Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Wales (Cymru) Regional Discussion 7th Februaury 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted

When the flakes get big the rain will soon follow, enjoy while it lasts!

yes i know, its true! stil its adding to the depth, and all looks very pretty out there now.

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Wouldn't bother with the WAG anyway. Waste of space. Moving on had heavy settling now earlier. Sleet now

Posted

Wouldn't bother with the WAG anyway. Waste of space. Moving on had heavy settling now earlier. Sleet now

Turned to rain at about 10.00am had a nice 1inc covering nice to see snow again,the only snow left is on grass areas.This has been a very good year for a number of snow events

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Turned to rain at about 10.00am had a nice 1inc covering nice to see snow again,the only snow left is on grass areas.This has been a very good year for a number of snow events

There was very little here at 8.30am just very patchy on grass, 3c rain

Posted

already said in intial talks with the assembly and a buisness adviser on this prject that if the national park dig their heels in and don't let me build up there - then this project will be a non starter - so I've that hurdle to cross 1st - but it doesn't hurt to get a few supporters on my side - and one of the biggest would be Carwyn Jones himself!

Afetr all - if I can create loads of jobs and bring loads of money into Wales - isn't that a good thing?

This is an idea I have given some thought to and come up with the following:

1) Clever financial stuff - such a project will make money in the cold years/periods and not the mild ones. Lots of other businesses it is the other way around, cold weather = more expense with heating, gritting roads etc. It would be useful for these other companies to hedge their risks so they can be certain of their costs rather than them varying year by year hence there is a potential 'win-win'

2) WE are in the East so possibly different but some periods we get cold but not snow so snowmaking sounds like a possible here this is obviously subject to temperatures and dew points but presumably cooling the water is likely to help and this will therefore generate spare heat which is obviously of value to other users so the installation should ideally be combined with another application where the spare heat (on a cold winters night) would be of value.

Edited by m1chaels

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Was excellent watching the large snowflakes fall as I drove to work this morning. Now drizzle in Swansea though

Posted

i'm working up in rumney and there is an inch of lying snow and it is still snowing, Reports of rain back home in Barry.

Edited by scoggs

Posted

This is an idea I have given some thought to and come up with the following:

1) Clever financial stuff - such a project will make money in the cold years/periods and not the mild ones. Lots of other businesses it is the other way around, cold weather = more expense with heating, gritting roads etc. It would be useful for these other companies to hedge their risks so they can be certain of their costs rather than them varying year by year hence there is a potential 'win-win'

2) WE are in the East so possibly different but some periods we get cold but not snow so snowmaking sounds like a possible here this is obviously subject to temperatures and dew points but presumably cooling the water is likely to help and this will therefore generate spare heat which is obviously of value to other users so the installation should ideally be combined with another application where the spare heat (on a cold winters night) would be of value.

plus in the spring/summer/autumn - just like ben nevis and cairngorms - they run a tourism set up and mountain biking tracks too!

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

You'll never guess who I had a pdf letter from today addressed to my personal self and signed by him also!

go on guess

CARWYN JONES

AMAZING - thanked me for my ideas on the NHS and some other matters - but also said he was unable to come to my Whitney Houston show in March at the Coal Exchange - but sends his regards to all involved and wishes us well with the event and raising money for the renal transplant ward at the the heath hospital - being such a good cause.

AIN'T THAT AMAZINGgood.gif

Posted

Light hail I reported this morning turned to snow when the precip intensified, had a fair covering at about 9, 9.30ish (timing made it technically a day of snow lying, reluctant as I am to count it as it was so brief). It stopped settling by about 10 but continued snowing moderately until about 12, 12.30 or so and then turned to rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Temp : 1.4c

DP : +1.1c

Humidity : 98%

Weather : Drizzle

Lying snow thawing into a real slushy mess.

Posted

Well winter the winter has been pretty good so far but as the song goes

Edited by keithlucky

Posted

Solar activity is so low in cycle 24 it"s about to drop off the cliff SC24%20January%202013.jpg

Edited by keithlucky

Posted

Cold horizontal rain this evening, not at all pleasant.

ECM/UKMO charts look great for cold from the middle of next week, though it's a long way outn Ian F's comments in the mod thread on MOGREPS not being fully on board should provide an added note of caution. On the positive side the PV is finally modelled to depart Canada and move towards Scandi which gives a better prospect for proper Greenland height rises than we have seen so far this winter.

Posted

Snow here down west very early this morning, gave a good covering and then the rain pepped up. Didn't expect to see any as it was progged as an eastern affair. So always welcome to see. Pretty cold feeling all day bit it would be nice to have some sunshine - just one day!

Posted

absolutely chucking it with rain and it;s like pea soup (foggy) outside glad to be home in the warm.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Max 9c this evening rain heavy at times.

Posted

people starting to get excited in model thread, talk of snow early next week in east and then moving west. also showing some very cold runs but they are many many days away and as we know things can change within hours. sounds like we going to have a few warmer days now with not so much rain for the next couple.so they said on itv weather. that be nice to see

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

people starting to get excited in model thread, talk of snow early next week in east and then moving west. also showing some very cold runs but they are many many days away and as we know things can change within hours. sounds like we going to have a few warmer days now with not so much rain for the next couple.so they said on itv weather. that be nice to see

some people are getting confused in there, although the models are looking great, for next week, it looks v cold and dry for many as the high to our north is very close. It is only once the high moves north with a potential retrogression to Greenland that snow potential increases. But turning cold, poss v cold again, dry and frosty at first with the potential for snow risk to increase towards next weekend. Too far away though.

Posted

some people are getting confused in there, although the models are looking great, for next week, it looks v cold and dry for many as the high to our north is very close. It is only once the high moves north with a potential retrogression to Greenland that snow potential increases. But turning cold, poss v cold again, dry and frosty at first with the potential for snow risk to increase towards next weekend. Too far away though.

dry and cold do me great, dry sunny cold to start then dry sunny warm to follow be fantastic ha ha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow

dry and cold do me great, dry sunny cold to start then dry sunny warm to follow be fantastic ha ha

No no no!! Dry sunny cold then 2ft of snow to end winter then dry sunny warm lol

Posted

With our regional forum so quiet you'd never think there was a cold spell in the offing next week. Whether it's dry surface cold (GFS), a very cold easterly (UKMO), a snowy complex easterly (ECM) or a Greenland high and epic cold (ECM 0z), there's plenty to get excited about IMO. At worst a return of cold frosty nights, at best a repeat of January's lovely snow. Yey! acute.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Yes like many, im not fussed whether its cold and frosty or cold and snowy, as long as it is not mild drizzly foggy trash