Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

March 2013 CET (2012/13 CET Competition)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Have we beaten 1962 or not? I guess that's the fundamental question.

Yep.

1962 CET = 2.8C

2013 CET = 2.7C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Yep.

1962 CET = 2.8C

2013 CET = 2.7C

Cheers,

I guess the media need to adjust some of their headlines then. Big difference between 50 years and well over 100.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

Cheers,

I guess the media need to adjust some of their headlines then. Big difference between 50 years and well over 100.

To find a cooler March, you have to go back to 1883, which was 1.9C.

The 10 years from 1883 to 1892 averaged a March CET of just 4.1C

Posted

Yep.

1962 CET = 2.8C

2013 CET = 2.7C

That's impressive! So in just over 2 years we have experienced the coldest Dec and March in over 100 years! biggrin.png

Karyo

Posted

I think for the UK mean Mar 1962 was colder than Mar 2013, so the media are accurate in their reporting (if I'm correct). However, to ignore/omit a more important figure in the coldest March for 121 years in the CET zone, the world's oldest temperature series, seems a little odd. I can only assume that they are unaware of it.

Posted

I think for the UK mean Mar 1962 was colder than Mar 2013, so the media are accurate in their reporting (if I'm correct). However, to ignore/omit a more important figure in the coldest March for 121 years in the CET zone, the world's oldest temperature series, seems a little odd. I can only assume that they are unaware of it.

Well I've seen the CET used many times before in the media so this is why it's baffling me. Plus like you say, it's such a historic series.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

To find a cooler March, you have to go back to 1883, which was 1.9C.

Phew! It came before the eruption of Krakatau...

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

What a great month, am glad to have lived through it. When people remember Winter 2012/2013, they will remember March.

Not so great when you're touring a play the length and breadth of Gt Britain for twelve weeks from late January, and imagined that at least the second half of the tour would see some spring weather! The experience is in grave danger of turning me from passionate 'coldie' into a man desperate for warmth - I seem to have been feeling cold continuously for as long as I can remember. Not over yet, either - the tour or the cold - I'm off to Glasgow tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Not so great when you're touring a play the length and breadth of Gt Britain for twelve weeks from late January, and imagined that at least the second half of the tour would see some spring weather! The experience is in grave danger of turning me from passionate 'coldie' into a man desperate for warmth - I seem to have been feeling cold continuously for as long as I can remember. Not over yet, either - the tour or the cold - I'm off to Glasgow tomorrow.

Each to their own. I think a lot of us want some warmth, me included, but if someone offered me the coldest March in 100 years I would take it no matter what the circumstances!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Doesn't even get a mention on the bbc main news page, call me cynical but im sure it would've had it been the warmest march in over a hundred years, pretty sure they went on loads about last march for example.

Posted

Doesn't even get a mention on the bbc main news page, call me cynical but im sure it would've had it been the warmest march in over a hundred years, pretty sure they went on loads about last march for example.

Like I said, it does surprise me. I do remember a vid from the BBC weather site which stated 1962 was very unlikely to be beaten so perhaps that's why there's no willingness to highlight it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The met office website still has the following

Looking at individual countries, March 2013 is likely to be the 4th coldest on record for England, joint third coldest for Wales, joint 8th coldest for Scotland and 6th coldest for Northern Ireland.

http://www.metoffice...arch-statistics

Think that will be getting changed later this week when they release the final stats

Edited by Gavin.

Posted

Is it not a bank holiday in the UK? Does the BBC usually focus on the CET for their weather reports?

Give the media and Met Office a chance to get hold of and put together some official releases. If there's little or nothing tomorrow then I might think there is something up.

Posted

I do love the impatience of some of you, roll out the conspiracy theory, I do wonder if some of you do anything other sit hunched over your pc?

Can any of you suggest why the Met O would falsify any figures?

Have some of you ever heard of professional integrity and honesty

strewth

Posted

They'll be having a crisis meeting right now, trying to work out how to pin in on climate change.

Posted

fine but show us some proof please?

Posted

The mean march temp for ENGLAND in 1962 was 2.3.... Not the same as the CET ,which is a measurement from a smaller area.

