Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Regional Discussion 22nd February 2013 20:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Just to show that it ain't only newbies that don't know things...What does PMSL mean, anyone?

sounds like hiss my self laughing

Edited by DAVID SNOW

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Nope - that swear filter is too clever for mes myself laughing

Cheers mate.good.gif fool.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Heat, Thunderstorms

Just to show that it ain't only newbies that don't know things...What does PMSL mean, anyone?

P I S * myself laughing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Really unpleasant week to come with slate grey skies and occasional drizzle...horrid.

Posted

it means

Prediction More Snow Likely rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

it means

Prediction More Snow Likely rofl.gif

JP is the upper warm front for tomorrow coming early, in the fax it stayed of shore till tomorrow, but it looks like it may be entering now.

Posted

JP is the upper warm front for tomorrow coming early, in the fax it stayed of shore till tomorrow, but it looks like it may be entering now.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=nae&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=taup&HH=12&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

dew points looks too high from midnight on

ukmo shows this

UW6-7.GIF?24-16

UW12-7.GIF?24-16

UW18-7.GIF?24-16

UW24-7.GIF?24-16

the uppers start mixing out around 1am

so chance still of snow to rain at present

Posted

Hastings weather service to be scrapped?

THE council’s weather service, which monitors the town’s rainfall, hours of sunshine and tides is set to be scrapped after more than 130 years. Hastings Borough Council employs a meteorologist, together with three assistants, who could all face the axe if the recommendation is given the go-ahead at next Wednesday’s budget meeting. All four work part-time on a rota basis and the service costs £8,000 a year to run.

Many people, such as fishermen, use the tide data provided by the authority. The weather and high tides are also printed in the Observer each week. Cllr Jeremy Birch, leader of Hastings Borough Council, said the authority was having to face making tough decisions in the wake of losing £1.7 million in Government funding, as reported in the Observer last month. He said: “We are carrying out budget reductions across the whole council and the weather service is something that we have had to look at.

“We are hoping we can continue this service because there are a lot of people in Hastings who would be interested in operating it voluntarily. It does not require a huge amount of work.†David Powell, borough meteorologist, has been gathering weather data for Hastings for more than 15 years. He said: “It would be a great shame if the service did stop as it has been operating for 138 years since 1875. “If it is stopped it may never be started up again.

“We supply more than the necessary information to the Met Office and Weathernet, the Environment Agency, as well as Weather magazine, produced by the Royal Meteorological Society. “The only time we did not supply information was during the war.â€

Kevin Boorman, the council’s spokesman and marketing manager, said: “It would obviously be great if we could get volunteers to help us run this service from April, it’s always great to see Hastings being the hottest or sunniest place in the country.â€

http://www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/news/town-s-weather-service-is-set-to-be-scrapped-1-4816211

Posted

Nothing much to report from Eastbourne today. Some light flurries have been falling since first thing but there just isn't the precipitable moisture up there to make anything more of it

So instead of looking up in the sky I looked down on the ground and it's just amazing what nature is, as I found this skeleton:

https://forum.netweather.tv/gallery/image/17712-24th-feb-2013-3/

https://forum.netweather.tv/gallery/image/17711-24th-feb-2013-2/

https://forum.netweather.tv/gallery/image/17710-24th-feb-2013-1/

https://forum.netweather.tv/gallery/image/17709-24th-feb-2013-4/

Posted

^^ I would volunteer, if only I could get a job down there in the meantime. Thats not going well. It does seem a bit shortsighted to close something which is costing so little in the first place, especially for somewhere that still likes to think of itself as a resort, and with Europes largest beach based fishing fleet still operating from there. sorry.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

That beats me. Congrats

Can I thank you for your honesty, Sir/Madam. hi.gif

Regards,

Tom.

Edited by TomSE20

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

^^ I would volunteer, if only I could get a job down there in the meantime. Thats not going well. It does seem a bit shortsighted to close something which is costing so little in the first place, especially for somewhere that still likes to think of itself as a resort, and with Europes largest beach based fishing fleet still operating from there. sorry.gif

Sound like they are needed at the very least, for the fishing fleet if nothing else. Sounds silly to srap them.

Posted

gfs-0-120.png?12

gfs at 120

UW120-21.GIF?24-17

ukmo at 120

look similar

however

gfs-0-144.png?12

gfs at 144

UW144-21.GIF?24-17

ukmo at 144

totally different

look to our north -north east

be interesting to see what ecm makes of this

Edited by john pike

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

I would say winter has Ended after this weekend.

Overall it was a fairly Decent winter just the lack of Greenland heights was a real shame and a reluctant PV that just didn't want to leave.

I must say I never actually saw that much snowfall last year we had one major snowfall event this year was a sort of let down for me as I missed out on the Fridays front in January.

Well here to say roll on spring this post may seem bullish but I think its the honest truth.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Hi CWT,

I think most of us would like the kind of winter weather you crave although most of us wouldn’t be so bold as to put it into predictions as you do.blum.gif

The frequency of severe winter weather for the south-east has been and will always be rare, an extended winter with heavy lying snow that you mentioned above hasn’t happened here for 50 years now. It is so rare for all the pieces of the puzzle to be in place to produce this. It is now 22 and 26 years since the last great cold and snowy easterlies!

2012/13 will go down for me as the winter of near misses, lots of potential but never quite potent and often too marginal. Look at this current spell, how often have we had a period this long with such cold uppers, sadly pressure has just been too high to take advantage of them.

I know you don’t like northerlies but even on occasions these too come off for the south-east, I first became interested in the weather late in 1978 when we had some amazingly stormy weather that wiped out many a tourist pier along our coastline and was followed by a potent northerly in Jan 1979 that produced Blizzards and I mean real blizzards with some amazing snowdrifts. Again all the pieces of the puzzle fell into place that year.

I’m afraid weather is a free spirit it can often be bland and average but just on occasions it can catch us all out and long may it continue!

On a personal note I wouldn’t mind a cold spring followed by a decent summer, we don’t seem to have had one now since the heat of 2003.biggrin.png

2005 and 2006 were pretty hot!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

pssst.........anyone fancy a new thread?......going free......fell of the back of a lorry.....know what I mean?...nudge, nudge, wink, wink.......

Anyhoos, no idea what I'm rambling on about, must be time for my 'happy pills' crazy.gif

.............................link to follow shortly

Guest bjaykent

2005 and 2006 were pretty hot!

LOL! certainly forgotten the heat of Jun/Jul 2006, I think the main reason I don't have quite such good memories of these two summers is that both had pretty average Augusts when the kids were off school.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

here you go, new thread -------------->

locking this one now