Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Regional Discussion 31st January 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted

wow this thread has been quiet today, thank you for the good posts JP and GTLTW, very informative. How can you work out the expected temps from the fax charts?, have never figured that part out.

Night all, CYA tomorrow.

http://weatherfaqs.org.uk/node/17

and if you really want to get very technical

http://weatherfaqs.org.uk/node/93

and real reading

http://weatherfaqs.org.uk/book/export/html/214

that will keep you busy

for about a month rofl.gif

Posted

Pinch punch first of the month, white rabbits white rabbits white rabbits!!!!

Posted

No wind or gusts of note here yet. Plenty of rain again, I wonder how much this is going to affect us later today?

ASII_20130201_0630.png

Maybe more on Monday then?

gfs_gusts_eur72.png

Or Wednesday?

120_21.gif

Edited by Coast

Posted

Still a way to go before anything that's left of the wind is likely to get here (and you may not even notice it anyway!). XC Weather show Ireland has some low impact stuff currently:

post-6667-0-93493100-1359705493_thumb.gi

Posted

Good morning!

Your quip about the first of the month made me smile, Coast! Up here we say " pinch and a punch, and no returns", which reminded me of something else that I don't hear and see often anymore (probably as I no longer play chase games in the school playground!), crossing fingers and saying " vein lights" to call a truce in the game!

Anyway, it's teeming with rain here and has been since at least 4:30am when I got up. I gather we've got this for some hours yet. Which is a pain, as I have a pile of washing to dry and I hate using the tumble drier! So did this predicted blast just run out of steam or is somewhere else going to get battered with storm force winds today.

Well, whatever the weather, have a good day, people!

CD

Edited by crazy_diamond

Guest bjaykent

Hi, well another set of runs and still some uncertainty on the way forward GFS continues to flatten the pattern in the longer term with just very minor adjustments run on run, while ecm tease us with a possible easterly in FI with heights building to our NE, and UKMO looks similar to ecm at 144. Given the poor performance of GFS in progging todays low earlier this week I certainly don't have much confidence in anything they show in the longer term but seeing the ESTOFEX forecast that Coast put up in the Mod thread this morning shows that the way forward is still uncertain with the PV continuing to cause problems with its strength over Canada.

Like everyone in here in the main I would love to see ecm easterly come off but the hurt of December 2012 is still haunting many of us but

I will certainly stick with JP's thoughts who is strongly in favour of a cold February and March.

The biggest problem over the next few days might be what clothes to wear Overcoat or T-shirt LOLtease.gif

Edited by bjaykent

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

I thought it was "fay nights" we used to shout, or "kings" to call a truce.

Still chucking it down here in Ware.

it is fay knights :) or even fein/feign. We taught our 4yr old to shout it in play battles lol.

Morning everyone. Not so windy today then! Really grim and wet out there though. Im off out in an hour so I bet it starts to chuck it down as soon as I step out the door. The law of sod!

Guest bjaykent

Good morning!

Your quip about the first of the month made me smile, Coast! Up here we say " pinch and a punch, and no returns", which reminded me of something else that I don't hear and see often anymore (probably as I no longer play chase games in the school playground!), crossing fingers and saying " vein lights" to call a truce in the game!

Anyway, it's teeming with rain here and has been since at least 4:30am when I got up. I gather we've got this for some hours yet. Which is a pain, as I have a pile of washing to dry and I hate using the tumble drier! So did this predicted blast just run out of steam or is somewhere else going to get battered with storm force winds today.

Well, whatever the weather, have a good day, people!

CD

The no returns bit never worked in our playground you still got a 'punch and a kick for being so quick' but as I recall the punch and kick could generally happen on any day of the month!aggressive.gif

Posted

The no returns bit never worked in our playground you still got a 'punch and a kick for being so quick' but as I recall the punch and kick could generally happen on any day of the month!aggressive.gif

Lol, I'd forgotten about that bit, probably the trauma of being at the receiving end so often!

CD

Posted

it is fay knights :) or even fein/feign. We taught our 4yr old to shout it in play battles lol.

Oh dear, I know I am deaf now, but perhaps I was deafer than I realised as a child! Whole new generation in Southend saying "vein lights"!

It is still raining, but I think it is quite mild at 7.8c

CD

Posted

Oh dear, I know I am deaf now, but perhaps I was deafer than I realised as a child! Whole new generation in Southend saying "vein lights"!

It is still raining, but I think it is quite mild at 7.8c

CD

I thought it was "vein nights." It's all very confusing.

My weather observation for Lowestoft is Wet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Mornin each. We used to say the 'pinch punch' thing then the other person would say..'A pinch and a kick for being so quick'. :D

Chucking it down in Ippy ATM but it is supposed to clear up later. 'rain before seven..fine before eleven'.