Edited by DAVID SNOW

Posted

CET trackometer of March 2013

1. 3.8

2. 3.6

3. 3.3

4. 3.6

5. 4.2

6. 4.4

7. 4.6

8. 4.9

9. 4.9

10. 4.6

11. 4.1

12. 3.8

13. 3.7

14. 3.5

15. 3.6

16. 3.7

17. 3.7

18. 3.7

19. 3.7

20. 3.6

21. 3.5

22. 3.5

23. 3.3

24. 3.2

25. 3.1

26. 3.0

27. 2.9

28. 2.9

29. 2.8

30. 2.8

31. 2.7

Remarkable how the month went backwards, the gap between the climatic average and the actual temperatures got wider and wider.

Edited by Weather-history

Posted

I do love the impatience of some of you, roll out the conspiracy theory, I do wonder if some of you do anything other sit hunched over your pc?

Can any of you suggest why the Met O would falsify any figures?

Have some of you ever heard of professional integrity and honesty

strewth

I don't recall anyone claiming the MetO are falsifying figures. The most simple explanation is that the media are unaware of the CET figures or are waiting for official confirmation, why this same principle didn't apply to the UK figure is anyone's guess. The worst case scenario is that they are being economical with the truth, but I very much doubt that is the case. I also doubt many on here are impatient conspiracy theorists, give us a bit of credit.

Posted

Seems slightly surprising but I'm sure I remember plenty of media headlines about the coldest month for 18 or 22 years or some similar figure in the winters of 2009 and 2010, perhaps more so than a warmest X month for about 20 years. December 2010 was very widely reported so I can only assume they don't know or haven't published articles yet. It was not the coldest for over 100 years in the UK as a whole though and I notice they tend to use the UK figures more.

People saying thins like this shows or is evidence that global warming/climate change is not happening/made up, or that we are entering a mini ice age and saying things like 'Another nail in the AGW coffin' based on one month in well under 1% of the world surface area make me either want to laugh or cry. I bet most of the very same people accuse the media etc for jumping on single warm months as evidence for global warming (and I would probably agree with their criticism mainly).

On a different note something else I thought is that several years ago near the end of the 'm*dern winter' spell, a few people doubted a sub 3C winter month was possible, now we've had one in March!

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted

I think on the whole most of the public really aren't going to care about how many years this month has been the coldest since. The only thing the majority of people care about is that it was an unusually cold one, particularly noted by the extreme mean maximum.

It's only a small group of people (some of whom post here) that actually care about it enough to moan that it hasn't been published yet, one day after the months end. It certainly doesn't dispute global warming. Technically the globe was warming in the 60s but of course it didn't prevent some exceptionally cold months that decade.

Still many people miraculously forget 2011 was an exceptionally warm year overall, second warmest year on record. Despite that the year on year temperature trend has dropped to some degree but to nowhere near the levels of a few decades ago and this year can still potentially hit the warm category. Good example of a similar year up to this point being 1976 but some hot months later in the year far outweighed the cold ones early and late.

Edited by Optimus Prime

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

March isn't winter. Doh.

What I care about is the heating bill. Last year March heating was off.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

fine but show us some proof please?

Here's one from last year:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17595024

Also numerous other links to sunshine records, single day records etc, if you search on march warm on bbc site.

Probably being over cynical though and with it being a bank holiday today as well, best wait a day or two before reaching any premature conclusions.

Posted

I think on the whole most of the public really aren't going to care about how many years this month has been the coldest since. The only thing the majority of people care about is that it was an unusually cold one, particularly noted by the extreme mean maximum.

It's only a small group of people (some of whom post here) that actually care about it enough to moan that it hasn't been published yet, one day after the months end. It certainly doesn't dispute global warming. Technically the globe was warming in the 60s but of course it didn't prevent some exceptionally cold months that decade.

Still many people miraculously forget 2011 was an exceptionally warm year overall, second warmest year on record. Despite that the year on year temperature trend has dropped to some degree but to nowhere near the levels of a few decades ago and this year can still potentially hit the warm category. Good example of a similar year up to this point being 1976 but some hot months later in the year far outweighed the cold ones early and late.

Agree with your first paragraph. Don't agree that people are "moaning" about what has or hasn't been covered in the media. Some just find it slightly odd the CET value hasn't yet be covered when the UK one has. I, for one, am not wearing a tin foil hat.