Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion 05/02/13 08z ------->

A.J

Posted

http://scribblelive.mobi/Event/Blizzard_2013_Winter_storm_hits_Boston_Massachusetts_New_England?Theme=2235

Shame were not looking at something like that. Don't understand why that a storm of that magnitude seems impossible this side of the Atlantic.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Im keeping a close eye on tomorrow, i should do well here in my location..

Cloudy, with snow developing and becoming heavy at times, giving significant accumulations. As much as 10 to 15cm is likely, accompanied by a fresh to strong southeasterly wind and a severe wind-chill. http://www.metoffice...Time=1360379893

Mon/Tue/Wed looks promising to.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

http://scribblelive....land?Theme=2235

Shame were not looking at something like that. Don't understand why that a storm of that magnitude seems impossible this side of the Atlantic.

I don't think it is impossible.

They are saying it's the biggest snowstorm for decades in the eastern US, so it's hardly common for them. I'm sure if we wait 50 years we'll get a similar event too.

Posted

Someone just posted this on SE thread

@Essexweather on twitter!

"Rain turning to sleet around Midday. Full snow by 6pm"

"5cm+ expected."

"Expect upgrade to Amber warning later today"

Bring it on!!!

These guys were near perfect during the last cold spell.

Edited by Staffordshire

Posted

Looking like we should be ok for our drive down to Banbury and back tomorrow afternoon. Expecting there'll be at least a light dusting by Monday morning though, and at most there'll be enter amount here.

Posted

Mate of mine in Connecticut has just posted some pics on Facebook. 80cm of snow. You cannot see his car!!!!!. Cannot wait to show him the 2-5cm we are expecting. I bet he will wet himself with laughter.

Was out with a friend last night who has to fly back to New York on Monday. He lives in New England. Ouch

Posted

In terms of volume of rain and location, 12z GFS is a bit of an upgrade.

However...

It has it more as rain, and little of it as snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

Excited to see what the week brings, certainly had more days of falling snow this winter than any I can remember in my life time

Posted

I really think most of this will be rain now. Temps don't get down to 1c until after about 9pm and the 850hpa temps don't get much colder than -3c for our area.

yep a slight NE shift on there, when is this teasing going to stop?!?!

Also it's worth noting last time MetO had a warning out for snow, GFS said it was going to be rain just like it is with sundays event. GFS was right, it was rain. MetO was wrong.

Edited by kmanmx

Posted

Can someone please post the radar/chart for predicted snow accumulations over UK , i havnt a clue where to look for this but have seen a few of these images posted in past snow events

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heavy Rain

I would be very surprised if we get anything from this! How the newspapers are allowed to put headlines out scaring people about the snow is beyond me!

Just look at wat the US has had upto 36" now thats blizzards not the threat of 2-5 cms

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Can someone please post the radar/chart for predicted snow accumulations over UK , i havnt a clue where to look for this but have seen a few of these images posted in past snow events

Is this the one you mean?

http://www.netweathe...tion=snow;sess=

(You need to change the drop down box - top left above the map - to precipitation type)

Fizz

Edited by fizz511

Posted

Hi !! No its a map of uk similar to that but with numbers indicating predicted levels of snowfall ???

Posted

Or to make it simple ............ what if any amount of snow predicted for NG16 area of nottinghamshire , approx 10 miles NE of City ???

Posted

Hi !! No its a map of uk similar to that but with numbers indicating predicted levels of snowfall ???

Ah, don't know then. The map I've just done the link for shows predicted mm of Rain / Rain & Snow / Snow by colour code, so presumed that was what you were after?

There's this one http://www.snow-forecast.com/maps/dynamic/uk and then I'm out of ideas!

:-)

Posted

Or to make it simple ............ what if any amount of snow predicted for NG16 area of nottinghamshire , approx 10 miles NE of City ???

Final offering............? http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=snowforecast;type=;sess=

Posted

Well if am reading the gfs charts right then the whole of the midlands is going to get a pummeling if snow tomorrow evening and night!!my concern now is the fact that the ukmo is showing temps of 2 or 3 degrees for tomorrow an up until this afternoon it was showing temps close to freezing!!confusing thing is the precipitation has also been backed west by ukmo so you would expect the colder air to be further west and temps to be colder aswell!!its all very confusing!

Posted

I really think most of this will be rain now. Temps don't get down to 1c until after about 9pm and the 850hpa temps don't get much colder than -3c for our area.

Also it's worth noting last time MetO had a warning out for snow, GFS said it was going to be rain just like it is with sundays event. GFS was right, it was rain. MetO was wrong.

METO were wrong, GFS were right for your area. In Long Eaton it was almost all rain, in Ilkeston all snow (5 miles apart), GFS had predicted rain for everyone. So METO were right for my area.

Posted

METO were wrong, GFS were right for your area. In Long Eaton it was almost all rain, in Ilkeston all snow (5 miles apart), GFS had predicted rain for everyone. So METO were right for my area.

Fair enough. From what I could tell it was pretty much rain for most people for the majority of night, except those at considerable elevation.

Posted

GFS 12z a load of rubbish, Wednesday's snow event gone to and tommorow's snow risk squashed by mild uppers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heavy Rain

Latest meto update another downgrade whats the point!!