Have a good day all. :)

Guest bjaykent

Lol, I'd forgotten about that bit, probably the trauma of being at the receiving end so often!

CD

don't have nightmares! A rather chilly 5c here and very wet nea.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Raining here. Loads of standing water in the fields around.

No matter, it's Friday!!biggrin.png

I'll be sitting in the away end at Portsmouth FC tomorrow afternoon, undoubtedly freezing to death. I have to ask myself whether I'm a proper mug at times!ph34r.png

I hope you all have a better weekend.drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep snow, thunderstorms, heatwaves

Those blizzards through the spine of England on Thursday on NAE john postec look very ominous, certainly heathrow will be closed, just hope that downgrades

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Those blizzards through the spine of England on Thursday on NAE john postec look very ominous, certainly heathrow will be closed, just hope that downgrades

I guess you're referring to the Wednesday 6th Feb at 18:00 chart that John posted? It's not NAE, as that is a hi res, 48 hour model. It looks like a GFS chart to me. In any case it's a long way off yet.

Edited by Steve C

Posted

Although there are some good indications on GFS of something many of us would like, I wouldn't get over-excited (or conversely over-worried) just yet....

96_20.gif

102_20.gif

Possibilities all over the place:

108_20.gif

But that might be why it's not firming up for a while.....

Guest bjaykent

At best I think all you can say at present is that it is likely to be cold that day, the rest is down to the position of the low to our east and any associated fronts it brings, way too early to worry about snow at the moment. Don't let weather rule your life, blimey if we took model predictions literally, we'd never go out!acute.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

fain (fen, to forbid) - Chiefly [brit] School slang, orig. dial.

Used in the expression fains or fain(s) I, fain it, fainit(e)s: see quots. [EA]

1870 N. & Q. 4th Ser. VI. 415/2 ‘Fains’, or ‘Fain it’{em}A term demanding a ‘truce’ during the progress of any game, which is always granted by the opposing party. Ibid. 517/1 A boy who had ‘killed’ another at marbles, that is hit his marble, would call out ‘Fain it’, meaning ‘You mustn't shoot at me in return’; or if a boy was going to shoot, and some inequality of surface was in his way, which he would have cleared away, his antagonist would prevent him by calling out ‘Fain clears’. Ibid. 517/2 If a prefect wants anything fetched for him and does not say by whom, those who wish to get off going say ‘Fain I’. 1889 BARRÈRE & LELAND Dict. Slang, Faints [sic], in vogue among schoolboys to express a wish temporarily to withdraw from participation in the particular sport or game being played. 1891 FARMER Slang, Fains! Fainits! Fain it! 1913 C. MACKENZIE Sinister St. I. I. vii. 103 He could shout ‘fain I’ to be rid of an obligation and ‘bags I’ to secure an advantage. 1927 W. E. COLLINSON Contemp. English 14 The custom of putting oneself out of the game altogether by crossing the fingers and saying pax! or faynights! [feinaits] or both together. 1948 J. BETJEMAN Coll. Poems (1958) 150 ‘I'd rather not.’ ‘Fains I.’ ‘It's up to you.’ 1960 Guardian 1 July 9/7 The Englishman..could remain absolutely pax and fainites. 1969 I. & P. OPIE Children's Games i. 18 This rule is so embedded in children's minds that their immediate response to the proposal of a game is to cry out..‘Me fains first’. Ibid., He must safeguard himself by saying in one gulp, ‘Let's-play-Tig-fains-I-be-on-it’. [OED online]

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!!

A little tune to brighten up this dreary day......Beach Boys anyone?

Well South East girls are hip

I really dig their charming flair

And the Essex girls with the way they tan

Who needs the sun when you're down there?

The Kentish gardens daughters make the rain seem warm and light

And the Sussex girls are all snow obsessed

They watch the lampposts late at night

I wish they all could be South and Eastern

I wish they all could be South and Eastern girls

The South East coast has sunshine

But they'd trade it all for snow

If you threw in a blizzard, just for a laugh

The South and Eastern girls would glow.

I've been all round the UK

And I've seen all kinds of girls

But there's never a place,

Who thinks an inch is just ace,

Like the South and Eastern belles

I wish they all could be South and Eastern girls

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and plenty of it.

Well, the FAIN brought back some memories. Obviously, as 7 yr olds or so we never knew the origin of the word but we used to say "veinies" but that was a long, long time ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!!

Very good Nikki

(I really should get on with some work, trying to get motivated in the dully, dullness rolleyes.gif )

Posted

(I really should get on with some work, trying to get motivated in the dully, dullness rolleyes.gif )

I've got plenty you can be doing, dull or bright!