Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion 26th January 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think that even if the winds were to stay N to NNE we'd only get a limited window of opportunity for significant lying snow anyway- the conditions only become particularly favourable by around dawn and then we'd be seeing temps rising again due to solar heating, with only heavy snow showers likely to drag the temperature down enough for it to settle. I think even along the Tyne and Wear coast (where I originally come from) there will probably be just a dusting tomorrow morning which will thaw in the afternoon sun.

That said, it's snowing here now- not cold enough for it to lie, but I hadn't particularly expected to see snow before next Tuesday so a bit of a bonus really!

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.

I think that even if the winds were to stay N to NNE we'd only get a limited window of opportunity for significant lying snow anyway- the conditions only become particularly favourable by around dawn and then we'd be seeing temps rising again due to solar heating, with only heavy snow showers likely to drag the temperature down enough for it to settle. I think even along the Tyne and Wear coast (where I originally come from) there will probably be just a dusting tomorrow morning which will thaw in the afternoon sun.

That said, it's snowing here now- not cold enough for it to lie, but I hadn't particularly expected to see snow before next Tuesday so a bit of a bonus really!

Yes there has been some heavy snow showers here in Gateshead which tried to settle at times but quickly melted soon afterwards.

Posted

Were right on the river humber here guess about 2 Metres above sea level so very low lying. Jst been woken by an heavy wintry shower with hail and looked like snow but can't be sure but nice all the same. Be nice to see an covering and have lying snow in all three winter months :-) plus with the snow we had in October which is expectionally rare never seen snow fall and settle in October in this location and Many other low lying areas so proves what can happen if the set up is right and cold enough.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Heavy snow falling currently here, struggling to settle tho apart from cars/bins. Just looked at the North Yorks road camera page, some very wintry scenes in the moors and wolds with Sutton Bank near Thirsk looking a bit tricky!

033B92B9_FFED885A_cam1.jpg

Posted

Woken up to a nice dusting here too. It won't be around long once the sun rises but it's nice to see again. Plenty more showers incoming too.

Temp 1.6C with dew point of -1.9C.

Posted

Finally a decent shower here, ground temp must be below zero as every flake is sticking.

Posted

Also a light cover here and now snowing again heavily, some graupel as well.

Actually chucking it down now and the road is covered. Min temp 0.2, which is now.

Edited by woldsowl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Aye, I can add my local sighting of snowfall.

It is settling too. A mere dusting so far.

B. :)

Posted

Bit of a streamer going on here, it's been snowing for an hour and more to come. Some heavier bursts but with the temp above 0 not really building up too much, but quite pretty all the same.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...

How much snow are we expecting on Tuesday? Trying to plan my week ahead and my dad seems to think we're in for a bit of a dumping!

I wouldn't mind as normally I love the snow but I have so much to do this week, I could really do without any bother!! Lol!!

Posted

We had light snow overnight, i think the front has all but gone as it's literally a dusting on cars and the lane.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Yesterday was a truly beautiful day, visibility was excellent, the following picture was taken at Temple Newsam in Leeds, and the tall tower in the distance is Winter Hill transmitting station, near Bolton, some 45 miles away.

be2e34eb9b48443da617abe.png

Edited by Aaron

Posted

The precip band that passed early hours fell as snow here, leading to a covering on most surfaces. Nothing to write home about but a nice surprise nonetheless. Just about all melted now apart from the grass.

Posted

Hopefully western parts of the region should do well for heavy wintery showers first half of the week,maybe streamers setting up.Then the east should do well wednesday onwards as winds veer northerly.

Posted

Bit of an odd one, im running just over 3 mb less than xc weather gfs 06z forecast for barnsley. It is usually bang on. Getting very windy also, last hour, mean 26.8mph, gust 46.9mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think many parts of the region may wake up to a covering of snow on Tuesday morning, particularly (though not exclusively) high ground, and particularly the western half of the region. A fair number of showers are likely to fire in off the Irish Sea on Monday evening and much of Tuesday and there will probably be a good 12-18 hour window when the showers will be of snow and hail at all levels. Isolated thunderstorms are also possible in the west of the region.

I think late on Tuesday afternoon and into the evening the heavy squally snow and hail showers will be replaced by lighter and more persistent sleet/rain as the warmer pool of air sinks southwards accompanied by weak fronts. This will generally wash away the snow cover below about 200-300m, but I think the tops of the North York Moors and Pennines will continue to see accumulations of snow.

From Wednesday lunchtime through to Friday, I expect showers generally to fall as snow, although with daytime maxima of 3-5C the snow will tend to thaw in the daytime sunshine except in areas that pick up a lot of heavy showers. The nearer the east coast you are, the more likely you are to see the snow showers. Inland, a lot will depend on the wind direction, but there is evidence that at times the showers may penetrate to the west of the North York Moors, especially late on Wednesday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

I think many parts of the region may wake up to a covering of snow on Tuesday morning, particularly (though not exclusively) high ground, and particularly the western half of the region. A fair number of showers are likely to fire in off the Irish Sea on Monday evening and much of Tuesday and there will probably be a good 12-18 hour window when the showers will be of snow and hail at all levels. Isolated thunderstorms are also possible in the west of the region.

I think late on Tuesday afternoon and into the evening the heavy squally snow and hail showers will be replaced by lighter and more persistent sleet/rain as the warmer pool of air sinks southwards accompanied by weak fronts. This will generally wash away the snow cover below about 200-300m, but I think the tops of the North York Moors and Pennines will continue to see accumulations of snow.

From Wednesday lunchtime through to Friday, I expect showers generally to fall as snow, although with daytime maxima of 3-5C the snow will tend to thaw in the daytime sunshine except in areas that pick up a lot of heavy showers. The nearer the east coast you are, the more likely you are to see the snow showers. Inland, a lot will depend on the wind direction, but there is evidence that at times the showers may penetrate to the west of the North York Moors, especially late on Wednesday.

Excellent! I was just reading the BBC forecast for tomorrow and it does state that showers will turn increasingly to snow tomorrow, as you say especialy in the evening and overnight. I can see Sheffield doing well out of this kind of NW set up, lets hope so anyway!

The meto have a yellow warning for snow now and the boundary nearly clips the west of the region so im sure we'll see a few flakes tomorrow :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

Excellent! I was just reading the BBC forecast for tomorrow and it does state that showers will turn increasingly to snow tomorrow, as you say especialy in the evening and overnight. I can see Sheffield doing well out of this kind of NW set up, lets hope so anyway!

The meto have a yellow warning for snow now and the boundary nearly clips the west of the region so im sure we'll see a few flakes tomorrow :)

I hope so. I had to take my weather station back to maplin so i have no idea of the temps dropping :-(