhaps.

A bit of sleetiness in the latest shower, temp 3.2, but mostly rain.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Problem is TWS, that when the conditions become favorable for snow, the wind flow veers NNW. Just had a sleety shower here also, not expecting much here overnight, il be lucky for a covering. Radar is looking tasty for those higher up (4WD)

Edited by vizzy2004