Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales (Cymru) Regional Discussion 7th Februaury 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather

I think areas like Cardiff could still be hit by this snow from the south....

Hope you're right!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Cloudy with Light Snow

Temp : +1.0c (-0.37c/per hour)

DP : 0.7c

RH : 98%

Wind : 9mph NNE

Wind chill : -2.0c

Baro : 1009mb (rising slowly)

Posted

rain today radar is looking good now - precip seems to be making progress over the channel - yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Posted

bit chilly on the willy today guys ha ha,in fact its blooming freezing that wind is biting for sure. looks like we going to have a cold week and then milder by end of the week. thought and hoped we saw the last of this cold. roll on summer nice blue skys and warm temps. to get that probs need to move a long way from Wales but fingers crossed we get a decent summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

what a time for my central heating to break down!

Posted

looking at the metoffice rain radar the pricip over the channel is moving north and not far from me now .things may get interesting later !!

Posted

yes we are like the jam in the sandwhich - front coming down from the north front coming up from the south - maybe it'll all go bang and explode in loads of SNOWWWWWWWWWWW

Edited by andymusic

Posted

I just looked at rain radar and I think it may not push upto us in wales, if you look at percip at 14.00 it looks like it doesn't march in any further and if im correct it does look like it goes back towards channel a little,maybe im wrong but does look like that to me,be interesting when next half hr comes on.

Posted

snow not far away - quote from the south west thread from someone in north somerset - just south of us

"Can confirm light snow now falling ,but only very light .wind as picked up and sky looking darker .looks like an interesting 24hrs or so for us in this area .i think at this stage it could go either way ,it only needs a little push north and your talking about warm air aloft ,this can travell quite quickly and with very cold air well and trully now in we all could get some action .the forecast was always open to adjustment so with luck on our side heres hoping .keep an eye on that radar and will it north ,off to set up garden furniture for snow pictures and set up Halogen light for flake watching ,best of luck to all .Posted Image "

latest update from helen at the beeb

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/21734144

edit:- radar update - front is now just going through passport control at Barry (Gavin & Stacey land) - just having it's papers checked before moving into Wales - yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

It looks like the S.Wales snow shield is setting up ;(

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess=

Posted

yes looks very much that it wont make it into wales, I noticed on radar 40 mins ago but now showing it being pushed back and nothing coming into wales.

Posted

yes looks very much that it wont make it into wales, I noticed on radar 40 mins ago but now showing it being pushed back and nothing coming into wales.

Still early yet - there's the main front to push through too - not over just yet!

edit:- latest nae is still going for a little snow for Wales - can't post right now because net weather website is playing up - probably all those south englanders all getting excited and crashing the site lol

edit 2: - winds are really getting up here as the two fronts get closer and closer together

Edited by andymusic

Posted

I agree, the precip is behaving very much as forecast, perhaps a smidgen (20-30miles) further north than NMM 0z showed it, but certainly no major difference. Anybody who expected or is expecting snowfall across Wales from that particular front is deluding themselves IMO.

A few flakes in the air here this afternoon but no more than that, hoping to catch the tail end of some showers from the east coast later.

Trouble is the weak front from the north is also further north than forecast, meaning that 1) precip from the northern front has stalled over the midlands rather than progressing into Wales, wouldn't have been a lot anyway, but perhaps our best chance of seeing some snow falling and; 2) cold air hasn't penetrated as far south as quickly as forecast, so even if the southern front does make landfall it will be rain; and 3) the northern front needs to clear before convective precip can start to reach us from the english east coast.

So all in all chances of snow today reduced though we should still see some flakes later I hope.

The Northern Front was never going to make it here anyway, I mentioned the other day about the trade off between the front being north and the cold air getting here. I don't fancy the chances of any convective activity getting this far west to be honest.

Besides it seems irrelevant as the front seems to be stalled in the channel anyway.

Of course, we are in different places, so we are after different things.

Posted

Well looks like I was wrong, radar shows precip now moving north into coastal regions of S Wales, and as scoggs reports snow in Barry. I am surprised and expect theprecip to turn around and head south again shortly, but you never know, could be be a dusting between say Cardiff and Swansea, maybe pushing as far north as the valleys.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Well looks like I was wrong, radar shows precip now moving north into coastal regions of S Wales, and as scoggs reports snow in Barry. I am surprised and expect theprecip to turn around and head south again shortly, but you never know, could be be a dusting between say Cardiff and Swansea, maybe pushing as far north as the valleys.

Gf just told me it snowing in Talbot Green.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

Light sleet/snow in Cardiff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Yes snowing here in Cardiff, blowing in the wind!! Settling on cars!

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Light blowing snow now in Rhoose ...down to 2c very quickly and the wind has picked up !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Very overcast with some light snow, 2C and that wind feels cold